View Poll Results: Is the report system good for the game and community?

Voters
756. You may not vote on this poll
  • The report/mute system is a good idea and its working properly, leave it be.

155 20.50%
  • It could use some adjustments, but the idea of global mute as punishment is fine.

180 23.81%
  • The idea &/or the execution of the system are essentially flawed, the system needs to be removed.

421 55.69%
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the mute system working to improve the community and gameplay experience?

Basic Member
    I don't have a problem with the mute system as a whole. I'm of the opinion that if you have been muted, it's for good reason.
    However, I feel that the length of time you are muted for is a little bit too much. I've been muted twice previously, for 24 and 72 hours consecutively. I figured, as I had not been muted for a while, I would return to the 24 hour timeframe. Instead, I get muted for a whopping 7 days. I understand that I deserve some time out but an entire week I feel is too much. 3 days is fine.

Also, as the system is automated it is rife with players who choose to abuse it. If they disagree with a team member or dislike their playstyle, they can simply report him and he'll get punished. Not because he was guilty, but because the odds are against him.

The mute system is an abysmal approach to solving whatever problem Valve thinks that the excellent Mute button couldn't address. It wrecks games by hamstringing the muted player and the team mates of the muted player.

Remove immediately.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWilder View Post
    I'd just like to say that such a poll is quite pointless, only a small % of players have an account on dev.dota. And people are more likely to make an account to say that they dislike the mute system, because those that don't have issues with it are enjoying the game, instead of spamming forums.
    Isn't that the purpose of this forum? To notify the developers that a particular aspect in development is working in an improper fashion?

We're spamming the forums because that's how you get their attention. It's sad, but that's how anything gets done. Otherwise they'll just keep making more hats instead of fixing this or bringing out techies.

I don't understand your augments. They lack any concrete evidence, and one would think if someone made an account to complain about this (seemingly a lot of people), then there's something wrong. It's like lpq all over again except this is probably worse.
    Last edited by Finn432; 05-23-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamae View Post
    I don't have a problem with the mute system as a whole. I'm of the opinion that if you have been muted, it's for good reason.
    However, I feel that the length of time you are muted for is a little bit too much. I've been muted twice previously, for 24 and 72 hours consecutively. I figured, as I had not been muted for a while, I would return to the 24 hour timeframe. Instead, I get muted for a whopping 7 days. I understand that I deserve some time out but an entire week I feel is too much. 3 days is fine.

Also, as the system is automated it is rife with players who choose to abuse it. If they disagree with a team member or dislike their playstyle, they can simply report him and he'll get punished. Not because he was guilty, but because the odds are against him.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the system:
    The time of the punishement is part of the system
    The fact of the system being automated as well

You said you have no problem with the system as a whole (Which includes those 2 things) But then you say you dont like em?
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

banned for 168 hours twice in 20 days...that gives me 6 days unmuted...jajaj

Basic Member
    Yes that system is good only when someone check the reports.
    If nobody check / verify the reports if the people who make them have right or not then this system is a big bullshit .
    If you win few games and humiliate the oponents they become angry and make fake reports .
    This system must be removed or several revised.
    + 1 to be removed
    + 1 to be revised ( all players who make fake reports to get muted or low priority )

If someone check the reports and the bad loosers are punished for fake reports this abuse of fake reports will be end .
    This is what i do belive.
    Last edited by Yurak; 05-23-2013 at 05:48 AM.

The ping muting/quota is abysmal too, utterly fcuking up even the most basic communication.

Again, what problem is this solving that the Mute button couldn't?

Remove immediately.

Basic Member
    I support this thread
    Please remove the mute system, it does nothing but hurt the entirety of the game.
    The manual mute system works perfectly.

Basic Member
    these flamers never shut up.

on topic: yes.
    Last edited by Hasheem; 05-23-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasheem View Post
    these flamers never shut up.
    given your description "My e-penis is the largest!" you're just a simple troll