Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Request] "Tournament", "Recent games" needs spoiler prevention.

Basic Member

[Request] "Tournament", "Recent games" needs spoiler prevention.

As you can see in this image: http://imgur.com/p0x4uuL - it's pretty obvious that either NTh or NaVi will win 2-0. It's also obvious that the BO3 below will end up 2-1. If I watch the first game of the 2-1 matchup, I know who wins the second game. If I watch the first game of the 2-0 matchup I know who wins the second game, and also wins that particular BO3.

The in-game tournament tab needs some sort way to prevent spoilers. This kind of makes me regret the purchase yesterday, and it makes me only able to buy BO1 tournament tickets, or watch all games live (which I cannot do).

Basic Member
    I entirely agree.

I'm positive that this has been requested since the tournament passes first came out, and it's ridiculous that they STILL haven't implemented this. The International 2012 had a perfectly functional solution for this: just have a dummy "3rd game" item that gives a "This game was not actually played" dialog when one attempts to actually watch it. It really upsets me that Valve has the audacity to make these tickets available but haven't done anything about this yet. It's been more than eight months since they started selling tickets, it's utterly inexcusable.

Basic Member
    Inexcusable?

It's a very low priority feature.
    Notable threads:
    Base Model Error List

Quote Originally Posted by Devozade View Post
    Inexcusable?

It's a very low priority feature.
    No it should be an extremely high priority feature considering this is where a lot of revenue is generated. It's important to consider the DOTA 2 business model here: cosmetics and tournaments need to function in a way that people want to continue to pay for them.

The fact that I know the results of the tournament from the UI is really disappointing often, it makes it so I select the second game in a series to watch first, and the little ticker underneath the team names makes it so if I accidentally glimpse at it I will already know the outcome of the match before it is over. A game loses a lot of it's flavor when you know the outcome.

Consider this: as it currently stands in DotA 2 most tournaments don't do a good job of making sure all their matches happen on time AND tournaments happen at all sorts of weird hours. It's impossible to catch all the matches for a tournament live. Matches for the Defense 3 in the finals stages were rescheduled all over the goddamn place to the point that I couldn't trust either the in game UI or the defense website. This is common in pro-DotA.

When being able to watch it live is not something you can reliably depend on for a tournament pass, you should make sure that watching it after the fact emulates the live experience as much as possible.

And consider the other element here: we are talking about a UI upgrade, not a new character or model or anything that requires balancing or voicework or extensive testing. And it is a UI upgrade that is directly relevant to the game's revenue stream. Inexcusable is appropriate language here.

Everyone I talk to who pays for DOTA 2 ingame tournament passes has voiced a complaint like this about the UI, and if you are a fellow buyer of these it's only a matter of time before you get upset that you already know Team Liquid, VP, insert team here lost when it was a match-up you were excited about. Because it's a small thing amongst the fraction of the dota population who buy tournament passes it doesn't get a ton of traction compared to the stuff everyone experiences, but it is something that anyone who buys tournament passes tends to at least wonder why there isn't something preventing you from getting spoilers. It's a no-brainer.

Basic Member
    I think a mouseover/hover on the results to show the final score you would something fairly easy to implement and minimal that gets the job done.

Basic Member
    +1 makes me second-guess buying tickets when I can just watch a 1080p youtube vid that has dud links for the 3rd/5th game if it's a bo3/5 stomp and NOT have the godamn games spoiled.

Basic Member
    This is an important community issue that would be very simple to program a solution for.

I thought something was already being done about this? Been waiting for something spoiler-free for so long, and it's almost trivial to think of something better. My friends and I have discussed this a few times already and solutions are there ready to be picked. Such an easy win for very little time investment. Not everyone is in the right timezone for live dota! And if you can't watch live dota, then you know all the results before you can watch the games 80% of the time. Not the right way for me to get into dota if everything happens before 7am my time. Then the whoooole day I'm up, complete silence in the dota scene. Only thing I can do is find the big games of last night without hopefully spoiling the result (which is almost impossible to do in-game or on sites like JD). If I spoil the result of the game I wanted to see, then I got nothing to watch again. I'm just going to go do other stuff.
    Last edited by loose_seal; 03-24-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Basic Member
    Posted in the other thread aswel but yeah, +1 to this. It is almost impossible to watch a game in the tournament tab without having the result of a game being spoiled.
    Pretty strange that this hasn't been implemented, given the date on which in-game tournament viewing was added. And don't start on 'low priority feature', this is huge to viewers, has a very simple solution and i cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't be equally simple to program it.

..then again; http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=760223. 5 years and 30 pages of complaints, still waiting for this incredibly simple feature xD