Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Bot Item Build Changes (still WIP)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    You can already, but it's only on local games.

All you have to do is extract the npc_heroes.txt file with GCFScape from the pak01_dir.vpk file, then open it and change the item builds which are in the format we posted above.
    Simply put the edited npc_heroes.txt file in the dota/scripts/npc folder of the Dota 2 directory and then add -override_vpk to Dota 2's launch options, and you're done. If you start a local game against bots, your changes will be used.

There's a big thread about it here: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=76241&page=3
    That's awesome, thank you.

Basic Member
    As of latest test client update on 20th of March, Sand King was added into the list of AI-playable heroes. Looking at his item set, I have noticed that he has his Blink Dagger completion first, after that he finishes Arcanes. Also, he don't gets Scepter that is useful at late-game initiation. Here's the way I have set him up:
    Code:
                           "item_flask"					"ITEM_CONSUMABLE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_tango"					"ITEM_CONSUMABLE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_clarity"					"ITEM_CONSUMABLE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_branches"					"ITEM_CORE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_branches"					"ITEM_CORE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_boots"					"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_energy_booster"			"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_arcane_boots"				"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_blink"					"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_helm_of_iron_will"		"ITEM_EXTENSION"
    				"item_robe"						"ITEM_EXTENSION"
    				"item_recipe_veil_of_discord"	"ITEM_EXTENSION"
    				"item_veil_of_discord"			"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_ogre_axe"                 "ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_staff_of_wizardry"        "ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_blade_of_alacrity"        "ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_point_booster"            "ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_ultimate_scepter"         "ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_platemail"				"ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_mystic_staff"				"ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_recipe_shivas_guard"		"ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_shivas_guard"				"ITEM_DERIVED"
    As you may see, now he finishes Arcane Boots first, then farms Blink Dagger. Aghanim's Scepter added into luxuries instead of BKB.
    Also I tagged him as Ganker and Semi-Carry and changed a bit his laning properties:
    Code:
    				"SoloDesire"			"0"
    				"RequiresBabysit"		"1"
    				"ProvidesBabysit"		"0"
    				"SurvivalRating"		"1"
    				"RequiresFarm"			"1"
    				"ProvidesSetup"			"1"
    				"RequiresSetup"			"1"
    Anyone to complain, feel free to do that, as that would help in proper build adjustment.
    Edit: Reworked the item build as Arxos suggested.
    Last edited by Anubis; 03-21-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Basic Member
    I absolutely agree that his Arcane Boots should be before Blink as well. Sure getting a really early blink is nice, but if he doesn't get good farm, which will often happen to a bot like SK, his blink dagger may take -ages-, that's -ages- where he has almost 0 mana to spend due to having an extremely low mana pool and no way to get it back. On top of that, blink costs quite a bit of mana as well. Just epicenter + blink + burrowstrike would fully deplete his mana pool without Arcane Boots.

I like what Chris did on the builds though, as he only went for 4 major items, plus boots that equals to 1 slot left for TP, which I believe is important, as many of the other bots will end up not having any slot left for TP, and as they're unable to swap out their boots for BoT's it's really a major weakness in their ability to defend the base.
    My personal suggestion would be to remove BKB and replace it with Agha's, though I'm not 100% sure how good SK is in his blink initiations. If you play SK properly, there's really no reason to get a BKB, but of course if he ends up trying to cast his Epicenter while next to enemy heroes, with the bots godlike channel interruption, it's bound to fail, and in that case BKB would be the better option.

Basic Member
    I have also reworked Jakiro's item build, here is it:
    Code:
    "item_flask"					"ITEM_CONSUMABLE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_tango"					"ITEM_CONSUMABLE | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_ring_of_protection"		"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_branches"					"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_sobi_mask"				"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_ring_of_basilius"			"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_magic_stick"				"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_recipe_magic_wand"		"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_magic_wand"				"ITEM_DERIVED | ITEM_SELLABLE"
    				"item_boots"					"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_energy_booster"			"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_arcane_boots"				"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_ring_of_regen"			"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_recipe_headdress"			"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_headdress"				"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_chainmail"				"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_recipe_buckler"			"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_buckler"					"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_recipe_mekansm"			"ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_mekansm"					"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_ring_of_regen"            "ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_staff_of_wizardry"        "ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_recipe_force_staff"       "ITEM_CORE"
    				"item_force_staff"              "ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_helm_of_iron_will"		"ITEM_EXTENSION"
    				"item_robe"						"ITEM_EXTENSION"
    				"item_recipe_veil_of_discord"	"ITEM_EXTENSION"
    				"item_veil_of_discord"			"ITEM_DERIVED"
    				"item_mystic_staff"				"ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_ultimate_orb"				"ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_void_stone"				"ITEM_LUXURY"
    				"item_sheepstick"				"ITEM_DERIVED"
    Changes:
    Mekansm, then Sheepstick? Well, that was fun. For a support like him it's next to impossible to get that much of gold to get Sheepstick. Added Force Staff (Jakiro has NO reliable escape mechanisms and is kinda slow), then Veil of Discord before Sheepstick.
    Laning properties also got changed:
    Code:
    "SoloDesire"			"0"
    				"RequiresBabysit"		"0"
    				"ProvidesBabysit"		"2"
    				"SurvivalRating"		"1"
    				"RequiresFarm"			"1"
    				"ProvidesSetup"			"1"
    				"RequiresSetup"			"1"
    About only 4 major items: still, I'd rather go with all slots in the item build filled, because bots would get their item pool full ONLY if the game scales into the very-late, and most of the games with bots end up somewhere between 25-40 minutes, which is kind of being closer to the midgame turning into lategame, so the bots anyway won't get their full set of items.
    Edit: VoD instead of Scepter; farm requirement decreased from 2 to 1 (sorry, I've messed it up a bit).
    Last edited by Anubis; 03-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    About only 4 major items: still, I'd rather go with all slots in the item build filled, because bots would get their item pool full ONLY if the game scales into the very-late, and most of the games with bots end up somewhere between 25-40 minutes, which is kind of being closer to the midgame turning into lategame, so the bots anyway won't get their full set of items.
    So you're saying 4 or 5 major items is irrelevant because they're never going to get there anyhow? What kind of argument is that? You are literally saying "Because they're never going to get 5 slotted, they should get 5 slotted"
    The fact is that if the game ever turns super late, many of the bots as they are now will not be carrying a TP scroll, whether the game ever will turn super late or not is moot.

I'd personally probably go VoD over Agha's on Jakiro, due to the fact that the damage difference isn't that huge but VoD also buffs your entire teams damage on top of being easier to get, but apart from that I agree with the build.

Basic Member
    Why does your Jakiro require farm?

Basic Member
    So you're saying 4 or 5 major items is irrelevant because they're never going to get there anyhow? What kind of argument is that? You are literally saying "Because they're never going to get 5 slotted, they should get 5 slotted"
    The fact is that if the game ever turns super late, many of the bots as they are now will not be carrying a TP scroll, whether the game ever will turn super late or not is moot.
    You are right on that, I've made an error and a stupid one.
    Why does your Jakiro require farm?
    He needs some (although small) farm to function properly. Still, you're right. I would decrease Require Farm to 1.

Basic Member
    I'd love to be able to define various itembuilds depending on the role of the hero. Like, when the bots choose that they pick a support Omni, he will get arcane, meka and stuff, but they can also choose to run him as a carry, so he gets radiance or so. That would be absolutely hilarious. Oh yeah, and being able to host local games for friends.

Basic Member
    We have to hope that's where it is heading ie, separate builds under each role tag, and later dynamic item building based on what role they are playing. Even role switching during games. It depends how far they intend to take the bots. It would be very cool from an AI nerd perspective to see them taken to the nth extreme as far as emulating human play goes.

But understandably the focus is on getting more bots added right now, and I can't imagine how complex actually programming proper conditional use of all dota abilities is. This is something that humans have a *slight* advantage in...

--

I like all those SK and Jakiro changes. How effective are they in games so far? I have to give them a run later. I do not play a good SK myself, so I rarely bother farming my blink, and instead build tank and support items. Does the SK bot know how to ult and shift queue blink on the correct tail waggle? If he does then he's a far better SK than I am.

Basic Member
    Does the SK bot know how to ult and shift queue blink on the correct tail waggle? If he does then he's a far better SK than I am.
    His AI, I guess, should be improved in the next patches, as Sand King makes some stupid mistakes.
    For example, once the Sand King Burrowstriked into unreachable location (in a place between trees after 2nd Bottom Dire tower) and was unable to Burrowstrike into the lane back.
    As for Shift-queue blink on the tail waggle, I haven't seen that (but in that game Dire team was completely screwed cuz of Dazzle playing as semi-carry and Radiant had Viper).
    Jakiro in action is a rare thing (as Omniknight), so I would have to check bots in more games.