Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Intended] No experience for kills while dead

Volunteer Moderator

[Intended] No experience for kills while dead

Summary:

All kills performed outside of a 1200 AoE should give you experience, be it from a tower killing it (and giving you credit for the kill), a summon, DoT or slow projectile

Repro:

1) DO NOT USE THE WC3 DotA TEST MAP! IT DOES THIS INCORRECTLY!
    2) Watch the video (this repro won't work for dota 2 due to a seperate bug to do with summons & kills --> http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=52680 [moderate 122] )

For dota 2 you have several options, I would probably go for a longrange clockwerk rocket with -allvision on and a soul ring (+ WTF) on an enemy hero.

This screenshot should suffice (clock gets the kill and is still lvl 1 with 0/0 xp)

So from this we can get our:

Result:

No experience is ever given while dead unless there's a bloodstone up

Expected result:

Experience is given for any kills you are creditted for, if the kill is performed outside a 1200 AoE of you, even whilst dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric37073 View Post
    you only gain exp when ur hero body is out of kill exp range(wierd);
    you only get base exp, no so called "extra hero exp"
    imo this is probably a problem introduced by the change that u gain exp for kills out of exp range(sun strike for example)
    (kept that quote just for blash, but the summary and expected results should now be correct)
    Last edited by Wyn-Ryder; 03-30-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added quote

Basic Member
    2 points:1 u only gain exp when ur hero body is out of kill exp range(wierd);2 only base exp, no so called "extra hero exp"
    imo this is probably a problem introduced by the change that u gain exp for kills out of exp range(sun strike for example)
    Last edited by Eric37073; 03-30-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    added to sticky.
    i think it's a bit too fast. there is still something unclear.

Basic Member
    it is inconsistent and needs to be cleaned up. it also has huge impact on the game, that's why i'd rather add/tag it sooner than later so the devs can see for themselves which mechanic they prefer.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    it is inconsistent and needs to be cleaned up. it also has huge impact on the game, that's why i'd rather add/tag it sooner than later so the devs can see for themselves which mechanic they prefer.
    but summary in OP is incomplete/incorrect. it's kinda misleading

edit: it seems my guess is correct. this is a change from 6.72: Heroes now get XP if they get a kill outside of the standard XP range. before that hero doesnt get any XP for kills after death. it's not intended by icefrog i think.
    Last edited by Eric37073; 03-30-2013 at 10:46 AM.

I guess it is a bug but isn't this a bit unfair. If two people who are about to level up fight, one kills the other and levels up getting some gold but then dies a second later. The one who died first gets more experience from the kill since he killed a hero that was a level higher!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youlackhatred View Post
    I guess it is a bug but isn't this a bit unfair. If two people who are about to level up fight, one kills the other and levels up getting some gold but then dies a second later. The one who died first gets more experience from the kill since he killed a hero that was a level higher!
    Well right now the one that gets killed first gets no exp whatsoever, which isn't fair as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rene View Post
    Well right now the one that gets killed first gets no exp whatsoever, which isn't fair as well.
    it's fair. it's how the game is designed.
    Last edited by Eric37073; 03-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.

^ It is strange that you can be so certain. May I ask you why?