Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Alt+ left-clicking shouldn't universally trigger pings

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Alt+ left-clicking shouldn't universally trigger pings

I have my inventory hotkeys set up like so:

Top row: alt+q, alt+w, alt+e

Bottom row: alt+a, alt+s, alt+d

Everytime I use an inventory item that requires left clicking something after item activation via hotkeys, the game also pings. So whenever I use tangos, or blink dagger, or urn, etc. the game will ping the map, potentially causing confusion. It's not that big of a deal but still something I think should be fixed.

After you press Alt+(insert hotkey), you could always just... let.... go.... of alt? It doesn't require you to remain holding alt and click on the map to use the item once you've activated the hotkey for the item you want to use. I use the same key binds that you do and I never have a problem...

Basic Member
    If you rapidly activate and click it will ping. My item activation and use is near instantaneous and so the game will read it as a ping.

I'll give this a try tonight.

Basic Member
    yes same to me, I am used to alt+qwe for items and target click items also produces a ping, of course if you stop pressing alt before clicking it does not ping but as stated in fast situation it is not possible and ping randomly in a fight create confusion.

Basic Member
    It should be fixed to be like how it was in wc3.

Quote Originally Posted by DysfunktinaL View Post
    After you press Alt+(insert hotkey), you could always just... let.... go.... of alt? It doesn't require you to remain holding alt and click on the map to use the item once you've activated the hotkey for the item you want to use. I use the same key binds that you do and I never have a problem...
    Stupid suggestion lol, DotA is a game of speed, reaction, and many more. When blinking or eating a tree or using a potion instantaneously, you don't have time to let go of ALT. Timing and precision is KEY in DotA, so just fix it like it is in Wc3, and disable pinging if you have a spell/attack cursor up.
    Last edited by poochop; 01-03-2012 at 09:16 PM.

+1 to this. It is surely possible to release alt, but my teammates often get confused of accident pings.
    imo, poochop's suggestion is the most suitable one.

This, now.

Basic Member
    i have the same problem. especially if i'm in a situation where i'm waiting for blink to come up to escape and i'm spamming my hotkey alt+(key) and left clicking. i start spam pinging like an idiot until my blink goes off. nobody can see the minimap where i'm pinging and it's pretty annoying.

easy solutions, as already stated:

1. disable pings when item or ability use cursor is active
    2. add option to disable left-click map ping. (while leaving left-click minimap ping enabled)