Thread: A camera "follow/lock" option for the game.

Basic Member

A camera "follow/lock" option for the game.

Now I know it's not a huge deal, but I think having the option for the camera to follow you around, or "lock," onto you or a selected object, ally, or enemy in the game would be pretty nice. Some people may liek they way it is now, but the option to have both would be nice and it hardly seems like trouble to put it in. DOTA2 already has it's own thing with all the options it provides you to use. So having a camera follow/lock option would not only be nice, but helpful in game. Not sure if it sould be under options or just a button on the HUD, hotkey, or so on though. It hardly matters in truth. It's just that having to drag the screen with your mouse, or moving with whatever keys you may use, is distracting and complicated when you have to do it all the time. You may overshoot it, misclick when in battle, and adds a certain level of unneeded micro when it could just follow your hero around instead. This would provide a clear view of the area around you without working and allow you to focus on the battle or killing hero's and creep with going out of screen. And with the option between the two you can still look around the map without issue, plan ganks, and so fourth. You could even ignore the camera follow/lock option and play it as you normally would if you really wanted to. I'm propably not the first to say this or think of it. It may even be coming out. But I still think it'd be a great little addition to the game and would help with the interface alot.

Isn't this already in the game? You can disable camera side-scrolling and just double click on your hero portrait to lock the camera on to yourself. I've never done this though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, I personally hold down the middle-mouse button and drag the camera while I'm playing. Not sure if many people play DotA that way, but it's just my preference from side-scrolling the camera around.
    Last edited by Rizno; 03-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizno View Post
    Isn't this already in the game? You can disable camera side-scrolling and just double click on your hero portrait to lock the camera on to yourself. I've never done this though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, I personally hold down the middle-mouse button and drag the camera while I'm playing. Not sure if many people play DotA that way, but it's just my preference from side-scrolling the camera around.
    You have to double-tap the portrait without touching the borders else the game will pan out of the centered view. It's uncomfortable to use. A lock camera on selected unit type of button would come in handy especially for spectators / casters.

Basic Member
    put this in your autoexec.cfg

alias +single_follow "dota_camera_lock 1"
    alias -single_follow "dota_camera_lock 0"

bind X +single_follow

*X= pick a key
    If you don't have an intelligent reply for me, don't bother I will shred your non sense to pieces.