Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 424 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of this new report/mute system

Pros and Cons of this new report/mute system

Some quick thoughts on today's blog post:

So with this update we’re adding a system that detects players who are clearly reducing the fun of other players specifically through text and voice chat – and temporarily removes their ability to use those chat systems. Once they return to being additive to the community, they can re-earn that functionality
    While I like the intention behind this system, I really do not want to be placed onto teams with players who cannot communicate. At its core, DotA is a game of teamwork, and getting a player with muted voice/text put on your team would seem to be a sizeable disadvantage. That means no lane calls, gank requests, or any other strategic information with what could be a significant part of your team.

Perhaps it would be useful to have a menu of pre-approved chat messages that muted players could pop open to use? Stuff like "Ganking top" "Roshan now" "Need a gank" and so forth, very basic messages that would allow a muted player to still have some communication with his/her team.

Someone that is badmmaner,trashtalk is mad, lol.
    I think is a brilliant idea, really brilliant, I don't want DOTA2 be a badmanner place like HoN, when you feed and they call you retard, faggot.
    You can't report in HoN for badmanner or trashtalker, their Ceo actually is a big trashtalker(Maliken), this another reason why HoN fail.
    Last edited by ZabatieL; 11-10-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Banned
    I cannot communicate. I typically solo in higher level games and cannot call lanes. I also solo long-lanes a lot in tryhard games with tri-lanes, and cannot communicate when that hero is leaving to gank our tri-lane if tower is pushed up (when they typically will buy a TP scroll by turning on RoB to push lane to tower at level 6 or before, and see a prime time to get top lane if we had ont warded the lane top for ganks. Yes, Dota is a game this nerdy at times).

It's a burden, not a solution. I've had kids break Pudge ult early to KS me, the Sk gets an ult off and he kills us both. I would call this trashy player out for being greedy and not assuring the kill 100%, but he just gets to say 'gg' and thinks his play is correct. I also cannot talk back to anyone. It's a complete waste of time for me to play and it burdens my team with me not being able to say what runes, etc, someone is getting.

But hey, if keeps fickle egos intact for lesser players that can't accept they're bad, then go for it. They can keep losing as a result of the system

Basic Member
    League of Legends, another MOBA, had to deal with this. They added a few commands, /ignoreally and /ignoreenemy iirc, which made it so you didn't get any communication from whatever team. It caused some problems though. A somewhat well-known member of the games community, Colbycheese, would constantly get flamed and trolled in game, moreso if he was streaming, with the goal of those trolling him to fill his on-stream chat with profanity. So he started using the ignore commands, and was subsequently suspended a week later for "failure to communicate with team." Unfortunately, people BM and they should be able to be ignored and there should be no penalty for doing so.

As for your second suggestion, doesn't pinging or using ctrl to draw an arrow suffice?

Ah, KingRaven.

You're one of the best, if not THE best example, of why this system is needed.
    For those who don't know him, he's quite famous in the HoN community for his bad temper, raging at other when they fail, and insulting them in the most unimaginable ways conceived. His insult were actually so famous, that someone even made a site to generate KingRaven-like insults:

http://www.kingraveninsults.com/

Take your own conclusions...

I personally, vote yes for this chat-mute. Not having to tolerate this kind of abuse cannot be seen as a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AirPhforce View Post
    League of Legends, another MOBA, had to deal with this. They added a few commands, /ignoreally and /ignoreenemy iirc, which made it so you didn't get any communication from whatever team. It caused some problems though. A somewhat well-known member of the games community, Colbycheese, would constantly get flamed and trolled in game, moreso if he was streaming, with the goal of those trolling him to fill his on-stream chat with profanity. So he started using the ignore commands, and was subsequently suspended a week later for "failure to communicate with team." Unfortunately, people BM and they should be able to be ignored and there should be no penalty for doing so.

As for your second suggestion, doesn't pinging or using ctrl to draw an arrow suffice?
    This is totally different.
    Here you can hear your teammates chat and voice and follow their orders.
    This is not a total ignore funtion like you describe that happen in LoL.

Banned
    Yes, and I also help teammates on where to counter ward, what needs to be done to win a game, and what players are doing wrong. I'm pretty straight forward player if you listen. Problem is, no one listens. If we need wards, I let people know. If I need to farm a lane, it's easier to type than a dubious ping. You think it's all flaming; you're also embarrassingly wrong.

That said, I just had a game where Zues went 1-8 mid, the SF ended 34-2, yet he blamed me on void for not carrying. I canont defend myself against such a huge pile of trash, so please give us 'muted' players the ability to also ignore everyone else in game. Road should go both ways. I find it so funny that if I'm in a 2v1 lane bottom, the guy doesn't pull. I can't ask him to pull - I have to suffer, and, as a result, the team suffers because my farm is hurt, my exp is leeched. It could be the other way around - the player doesn't need me to lane with him anymore because he's fine, and cannot ask me to pull/stack the jungle.

This idea was so poorly thought out and poorly implemented; it seems just like a rush job to keep people happy. Admittedly, the majority of new players here aren't good and need coaching.

I think if you dont want to hear a player, you should be able to ignore, and that ignore carries over into the next game. Global mute has produced lower quality games for me and the players I'm with. I could care less about the 'ignore', but the point is the mute affects other lanes, other players and the outcome of the game, which is not what a feature should do. A feature of a good player is they're able to read what another player will do based on position, aggression, etc (you know, how good teams 'read their teammates' minds). This skill isn't readily learned and if you're thinking people in half these 'High' beta games are going to have any idea how to read what I'm going to do based on the aforementioned features without me explicity stating it to them, then you're sorely mistaken.
    Last edited by KingRaven; 11-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalium View Post
    Ah, KingRaven.

You're one of the best, if not THE best example, of why this system is needed.
    For those who don't know him, he's quite famous in the HoN community for his bad temper, raging at other when they fail, and insulting them in the most unimaginable ways conceived. His insult were actually so famous, that someone even made a site to generate KingRaven-like insults:

http://www.kingraveninsults.com/

Take your own conclusions...

I personally, vote yes for this chat-mute. Not having to tolerate this kind of abuse cannot be seen as a bad thing.
    That website is hilarious.
    However, in the event of such system, I really do hope Valve would implement a preset group of commands such as in CounterStrike.
    Such as those which OP suggested.

P.S.: KingRaven's point is valid. We can't ignore the fact that there are newcomers who have totally no idea of the game.
    Played with a DK who bought a belt at the start, then a bracer, orge club and an ultimate orb, he has 0/13 K/D.
    My team lost the game before the 30 minute mark.

However, there's absolutely no need for extreme raging.
    Last edited by BenSkysong; 11-10-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Banned
    oh another classy situation that arose: I had a BS on my team and Iw as spectre: couldn't figure out who was getting the radiance due to lack of communication but we both had around 3200 gold.

Great idea here.
    Last edited by KingRaven; 11-11-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Banned
    Horrible idea. It's annoying when you are muted or when you have to play with someone who is muted.
    + I doubt that anyone is actually checking the reports. Could basicly result in a lot of false reports which result in a chat mute.
    Last edited by PandaSucks; 11-11-2011 at 12:24 AM.