Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ice Vortex and Natural Order should be rewritten or changed for Dota 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wyn-Ryder View Post
    I know it's slightly off. But at the end of the day icefrog deemed it close enough. And dota2wiki... Really? Check advanced mechanics on the playdota forums for this information, not the dota 2 wiki...

Also as Wiener said, balance change, playdota.com .
    You didn't know the magic damage formula, so I was suggesting something. I'm also not suggesting a balance change is the only option. I said that simply rewriting the tooltip is just as good.

Basic Member
    just wondering why did icefrog use "reduce magical resistance" instead of "amplify magical damage". i mean he apparently know the difference. i would love to see ice vortex and natural become true resistance reduction, but again, playdota.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ivory winter View Post
    No, only Ice Vortex and Natural Order claim to reduce magic resist by a flat amount. It's not necessary to get rid of the multiplicative stacking system in place right now. The point is that Ice Vortex is amplifying and not even amplifying enough to emulate what it says.
    And?
    At most these are tooltip word choice, not actual gameplay bugs. Plus magic resistance "reduction" doesn't exist in any form at all. How would it? Having them "take" 25% more damage due to lower resistance works exactly the same as having them debuffed to take 25% more damage. Are you expecting this to completely negate the base hero resistance? Since that's never going to happen

Basic Member
    At least for Natural Order, the playdota skill description specifically mentions, "The magic resistance reduction is actually a 6% / 14% / 20% / 26% amplification of magical damage."

http://www.playdota.com/heroes/tauren-chieftain

Ice Vortex, however, seems like it is still up for debate.

Volunteer Moderator
    It's just wording. It should say 25% magic damage amplification instead. Easy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    And?
    At most these are tooltip word choice, not actual gameplay bugs. Plus magic resistance "reduction" doesn't exist in any form at all. How would it? Having them "take" 25% more damage due to lower resistance works exactly the same as having them debuffed to take 25% more damage. Are you expecting this to completely negate the base hero resistance? Since that's never going to happen
    It's starting to seem like you didn't look at my post at all.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ivory winter View Post
    You didn't know the magic damage formula, so I was suggesting something. I'm also not suggesting a balance change is the only option. I said that simply rewriting the tooltip is just as good.
    Wait, really? I don't know the magic damage formula?...... I have made my points and cbf arguing anymore. Even the tooltip here is consistent with WC3 DotA, so it is 100% a playdota issue, so go there and dota 2 will get the flow on effects.

Magic damage formula:

Spell Damage * (1 - Resistance 1 in decimal)*(1 - Resistance 2 in decimal)... *(1 + Amplification 1 in decimal)*(1 + Amplification 2 in decimal)... - Spell Blocks

Resistances include Hero resistance, Spell Shield, Gravekeeper's Cloak, Cloak, Hood of Defiance, Revenant Immunity, etc.
    Amplifications include Ethereal, Veil of Discord, Ice Vortex, etc. (Anything that works on the basis of magic damage)
    Spell Blocks include Pipe's spell barrier, Xin's spell barrier (unreleased in DotA 2)

See this thread for more info about what is amped/resisted:
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/showt...ul+catcher#Top

Volunteer Moderator
    ^Slight correction, it should be: (Spell Damage - Spell Blocks) * (1 - Resistance 1 in decimal)*(1 - Resistance 2 in decimal)... *(1 + Amplification 1 in decimal)*(1 + Amplification 2 in decimal)...

because pipe's reduction is calculated pre-mitigation (i.e. lvl 4 centaur double edge will remove pipe 100% on any unit)