Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Add Pause functionality

Add Pause functionality

Teams should be able to pause with a 4/5 vote, but only be given a set number of pauses per game. Much like HoN, you can have the other team unpause it after 1 minute of paused time. For competitive games you can disable this so only referees can pause (if that is even an issue). I think this would be very helpful for pub play.

I agree, some kind of pause function is needed. Not necessarily the way you describe it though.

Basic Member
    Yeah i think a pause function is needed. The limitations could all be worked later ofc.

+1 to pause

Pausing is available in Practice or Tournament games that have a directly connected broadcaster or referee spectator. It will probably not be available in public matchmaking games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Pausing is available in Practice or Tournament games that have a directly connected broadcaster or referee spectator. It will probably not be available in public matchmaking games.
    Is there any reason why? I feel like if someone's computer crashes and needs to reboot, they will be severely crippled in levels if it is towards the early stages of the game. A simple pause function would remedy this.

Quote Originally Posted by SUNSfan View Post
    Is there any reason why? I feel like if someone's computer crashes and needs to reboot, they will be severely crippled in levels if it is towards the early stages of the game. A simple pause function would remedy this.
    I share your concern but in public games, pausing never works. Try pausing a game in garena..3 people will resume instantly; 3 other people will bad mouth you and so on.

Also, I believe there will be features like AI takes over at some point which further reduces pausing needs (see alien swarm).

Basic Member
    Yes that's because of the limitations of the Wc3 engines pause function. There could always be limitations on how many times you can pause per team and such.

The pause function is used in pretty much every HoN game that is played on TMM due to the human nature of the players. A team dont want to play 4v5 and rather pause 1 min to let a player reconnects. I have never had a game being ruined by this, due to it being limited by 3 pauses for each team for a maximum of 1 minute before the other team can unpause.

Yeah, I believe we are being a tad pessimistic here. I play D1 in a free to play PVPGN (hence leavers, flamers and trolls compose 60% of the playerbase) and even still, more often than not, everyone is okay with the game being paused if there's a reason for it (waiting for an AFK player, waiting for someone who is lagging to check what's the problem, etc.). True, they might get anxious after 2 or 3 minutes of waiting, but at least they conceded you that.

I'd like to have a pause function in MM, as long as some measures to prevent its abuse are implemented (Like several players needing to vote for pausing, or limited pauses per team, not per player).

Basic Member
    agreed with the pause, and again it seems like the argument again the pause feature is catering towards the ragers. The majority of players are not like that, they are simply the ones that leave the most impact on you. I've played over a thousand games of HoN, and rarely does the issue of people refusing to pause come up. This would only be a problem in a tiny fraction of all games, and there are immense benefits from having an option to pause imo, because in a higher level MM game, even a 30 second disconnect can set a player or a lane back tremendously.