Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion]Day/Night cycle shadows possible?

[Suggestion]Day/Night cycle dynamic shadows possible?

I was looking at some screenshots of the Halloween map, and I could not help but notice the different position of the shadows, and the impact they have on the overall scenery.

Would it be possible to implement dynamic shadows for characters and structures, in the game? I am pretty sure that the shadows are real time, created from a static "master" shadow casting light source, somewhere above the map. So would it be possible to have the light source move throughout the duration of the day/night cycle, thus casting shadows accordingly?

Is such a thing possible within the Source engine? It would be a neat visual effect, without impacting gameplay whatsoever.

Two screenshots follow for comparison

(of course something like that would be a low priority, I primarily want to know if the suggestion is feasible)
    Last edited by CloisterBlack; 09-04-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added embedded image links

no more effects please... many user will lag the pc

Quote Originally Posted by JeraldPunx11 View Post
    I don't know how resource intensive such a feature would be. (In Skyrim it has zero effect, and I am playing on a laptop). It could be toggle-able , and only if shadows are enabled. If one's pc cannot handle the shadows to begin with, he should not be concerned by this.

Banned
    Of course such thing would be optional, if you don't like it, turn it off..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CloisterBlack View Post
    (In Skyrim it has zero effect, and I am playing on a laptop)
    It does have an effect in Skyrim, a minor one.

Maybe these users should buy a new PC,because we are in 2013,with a game which is almost 2d,and there is a discussion about if this will make the game lag.

If your PC can't run this game,it doesn't run anything.Also,little thing called settings.You go to options,find "dynamic shadows",disable it

Basic Member
    Those shadows were definitely a good adiction to the game.
    It would be nice if it hapenned to show right before sunset.

I am sure that shadows being dynamic in such a manner would definitely have not cause a single bit of extra load on the graphics card. Not even a bit. If your graphics card is able to render shadows in a single direction, then it won't have anything extra to deal with as the shadow position gets updated every 5~15~30 seconds.

But there are two questions in my mind:
    - shall the dawn/dusk shadows really be casted from zero and 180 degrees, or shall they rather be casted from between like 30 degrees to 150, so that they won't ever look infinite?
    - ok, I have only one left, I've resolved my second question on my own

Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    I am sure that shadows being dynamic in such a manner would definitely have not cause a single bit of extra load on the graphics card. Not even a bit. If your graphics card is able to render shadows in a single direction, then it won't have anything extra to deal with as the shadow position gets updated every 5~15~30 seconds.
    yeah, that's what I think too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    But there are two questions in my mind:
    - shall the dawn/dusk shadows really be casted from zero and 180 degrees, or shall they rather be casted from between like 30 degrees to 150, so that they won't ever look infinite?
    Well, something like 30 degrees for sunrise and 150 degrees for sunset, could work fine, moving the light source by 20 degrees for every minute of the day/night.

dude its high time to switch from your 386xt
    if u have low PC - turn off effects
    but dont force ppl with better equipment to suffer

OP - is right, its great idea - VALVE do it pls