Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New (and old) importer tool bugs

New (and old) importer tool bugs

The new test patch added a bunch of bugs to the importer tool. Mainly it breaks the portrait, loadout and day/night view for some. See here

Second of all, view existing model function is still useless, because it just shows your model as-is, while it should be loaded in the context of the hero it was created for, or at least with the ability to position/edit camera view.
    This feature could be combined with some kind of snapshot feature that'll allow contributors to create promo images more easily.

New testmap feature is broken in many ways right now, while the team selection feature is fixed, there's still some stuff like cheats, disabling of the auto-defeat, model doubling and naked loadout previews, removing of the hero selection that needs to be added. Not to mention that previewing your items on the testmap will probably break the importer tool preview or will cause unintentional bugs.
    See this and this
    First pic shows doubling of the models in the portrait window (this bug appears in the main game sometimes with the latest cosmetics, but clears after one respawn) and naked DK in the loadout view. Second pic show the need in the auto-leveling function/cheats on the start, because i don't want to farm for 15 minutes to get my ultimate and aghanims.

I realise that because of the way Dota2 loads the stuff on the map it's probably too hard to rebuild stuff on the fly, but adding more dev tools to the testmap will surely be better. Maybe there's a way to add custom workshop map with smaller size and bunch of basic assets that'll allow you do the same stuff but with faster loading times.

Basic Member
    after the new update, the scroll list for animations dosnt show up untill you go to portrait and go back to dota view, there is no check button to test the lods in the importer.

can we get a fix on this ?

Main client now got the same issues. Big ERROR message on the loadout preview(screen), missing day/night view (screen), portrait view crashing Dota.
    The testmap now has cheats and no bots, but you still can select different hero, also he's naked in the loadout view ingame(screen).
    If you return to the importer after the testmap it shows day/night view with ERROR in it(screen).

EDIT:
    It seems that everything's working now.
    Last edited by DSpirit; 04-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.

I am getting an ERROR mesh loading up any time I try to import this one specific thing to Lina's Head slot. After importing the error mesh, clicking the portrait view will crash dota. The new feature to load it up in game works and displays the model fine, however it shows two models (one rigged and one static) in portrait view when all I imported was an LOD1.

Game cache verified 100%

This mesh worked perfect right before the update but now I can't import it and I can't add previously successfully compiled versions to view alongside other properly imported meshes.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ed_compile.zip
    Last edited by Frumpl; 04-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Basic Member
    When importing for Clinkz, the ERROR mesh shows up for Head, Glove, and Shoulder slots, whenever this is the case, the portrait preview crashes the game.

The local server works but his portrait is very bugged, with extra models that are frozen.

Valve Developer
    Frumpl, thanks for the report. We've got a fix for this, but it won't be out until Monday. Until then, if you want to work over the weekend you can hack around it on your client by extracting the \dota\scripts\itemtest_manifest.txt file from the VPK files (see the first couple of steps at http://www.cyborgmatt.com/dota-2-model-viewer-guide/ for help on how to do that).

Then, open the text file up in your favorite text editor, and find this block of text:
    "_normal"
    {
    }

Add the following section into it, so that it all looks like this:
    "_normal"
    {
    "add_to_vtex_config"
    {
    "numchannels" "3"
    }
    }

Then run Dota with -override_vpk in your command line, and re-do your import. Once Monday's update ships you'll be able to remove the extracted itemtest_manifest.txt file.

Basic Member
    This quick txt-edit fix doesn't seem to work for me, or rather it doesn't seem to work when trying to preview new Rubick items. Certain items like the normal staff look super buggy, the head doesn't disappear when uploading a new mask, and the textures on the base body are all screwed up. Is there something else I can try to be able to work over the weekend or will I have to wait until Monday to do test and upload?

Main client now got the same issues. Big ERROR message on the loadout preview(screen), missing day/night view (screen), portrait view crashing Dota.
    The testmap now has cheats and no bots, but you still can select different hero, also he's naked in the loadout view ingame(screen).
    If you return to the importer after the testmap it shows day/night view with ERROR in it(screen).
    Dell alpha channel in normal map.

Basic Member
    Found some additional unusual behavior: When importing a ward on the main client, testing it in a local game doesn't work (the standard ward is not being replaced) but on the test client it works just fine in a locally hosted game.

Valve Developer
    Spudnik, it's probably because you have a custom ward equipped. Unequip that, and the base ward model will be replaced by the one you're importing.