Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Combat log revealing inaccessible information

Basic Member

[Confirmed] Combat log revealing inaccessible information

Just saw a Clockwerk hitting a smoked Venomancer in Fnatic vs nth, had an idea to check wether combat log displays it.

Tested in private lobby with tournament version in regular dota2 client.

570_screenshots_2013-04-26_00006.jpg

This if from spectators perspective, but I saw the damage line as the clockwerk. The smoke buff line was obviously not there.

The bug can easily be abused, if you hit someone smoked/invisble you can get this information you are not supposed to have.

Would be nice if someone else could confirm.

I don't think it's worth deliberately screwing up the combat log functionality in order to deal with smoke / invis issues though, it's a really important tool :/
    Please help keep the forums clean by reporting rude or abusive posts!
    Got a problem? PM me or another moderator!
    Forum Rules

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
    I don't think it's worth deliberately screwing up the combat log functionality in order to deal with smoke / invis issues though, it's a really important tool :/
    It should at least be fixed/shut down during tournament games. Imagine a team smoking to rosh. Supports may stay smoked somewhere, so you hit them with rocket but should still not know where they are. Big plus if you can tell that you actually hit them with rocket and they just hang around smoked. You can also tell their location.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbaz View Post
    It should at least be fixed/shut down during tournament games. Imagine a team smoking to rosh. Supports may stay smoked somewhere, so you hit them with rocket but should still not know where they are. Big plus if you can tell that you actually hit them with rocket and they just hang around smoked. You can also tell their location.
    Oh, sorry, I misunderstood then. Yeah, I definitely think it should be restricted in tournament games to prevent this sort of thing (great example: using Heartstopper or Radiance as an invis-detector).
    Please help keep the forums clean by reporting rude or abusive posts!
    Got a problem? PM me or another moderator!
    Forum Rules

Basic Member
    Actually i think combat log should be disabled completely for MM and lobby games with cheats off.

Combat log in matchmaking games provide only the information of your own units, nothing more. Not sure if it would show up the information about you hitting an invisible rikimaru with Rocket Flare, but I think that information would also not be provided... I may never know that unless I get in a set-up matchmaking game, or find some people who want to co-operate while playing

Don't know about private non-cheat lobby games, but I was thinking that they also wouldn't show up the extra information, just like the matchmaking games

Edit I know this because I had also wondered about this like OP did while playing a game some time ago, waited for the enemy ursa to kill the rosh in one game, tried to check the combat log afterwards, but no information was there, not even the information of my teammates

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    Combat log in matchmaking games provide only the information of your own units, nothing more. Not sure if it would show up the information about you hitting an invisible rikimaru with Rocket Flare, but I think that information would also not be provided... I may never know that unless I get in a set-up matchmaking game, or find some people who want to co-operate while playing

Don't know about private non-cheat lobby games, but I was thinking that they also wouldn't show up the extra information, just like the matchmaking games
    I just tested it. The screenshot is from the replay, spectator perspective. But i could see the line about the damage even when playing the clock myself. So yes, it would show information about hitting invis riki.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbaz View Post
    I just tested it. The screenshot is from the replay, spectator perspective. But i could see the line about the damage even when playing the clock myself. So yes, it would show information about hitting invis riki.
    May I ask you how you have managed to have the shared vision of your opponents, and also have them, without having a cheats-enabled lobby?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post

Edit I know this because I had also wondered about this like OP did while playing a game some time ago, waited for the enemy ursa to kill the rosh in one game, tried to check the combat log afterwards, but no information was there, not even the information of my teammates
    For example you can check current HP of fleeing enemy if you've used Battle hunger/urn/poison on him and then use Zeus ulti if hp drops low enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic3k View Post
    For example you can check current HP of fleeing enemy if you've used Battle hunger/urn/poison on him and then use Zeus ulti if hp drops low enough.
    I said you just don't see the log for non-owned units while playing a matchmaking game, and you are telling me how it would be possible to abuse it if it was existent...