Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The death sound

Really annoying. May times dota is very frustrating and this sound makes me agressive. In the moment i die i cant here anyone in teamspeak. Let me set it off pls in options.
    believe in Valve!

Basic Member
    please let me disable this noise completely. it is loud and aggressive and cramps my style when im jammin on a track

Basic Member
    I agree that this sound has got out of hand and is too loud and probably unnecessary. These things keep getting put in, but the overwhelming reaction is 'sorry, this sucks'. I played today with a friend who hasn't played since April and his first complaint was 'wow, what was that piece of music that just blasted out?? Okay... an invis weaver killed me. Why do I need to hear music?'

You can have music volume on 0 and it still plays, which is not how it should be.

Try typing this in console:

snd_setmixer stingers vol 0.0

I assume that the death sound is a sting (unfortunately the match ready thing might also be a sting.. amongst other sounds). The default volume is 0.5 if you want to change it back.

You can search in pak01_000.vpk with a program like Notepad++ for "Default_Mix" and you'll see a bunch of volumes for things, like the ping noise. Don't modify this file because that could in theory count as modifying your game files (it will work but better just to use the console).

Alternatively, if muting stingers does not affect it, then maybe it's grouped under 'music' or 'deaths'. Same drill:

snd_setmixer music vol 0.0 (default is 0.3).
    snd_setmixer deaths vol 0.0 (default is 0.6).

Someone report back if either of these work and/or are the correct change. I can't test right now. More than likely though it's going to be hard to individually mute that music.

The other way is to replace the specific music stings with silent audio - but that involves directly modifying the files, so let's hold off on that for now.
    Last edited by cinephile; 06-22-2013 at 04:12 PM.

When i am on 10+ Killstreak and die then u can play this sound for everyone but my usual death are far away from needing such an op epic sound.
    believe in Valve!

Basic Member
    Yep stingers works, thanks. It also affect the respawn sound, but not the game found sound. If anyone know how to lower that one i would be happy though...

Basic Member
    I rather hear them saying their deathlines instead of the music really.

Basic Member
    Yo lemme turn the death sound off. I'd like to still be able to hear people on mumble when I die instead of having my eardrums blown out

Basic Member
    Remove it. It disturbs the whole game.

Basic Member
    I agree that this sound is really unnecessary and just annoying and it makes me more angry than usual. I really liked to hear the heroes comment on each other on death too.

Please remove via options or something