Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lore and lists!

Lore and lists!

Intro:
    One of the things that impresses me the most so far about Dota 2 is the lore. I personally find it enthralling, immersive and sometimes it's quite funny as well. I decided to sit down for a moment and make several lists out of the already gathered lore and try to piece together what can be pieced together.
    While there are currently 71 heroes in the game, 72 heroes have lore in the game files (Phantom Assassin already has a bio). On top of that, all abilities and items also have little bits of lore, while voice files also give us more insight into some of the heroes and the events that have transpired in the Dota 2 world. However, I am afraid analyzing all of that might be too much for me alone, so if you happen to have come across something that I missed here, just drop a message and I will see if I can add it to the OP. Same goes for incorrect information I have given here. So, without further ado: lore and lists!

History:
    Before the world was even created, there was an unending war between two entities, much to the chagrin of the vast Primordials; and thus they were locked up together inside a prison: the Mad Moon. As the world of Dota 2 captured the Mad Moon inside it's gravitational fields, all seemed fine, but underneath the crust, the two inhabitants were at work on freeing themselves. After what can only be thought of as a long time, they managed to free themselves and fell together with some of the remains of their prison to the planet. (Visuals here).
    What fell to the surface would influence the civilizations that settled around these fragments, granting them kinetic energy, mana, protection, even resurrection. However, the entities could not let go off their pasts and soon, they were at war again, this time using not only the civilizations, but even calling forth heroes to fight their little quarrel.
    This piece has been heavily summarized from the work in progress lore found here. Follow the link to view the extensive piece of lore in all of its glory and of course comment on it!

Heroes that possibly predate this event according to their lore:
    • Puck - Said to have lived for countless millennia.
    • Nature's Prophet - Said to have been granted life after goddess Verodicia was done with filling in the green places.
    • Nightstalker - Said to have been around during the dawn of the First Day.
    • Faceless Void - Said to come from a realm outside of time.
    • Ancient Apparition - Said to predate the universe itself.
    • Invoker - Said to have been around for as long as magic itself.

Locations:
    The Dota 2 world is, much alike our own planet, a varied world, possessing oceans, mountains, jungles, cities, villages and more. Among those places are:
    • The Kingdom of Slom - Birthplace of Karroch, the Beastmaster.
    • The peaks of Nishai - 'Birthplace' of Raigor Stonehoof, the Earthshaker.
    • The cliffs of Emauracus, rumoured to hold an ancient being of great power - Place of enlightenment for Purist Thunderwrath, the Omniknight.
    • The Shadeshore Ruins - Birthplace of Sven, the Rogue Knight.
    • The Vigil Keep, home of the Vigil Knights
    • The monasteries of Turstarkuri, ravaged by the Legion of the Dead God - Temporary home for Magina, the Anti-Mage.
    • The Isle of Masks, recently disappeared beneath the waves - Birthplace of Yurnero, the Juggernaut.
    • The Nightsilver Woods - Home of Mirana, the Princess of the Moon.
    • The mountainous valleys of Knollen - Birthplace of Kardel Sharpeye, the Sniper.
    • The Hazhadal Barrens - Birthplace of Chen, the Holy Knight.
    • The cold northern realm of Icewrack, containing the Blueheart Glacier - Home of Rylai, the Crystal Maiden.
    • The blazing Desert of Misrule - Home of Lina, the Slayer.
    • The Bleeding Hills - Birthplace of Rhasta, the Shadow Shaman.
    • The Wailing Mountains
    • The Violet Plateau, shrouded in a permanent darkness after an experiment gone horribly wrong - Previous workplace of Boush, the Tinker.
    • The Fields of the Endless Carnage, where nothing may decay or decompose - Home of Pudge, the Butcher.
    • Quoidge, far to the north of the Fields of the Endless Carnage
    • The Sands of the Scintillant Waste - 'Birthplace' of Crixalis, the Sand King.
    • The Empire of Bones, with its Ivory Forest and Throne of Bones - Home of Ostarion, the Skeleton King.
    • The mist-shrouded peaks of Xhacatocatl - Place of origin of Strygwyr, the Bloodseeker.
    • The smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos - Home of Black Arachnia, the Broodmother.
    • The Magnetic Ziggurat, now without its master
    • The Acid Jungles of Jidi Isle, with its nearby Bay of Fradj - 'Birthplace' of Lesale Deathbringer, the Venomancer.
    • The Yama Raskav Jungle - Birthplace of Jin'zakk, the Batrider.
    • The Cathedral of Rumusque - Previous workplace of Rotund'jere, the Necrolyte.
    • Elze, containing the Tower of Invocations - 'Birthplace' of Akasha, the Queen of Pain.
    • The Ultimyr Academy, containing the Arcane Archives - Workplace of Demnok Lannik, the Warlock.
    • The highlands of Arktura - Previous home of Zharvakko, the Witch Doctor.
    • The dungeons of Devarque, the prison complex that previously held N'aix, the Lifestealer.
    • The rebel camps at Highseat, infiltrated by Gondar, the Bounty Hunter to capture the White Cape.
    • The Hoven, a thousand-league wood at t the base of the Bleeding Hills, home of Clinkz, the Bone Fletcher.
    • Uncertain: Aeol Drias - Studyplace of Nortrom, the Silencer.*

*Nortrom studied under the Order of Aeol Drias. Aeol Drias might refer to a location in the Dota 2 world, but it might also refer to an object or a person. Silencer's lore is rather unspecific about this as it says he studied in a hidden cantonment within the hills overlooking the Hazhadal barrens, without naming said cantonment. Therefor, this has been noted as uncertain.

These are not the only locations in this vast world, as there are plenty of other dimensions and worlds to go around:
    • The Nothl Realm, the last journey for some to take up their place among the gods (Almost the case for Huskar, the Sacred Warrior), while it grant others their powers (the case for Dazzle, the Shadow Priest).
    • Claszureme, a realm outside of time, yet adjacent to the world of Dota 2 - Place of origin of Darkterror, the Faceless Void.
    • The Underscape, containing the Narrow Maze, a realm similar to Purgatory - Place of origin of Razor, the Lightning Revenant.
    • The Abysm, a realm no one has ever peered into - Inhabited by Nevermore, the Shadow Fiend.
    • The fabric of creation, carefully cared for by the Weavers - Place of origin of Skitskurr, the Weaver.
    • The sealed and unchanging subterranean Nether Reaches - Birthplace of Viper, the Netherdrake and Pugna, the Oblivion.
    • The 'Land Behind the Wall' as it is named by Ish'kafel, the Dark Seer, the realm where he originates from
    • The Outer Hells - Origin of Warlock's Golem.
    • The Outworld - Origin of Harbinger, the Outworld Destroyer.
    • Theory: Our Planet Earth - Origin of Zeus, the Lord of Olympus.

Species:
    This list contains most of the races that are encountered in the Dota 2 world but would not be encountered in our own world - in other words, wolves, tigers, birds, etc, are left out of the list. The only exception would be the Platypus, because it's such an awesome animal, but unfortunately, none have been sighted as of yet.
    • Ogres*
    • Kobold*
    • Trolls*
    • Gnolls*
    • The Undead*
    • Harpies*
    • Centaur*
    • Satyr*
    • Golems*
    • Furbolg*
    • Wildkin*
    • Jungle Stalkers*
    • Lizards*
    • Dragonspawn*
    • The Eldwurm, a race of dragons
    • The Drow, a short, trollish and rather repusive people
    • Steepstalkers, strange, cliff dwelling creatures, living in the mountainous area of Knollen
    • The Skywrath Scions
    • Locuthi, a stunted species of burrowing dragons that melt sand into tubes of glass to collect the water from rare rains
    • Pyrexae dragons, with abilities over ice and fire
    • Faerie dragons
    • Hill Trowles
    • Slithereen
    • Mer
    • Netherdrakes
    • The Weavers
    • Morde-bats, of which one has been tamed by Jin'zakk the Batrider
    • Noninfernals
    • Lesser Spectral Consorts
    • The Pallid Meranth (Uncertain)

* Indicates species that are found in the jungles of the battlefield.

As it turns out, I hit the character limit and I had no reserved posts, so the rest of this post can be found here, right behind the answer in that post.
    Last edited by Hefaistus; 03-17-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Add Spectre to the list of heroes in the "history section".
    As stated in her lore, she comes from a different universe and is now unable to understand what's going on around her.

Reply to eNTe_eXe
    I actually left her out of the list because there is no mention of time or age in her lore. There are several other heroes that I also left out while there is a possibility that they predate the event, as their lore does not actually mention time - or have a timeframe that, in my opinion, is probably too small for this event - although, it does have its basis in the comic. There are, give or take, 25 people on the statue of the Shopkeeper. "Goatboy" said that there is a change roughly every 10 years and that he stood once at the bottom as well, meaning that at least 500 years have passed since the Shattering of the Mad Moon.
    Other heroes that could have potentially predated the event but that I left out because I thought there were too few signs to this are Tiny, Morphling, Storm Spirit, Zeus, Pudge, Skeleton King, Doom Bringer, Shadow Fiend, Razor, Broodmother, Weaver, Lich, Enigma and Leshrac.

Back to lore and lists!

Politics and religion:
    There is not a whole lot known about the many factions of the Dota 2 world concerning politics. The few cases we do know suggest that monarchy is the most common form of government (e.g. the Kingdoms of Slom and Elze), although some appear to be led by elders (Sniper's clan).
    More prevalent appears to be religious leaders, with at least nine heroes having a religious background. Particularly Omniknight and Chen belief strongly in their religion to the point where it fuels their powers. This stands in stark contrast with the technologically inclined heroes, particularly Tinker, whom highly prefer rational methodologies.

List of known leaders/ruling families and their current status:
    • The Mad King of Slom - Mauled to death when his menagerie of animals was set loose by Beastmaster.
    • The royal family of the Solar Throne, including the previously next in line princess Mirana - Presumed alive.
    • The Tahlin family - Exterminated with just one surviving member (Riki - Allied with the Radiant).
    • Ghastly Eyrie - The royal family of the Skywrath, presumed alive. One member fell due to a sister's treachery (Vengeful Spirit)
    • The village elders of Knollen - Presumed alive; exiled Sniper.
    • Ostarian the Skeleton King - Unliving, allied with the Dire.
    • The Ecclesiast-King of Elze Deceased after thrown of the Tower of Invocations; responsible for summoning Queen of Pain.
    • Queen of Pain - The unofficial queen of Elze, allied with the Dire.
    • Tyrant King Goff - Assassinated by Gondar, the Bounty Hunter.
    • King-mage Sutherex - Presumed alive; Clinkz was/is a follower of him.

List of known deities:
    • Maelraun/Maelrawn the Tentacular, revered by Tidehunter
    • The Omniscience, the All Knowing Once, revered by Omniknight - Actual godhood is questionable.
    • Selemene, Goddess of the Moon, revered by Mirana
    • Goddess Avilliva Scree'auk, made a deal with Vengeful Spirit
    • Verodicia, Goddess of the Woods, 'mother' of Nature's Prophet - Deceased.
    • God-king Damathryx, leader of Dark Seer
    • Zeus
    • The Gods of the Nothl Realm
    • Goddess Nyctasha - Implied to have been killed by Atropos, the Bane Elemental.
    • The Dead God(s), whose legions destroyed Turstarkuri, home of Magina, the Anti-Mage.
    • Uncertain: The Flayed Twins, with their hound Bloodseeker.
    • Uncertain: The Loom, creators of fabric of reality, carefully cared for by the Weavers.
    • Uncertain: The Nameless Ones, referenced by Slardar.
    • Uncertain: The Greek pantheon - Heavily referenced by Zeus, but it is uncertain what their relation is to the Dota 2 world.

Connected heroes:
    The amount of connected heroes is slowly starting to expand, with recent heroes starting to have more and more connections with previously connected heroes. In this list, I summarize the groups of heroes that have some kind of connection with each other, either through race, family, region or rivalry.
    • Admiral Kunkka and Tidehunter are each others nemesis.
    • Lina the Slayer and Rylai the Crystal Maiden are sisters.
    • Anti-Mage Magina and Soul Keeper Terror Blade are brothers.
    • Pugna and Viper both hail from the Nether Reaches. Pugna also claims in his voicelines that Viper was at one point his pet.
    • Tinker, Clockwerk and Sniper are all three part of the same race.
    • Dazzle is the one that more or less granted Huskar his powers.
    • The order of Aeol Drias that Silencer hails from is the sworn enemy of the Knights of the Fold, Chen's order.
    • Clinkz hails from the Hoven, which lies at the base of the Bleeding Hills, birthplace of Shadow Shaman.
    • Doom Bringer, Shadow Fiend and Shadow Demon all hail from the same place, with Doom Bringer and Shadow Fiend teaming up at one point to bring down Shadow Demon.

Last notes:
    I intend on keeping this thread up to date with new lore as it gets released, as well as other tidbits that I might have missed that get pointed out to me. However, I am quite busy in real life, so I can't make any actual guarantees. Have fun and good luck in your future ventures into the Dota 2 lore!
    Last edited by Hefaistus; 03-17-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Awesome, can you maybe add the heroes to the locations? Like Juggernaut to the ilse of masks?

Done.
    As it turned out, though, I already hit the character limit of the post, hence why it's now spread over multiple posts. Probably should've prepared for it better. My apologies (Here's hoping I won't need this one as well, or I'm going to have to find an alternative).

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    If you've got an extra character left, it is Nothl Realm, not Noth Realm.

Fake Edit: The bio for Lifestealer on the Dota 2 Wiki is taken out of the files in the beta.

Basic Member
    awsome!
    Leshrac told to Puck "my old freand" i gues he have lived for countless millennia too.

Viper is not millions of years old, the species he is, is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancey View Post
    If you've got an extra character left, it is Nothl Realm, not Noth Realm.
    Fixed, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by independent View Post
    Leshrac told to Puck "my old freand" i gues he have lived for countless millennia too.
    Where does he say that? I just went through all of Leshrac's voice files and while he does talk to Puck once, he doesn't actually call him his old friend. The voiceline concerning Puck is "Puck, we are both strangers in this strange land."[1]

Quote Originally Posted by AychAychAych View Post
    Viper is not millions of years old, the species he is, is.
    Woops, my mistake. Fixed it.

Lore moderator.

Great thread! Thanks for the detailed info and keep it up!
    I have a suggestion:
    List of known leaders/ruling families and their current status:

List of known deities:
    Could you please write in which hero's lore is mentioned each one of them?

Suggestion to moderators: I think this thread should be made sticky (if OP is going to update it regularly). It's nice to have all the important info from the lore summarized in one place.
    Last edited by denik; 11-28-2011 at 07:34 AM.