Thread: Selecting an enemy Hero / Creep / Neutral

Banned

Selecting an enemy Hero / Creep / Neutral

Right now there is something kinda un-natural about the selection of enemies to check for their mana / items.
    If you click on one, and then issue a move command or any other command, you lose selection, sometimes not having the time to check whatever you were looking for, or even worse you might read your hero's value as the enemies.
    For example: I click the enemy to check mana, then quickly move my hero and the mana number I read is my own hero's and not the enemy's.
    Anyway there are three possible ways to do this.

1) The Warcraft 3 way: only 1 selection at a time, you need to reselect your hero to control.
    Considerations
    - You have a very good control at what you are looking at, and what you have selected.
    - Takes a long time to reselect your hero, lots of extra clicks.
    - it is much clearer to what the enemy has, because most information is in one place.

2) The league of legends way: Your hero is permanently selected, and you can have a focus target which you can watch
    Considerations
    - You can control your hero while you can observ your enemy
    - Allows you to permanently select a hero so you will know all the time about his current mana, items
    - Adds a new window to the screen: possible clutter, more obstrcuted space.

3) The current way: You can have only one main unit selected and it's attributes will end-up on your main hud.
    Considerations
    - Quite unintuitive, when selecting an enemy and moving
    - Minimizes extra screen space, all values are in the same place as your hero.
    - Can lead to confusion when you are in a very fast paced game.

Other suggestions from me:

a) Timed Focus: Like number 2) but with a timer. Basically when you select an enemy unit, it is put in a focus window for a number of seconds then it disapears.
    Best of both worlds: you don't lose your hero selection, but you won't be able to abuse it either in order to keep a tag on the enemy's attributes.

b) Separate Selections and commands: Basically like number 3) but issuing a move command does not reselect your hero. Your last selection before selecting an enemy is stored in a variable, all commands you issue go to that selection, but you still keep the enemy on screen. You must reselect your hero (using F1 or whatever key it's bound to) in order to cast spells or attack.

c) Like b) but with a max timer of selection of the enemy.

Waiting for more feedback.
    Last edited by okrane; 02-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.

You're forgetting the HoN way, which is basically the lol way, but you can select and move units other than your hero.

Anyway, Dota 2 definitely needs the hon/lol way. It needs a "focus window" where you can see the stats, items, etc and be able to keep looking at it even if you want to do something. Not having that utility is severely hurting the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CSDragon View Post
    You're forgetting the HoN way, which is basically the lol way, but you can select and move units other than your hero.

Anyway, Dota 2 definitely needs the hon/lol way. It needs a "focus window" where you can see the stats, items, etc and be able to keep looking at it even if you want to do something. Not having that utility is severely hurting the game.
    Well, if you are suggesting that, you are implicitly suggesting mana-bars which has been discussed to kingdom come and I really don't want to have that discussion again...
    I wish that there is a more intuitive and controlable way to select and check an enemy hero that does not intrude with moving your hero.
    Frankly I would even take Warcraft III way over the current way, because it is much less likely to mess up.

Banned
    Why would you lol/hon fags wanna change so much in dota? Its good as it is. Don't fix it if it aint broken.

Basic Member
    theres 2 unused boxes on the left and right of you attributes, skills, etc. just use one of those boxes to fill this info like HoN/LoL

Eh, I hate the always hero selected thing, that's such crap. That's nearly how Dota 2 feels to me, I really miss the Warcraft 3 way.

In the warcraft 3 model, it's NOT EVEN HARD TO RESELECT YOUR HERO, what the hell?! you either control group your hero to 1, or press F1, seriously, honestly, how hard can it be?! It's like a natural instinct when you feel like you're playing an RTS game, which the mod is based off of. Since you could consider this an ARTS, or (moba).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen3sis View Post
    Why would you lol/hon fags wanna change so much in dota? Its good as it is. Don't fix it if it aint broken.
    Okay, I'll bite. Listen up you sad excuse of a wasted space: right now Dota 2 has changed the way the game works. So you can get your fucked up retarded shit hole that you call a head out of your ass and see that I was suggesting that they revert it back to what it was in Wc3 before anything else. Secondly, all I've seen from your sorry pathetic posts is a need to rabble without even a glimpse of constructive suggestions, you constantly troll the living heck out of this forum, like your picture announces it.
    So please to everyone a favor and go set yourself on fire, because the world will be better off without carrying your dead weight around.

Someone please ban this asshole.

Basic Member
    look okrane calm down .... and also you don't waste any extra clicks reselecting ur hero .... watch, do this, (i know LoL doesn't do this, it's too simple for that)

you can set control groups for sets of units or even just 1 unit. click on ur hero .... then press ctrl+1 .... now whenever u press 1 u will get your hero reselected (so no extra clicks .... just 1 button press)

now the cool thing about this is you can do multiple units as well and you can bind more than 1 control group. you can use up all the numbers in the top if u want.

THIS right here is one of the reasons why dota is better than most. it's an actual RTS game platform which lets you have more control in teh game .... grant it some ppl dont want more control .... but for more professional gaming more control = more fun.

comparing LoL with Dota is like .... comparing Mac's with PC's .... sure Mac's can look really nice and be very user friendly .... but PC's blow em out of the water with customization and control we have to the actual system itself .... you can go into every nook and cranny in PC's .... but u can't get past the rainbow circle on a Mac.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vector View Post
    look okrane calm down .... and also you don't waste any extra clicks reselecting ur hero .... watch, do this, (i know LoL doesn't do this, it's too simple for that)

you can set control groups for sets of units or even just 1 unit. click on ur hero .... then press ctrl+1 .... now whenever u press 1 u will get your hero reselected (so no extra clicks .... just 1 button press)

now the cool thing about this is you can do multiple units as well and you can bind more than 1 control group. you can use up all the numbers in the top if u want.

THIS right here is one of the reasons why dota is better than most. it's an actual RTS game platform which lets you have more control in teh game .... grant it some ppl dont want more control .... but for more professional gaming more control = more fun.

comparing LoL with Dota is like .... comparing Mac's with PC's .... sure Mac's can look really nice and be very user friendly .... but PC's blow em out of the water with customization and control we have to the actual system itself .... you can go into every nook and cranny in PC's .... but u can't get past the rainbow circle on a Mac.
    You're not getting it. I am all for that thing you're saying. The problem I am having in the following: I click on enemy hero, so the enemy hero is selected, I want to watch his items and / or manabar but "oh shit" want to move my hero because something is up, what happens is, I right clicking too fast and the right click automatically reselects my hero and makes it move. I don't want this, because it is bad for control. I want to be able to control what I am selecting.
    What I am asking is: either give me the option of locking my selection, so I can do what you are suggesting (press 1 and come back to my hero) or make another system to watch enemy heroes if the devs feel like we should keep a special selection to our own hero.
    That is all. Again, I am saying that I prefered the way WC3 did it, to this current mode and listed all other ways people have done it in the past.

Basic Member
    I think going back to the old DOTA format would be bad (although including it as an option wouldn't). The reason being afaik you can treat it the same as the old DOTA way. Instead of using a hotkey, you get to issue command directly.

For instance:
    In DOTA1 you select unit to see mana. You cannot do anything until you reselect your unit The enemy is the focus the entire time.
    In DOTA2 you select unit to see mana. You cannot do anything until you reselect your unit (in this case via the rlick). The enemy is the focus the entire time.

I'm actually for having a target-focus similar to LoL. The reasons being that currently it is a. unintuitive and b. adds nothing to the game. I am able to check enemies for mana easily, and I promise... I am terrible. It is zero reward for being so unintuitive.