Thread: Opt-out Cosmetics or seperate Gamefiles

Basic Member

Opt-out Cosmetics or seperate Gamefiles

I would really like a feature to disable cosmetics (as in not being able to see them).

I'm playing the game because I want to actually play the game and not see some fancy new cosmetics with every update.
    I think it's pretty nice for people who want cosmetics and such things, but it kind of annoys me.
    I know there are some special cosmetics guidelines that require you to create cosmetics that match the Heroe's style, but I fear that with more and more cosmetics being added, one could lose track of what is what (I experienced it like this in TF2 which is one of the reasons I quit this game... ).

The other problem with the cosmetics is, that there are people out there that still have a bad internet connection (I for myself got a barely 3mbit/s down connection (I can download with ~350kb/s but my ping goes to around 1200ms and the whole connection is blocked for the time I'm downloading...). A friend of mine only got an ISDN connection (he is using a mobile connection (mobile phone SIM thingy) and his traffic is limited because of this).
    What my actual point is, loads of cosmetics might be nice, but they can get confusing and drive the game size to unnecessary heights.

I guess asking for a clean Dota 2 + some sort of free cosmetics DLC (only people using the DLC will see and download cosmetics) is too much to ask for?
    Well, then I'll only ask for an option to disable the cosmetics in-game.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Greetings from Germany,
    Schinken

Basic Member
    The internet and disk space argument doesn't work. You would still be downloading the cosmetics with every update regardless of whether you had them disabled or not. And, separate gamefiles would just be so unnecessary. It would hinder updates and slow development time having to tailor a secondary update to a small minority.
    Last edited by kirves; 04-18-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Basic Member
    Sorry to disappoint you but it's never going to happen. It's the only source of income to the game and it will not be disabled by Valve or anyone else.

Basic Member
    Additionally, the only way you would confuse a hero for another one would be if you're new to the game. In that case, it's your inexperience that leads to the confusion NOT the cosmetic item. Cover Juggernaut in as much shit as you want. I'll know who it is. Why? Because his hero portrait is in the top bar, he has the same voice, the same abilities, and so on. DOTA is a game where you're supposed to know and play around your opponents' heroes, so it's inexcusable to not know who you're playing against.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schinken View Post
    I would really like a feature to disable cosmetics (as in not being able to see them).

I'm playing the game because I want to actually play the game and not see some fancy new cosmetics with every update.
    I think it's pretty nice for people who want cosmetics and such things, but it kind of annoys me.
    I know there are some special cosmetics guidelines that require you to create cosmetics that match the Heroe's style, but I fear that with more and more cosmetics being added, one could lose track of what is what (I experienced it like this in TF2 which is one of the reasons I quit this game... ).

The other problem with the cosmetics is, that there are people out there that still have a bad internet connection (I for myself got a barely 3mbit/s down connection (I can download with ~350kb/s but my ping goes to around 1200ms and the whole connection is blocked for the time I'm downloading...). A friend of mine only got an ISDN connection (he is using a mobile connection (mobile phone SIM thingy) and his traffic is limited because of this).
    What my actual point is, loads of cosmetics might be nice, but they can get confusing and drive the game size to unnecessary heights.

I guess asking for a clean Dota 2 + some sort of free cosmetics DLC (only people using the DLC will see and download cosmetics) is too much to ask for?
    Well, then I'll only ask for an option to disable the cosmetics in-game.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Greetings from Germany,
    Schinken
    Cosmetics have little or no impact ingame coz the base heroes model/colour in dota is so distinct in dota.

For comparison purpose, a fren of mine who played dota last year july and stopped, then updated few weeks back was complaining about the size which was 2gig. So 2gig worth of update in 3/4 of a year is reasonable considering a lot of the 2 gig data are also event data, new hero data and gameplay data. cosmetics are at most 50mbs a month.