Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Mana Leak doesn't work against Storms Ball Lightning

Basic Member

[Confirmed] Mana Leak doesn't work against Storms Ball Lightning

Today I wanted to counterpick a Storm with a Kotl, which I used to do sometimes back in DotA, I noticed that he wasn't losing enough mana while ball lightning after I mana leaked him.

Well, I tested it in DotA and Dota 2 and made a Video:

Level 4 Mana Leak vs a level 25 Storm, 10 points in Stats.

You can see that Level 1 and 2 Ball Lightning in DotA reaches about 1/5 or 1/6 of the distance you can travel in Dota 2, which is about that what you would expect when Mana Leak works on Ball Lightning.
    Yet Ball Lightning Level 3 in DotA seems to be a bit bugged, Storm travels at 2500 units per second, meaning 250 units per 0.1s, which should be under the Mana Leak threshold of 300 units per 0.1s, but I guess there are issues with calculating the exact travel speed of Ball Lightning, therefore the full effect of Mana Leak can't unfold.
    • If the target travels over 300 distance in less than 0.1 second (by using blink skills, for example), Mana Leak will not decrease its mana for that distance.
    In Dota 2, Mana Leak doesn't have any effect on Ball Lightning at all.
    Last edited by Mercer; 03-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.

I guess your report is valid. Thank you for the explanation.

Well Storm is invulnerable during ball lightning, so I don't see the problem, perhaps intended.

Well he is invulnerable while using this spell, so there is no logic to lose mana then... maybe it's intended wait answer from mods.

Didn't played wc3 dota long long time ago.

Therefore OP added this helpfull video. Storm does not take damage during ball lightning, but he may loses mana because of mana drain.

This is a bug, since it is not en par with wc3 Dota. Kotl is a powerfull hero, but that's not the point.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.

from my understanding "invulnerability" only freezes the hp pool.
    spells that can modify your mana should still work (e.g. emp). not sure about spells such as manaburn though.
    but this is just my guts, i didnt actually test those spells in wc3 in the latest version.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Volunteer Moderator
    ^It totally depends on how a spell is coded... And if a spell is already on you it can sometimes take effect (but the only thing I can think of that is targettable on invulnerable units is purge - in WC3 DotA not dota 2 - but there are also other things such as mek/arcane boots etc. that should work), but all HP removal should go through invulnerability (and can be lethal in Dota 2, which is a bit stupid in my opinion...)
    Last edited by Wyn-Ryder; 03-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Basic Member
    Good job OP, nice video.

It was obviously a bug in Dota1.

The reason is fairly simple, can you mana drain an invulnerable unit? No. This is a part of ball lighthning spell and no changes is needed.

This is not a bug in Dota2, please remove the 'confirmed' statement

Volunteer Moderator
    Invulnerable doesn't mean they can't be affected by anything... I wonder if this has only come about since last patch though (with the magic immune/mana leak change) guess we won't know!