Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Intended] Rubick vs. Dirge Double Tombstone

Basic Member

[Intended] Rubick vs. Dirge Double Tombstone

In DotA 1, Living Dead from Tombstone spawned for other Living Dead. Due to their attack damage, they one-shot each other. In Dota 2, Undying Zombies from Tombstone do not spawn for each other.

Repro:
    1. Get ye Undying and Grand Magus
    2. Drop ye Zombie House
    3. Steal and drop another one with Rubick
    4. In DotA 1, Living Dead will continually spawn and kill each other every three seconds. If they are not interfered with, you will never have more than one Living Dead attacking you at a time since your allied Tombstone will clear zombies with the same interval as they are spawned (and vice-versa).
    5. In Dota 2, Undying Zombies will only spawn and attack Rubick and Dirge. Left alone, they will just accumulate on the two heroes.

This may or may not be related to weird shenanigans involving Valve's fixes for TOO MANY ZOMBIES on -wtf or something.

Volunteer Moderator
    This got changed in a patch due to performance issues and it causing a LOT of crashes. Definitely known and intended, and if they decide to work on performance later maybe they will re-implement it.

Basic Member
    Were the performance issues that bad when there's only a few zombies at a time since they kill each other immediately every three seconds?

Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah. They were. I still can't find the exact patchnotes, but it definitely happened :P

Quote Originally Posted by imxtrabored View Post
    Were the performance issues that bad when there's only a few zombies at a time since they kill each other immediately every three seconds?
    Say there are 5 zombies out. Rubick steals tombstone and puts it down.

They spawn and now there are 10 zombies.

Now it spawns again and there are 20.

Again and there are 40.

Once more and it's now 80.

See how it goes up like that? Dota is not meant to be made for a lot of units like wc3 and starcraft are, it's made for 5v5 with some units here and there. The ability for it to handle such a large amount of units simply isn't there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri Battousai View Post
    Firstly hi, i am not a racist but really i hate all of russians....

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post

Again and there are 40.

See how it goes up like that? Dota is not meant to be made for a lot of units like wc3 and starcraft are, it's made for 5v5 with some units here and there. The ability for it to handle such a large amount of units simply isn't there.
    The zombies die. It doesn't skyrocket infinitly.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post

Again and there are 40.

If there are 5 zombies out (say they are all chasing Rubick) and Rubick steals Tombstone, Rubick's Tombstone spawns one zombie on Dirge and 5 more zombies which kill Dirge's zombies. Rubick's zombies die because they lack a target There is now only one zombie chasing Dirge.

Dirge's zombies spawn; one instantly kills Rubick's zombie and dies due to lack of target. There is now one zombie chasing Rubick. This cycle repeats only once every three seconds.

With two opposing Tombstones, there's only a max of two zombies in each unit chain at a time, and only very briefly. However, if everyone else confirms that there were indeed technical issues I can't really argue.
    Last edited by imxtrabored; 04-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Zombies are also capped to a max of 64.

Basic Member
    Yeah so I don't get how there would be a performance issue, unless units aren't "removed" from the game for a long time for some reason? But then again my knowledge of Dota 2 in the Source engine is pushing buttons and squinting and guessing so shruug~!

The Valve weaves as the Valve wills, and us mortals can do naught but play the wind that gives life to the seas.

Volunteer Moderator
    Well. It caused game crashes. Does anything else matter? Like I said before, if valve fix the performance issues then sure they can revert it, but currently it's not viable for it to work.