Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Illuminate should show a separate visual in front of KOTL

[Confirmed] Illuminate should show a separate visual in front of KOTL

While channeled it should show a lightning ball 150 units in front of him that can be seen if you have vision of it even if you can't see KOTL himself. It's size and facing direction (not sure if that is actually visible) should reflect the state of the Illuminate being channeled.

source

Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post

As I guessed and UnAVA has said, the visual light ball is already there and clearly visible:

but it becomes invisible to the enemy as soon as the kotl is fogged
    it should be visible as long as the ball itself is not fogged, ball should be seperately visible, and that is what doomsheep's report is about

I was wrong by saying "far less obvious", sorry for that. It is pretty obvious, only isn't regarded as a seperate object while getting decided whether to be seen or not
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsheep View Post
    Obviously he has an animation for it. That wasn't the point. The light should be a separate unit that can be seen separately even if KOTL himself is fogged.
    Last edited by doomsheep; 04-30-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added quote

Basic Member
    i always assumed that the ball was exchanged by audible charging noise?
    isnt that the case?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Replacing the visual... with sound...
    what kind of a logic is that, I play the game with sounds off all the time, this is not counterstrike...
    and how can we answer that question, they already add visuals/sounds as they please, to make the game look/sound good; none of us can deduct that "okay, there is a sound now, so they without a doubt must have intended a replacement for the visual with that" without talking with the designers of kotl in Dota 2... they could have just made a sound effect for it for the hell of it, so that it would feel pleasant

Anyway, I think there already is a light-bulb like thing at the tip of kotl's wand in Dota 2 anyway, it is just far less obvious than what it was in DotA. I think they could and should make it more stronger. Maybe a magical tiny sized glass ball like thing can get created and filled with "illuminating dust" that gets poured from the staff or so, and the glass ball shall shine more and more as it gets channelled

There is a ball in front of KotL. Its pretty clear tbh. Also as the ball doesn't really give you any vision, I don't think this is a gameplay bug
    The shorter the signature, the better

Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    Replacing the visual... with sound...
    what kind of a logic is that, I play the game with sounds off all the time, this is not counterstrike...
    and how can we answer that question, they already add visuals/sounds as they please, to make the game look/sound good; none of us can deduct that "okay, there is a sound now, so they without a doubt must have intended a replacement for the visual with that" without talking with the designers of kotl in Dota 2... they could have just made a sound effect for it for the hell of it, so that it would feel pleasant
    Honestly, playing without sound is pretty bad. My best friend does so too and I can't count the scenes where I shouted "skill xyz incoming" and he was just like "wtf, how did you know?". The sound range (even if the bugs are fixed) is bigger then your screen and some stuff is way more noticable with sound, TURN IT ON
    Anyway, I think there already is a light-bulb like thing at the tip of kotl's wand in Dota 2 anyway, it is just far less obvious than what it was in DotA. I think they could and should make it more stronger. Maybe a magical tiny sized glass ball like thing can get created and filled with "illuminating dust" that gets poured from the staff or so, and the glass ball shall shine more and more as it gets channelled
    Still, you're right. When Kotl was released, I had horrible problems recognizing the cast. It's not an issue anymore as you get used to it, but the unit being visible 150 in FRONT of Kotl is a balance change and should be fixed.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Basic Member
    best examples of sounds being deliberatly added to the game are ice blast and (assumingly) overpower.
    it's a far better way than some lightning bulb floating in the air.

all those 3 spells make beginners ask "wtf did just hit me there?".
    the sound gives them at least some way to determine where it came from.

but before we discuss it in all length here. is the sound of illuminate audible to enemies? i was just assuming it was.
    Last edited by blash365; 04-30-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

It is pointless...
    the sound has nothing to do with what is being reported here, please just let that thing go, it is simply off-topic
    I say please

As I guessed and UnAVA has said, the visual light ball is already there and clearly visible:

but it becomes invisible to the enemy as soon as the kotl is fogged
    it should be visible as long as the ball itself is not fogged, ball should be seperately visible, and that is what doomsheep's report is about

I was wrong by saying "far less obvious", sorry for that. It is pretty obvious, only isn't regarded as a seperate object while getting decided whether to be seen or not

Basic Member
    added to sticky.

Okay, but to tell the truth, the visual is ~180 units in front of the kotl instead of 150, so in case this is to be fixed to be DotA alike, then to not overkill the illuminate, I think they sooner or later shall better reduce it somehow... It will require some extensive work regarding animations, but... yeah, I'm just saying

WTF happened in this thread

Obviously he has an animation for it. That wasn't the point. The light should be a separate unit that can be seen separately even if KOTL himself is fogged.
    Last edited by doomsheep; 04-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.