View Poll Results: Is the report system good for the game and community?

Voters
756. You may not vote on this poll
  • The report/mute system is a good idea and its working properly, leave it be.

    155 20.50%
  • It could use some adjustments, but the idea of global mute as punishment is fine.

    180 23.81%
  • The idea &/or the execution of the system are essentially flawed, the system needs to be removed.

    421 55.69%
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 670

Thread: Is the mute system working to improve the community and gameplay experience?

  1. #21
    Basic Member Beardbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by findus View Post
    Again, what problem is this solving that the Mute button couldn't?
    The problem it solves is that people are more willing to pop open the scoreboard, click a name, click report, select communications abuse and submit than they are to click the little mute button.

    (I can't get over the fact that the comms abuse report doesn't automute the person for you, so until you actually find the button your personal problem with him will persist)

  2. #22
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmendrich View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the system:
    The time of the punishement is part of the system
    The fact of the system being automated as well

    You said you have no problem with the system as a whole (Which includes those 2 things) But then you say you dont like em?
    I suppose it's a love and hate situation

  3. #23
    Basic Member wachon1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Córdoba, Argentina
    Posts
    2,138
    support. the previous mute function was way better than this flawled system. any1 can report you for any reason they feel like and as noene checks the reports u just get muted.
    also the mayority of the ppl who say they arent muted its because they are really polite and others just play in stacks of 3-5 wich wont get u never muted.
    only way id support the mute system it would be if someone actually checks the reports before applying the mute and not having an automated system.


  4. #24
    Basic Member Slotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by wachon1992 View Post
    support. the previous mute function was way better than this flawled system. any1 can report you for any reason they feel like and as noene checks the reports u just get muted.
    also the mayority of the ppl who say they arent muted its because they are really polite and others just play in stacks of 3-5 wich wont get u never muted.
    only way id support the mute system it would be if someone actually checks the reports before applying the mute and not having an automated system.
    I think thats the point, be polite and you won't get muted.

    Furthermore, you don't get muted by just any reports, it doesn't work that way.

  5. #25
    Basic Member Beardbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotz View Post
    I think thats the point, be polite and you won't get muted.

    Furthermore, you don't get muted by just any reports, it doesn't work that way.
    The only thing people bother reporting for at this point is comms, because they know 4 reports in one hour gets you an automatic punishment.

  6. #26
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1
    Agreed 110%.

    Was just muted a few days ago for 2 days, and I'm now muted again for a whole week. The chat wheel is insufficient in coordinating proper team play, such as pulling waves back so our creeps can mess up someones tower, or setting up ganks.

    It's simply a tool for petty retribution if there's ever a dispute, which happens in virtually every match of DotA you'll ever play. Seriously, I don't get it. You can mute people in game if they're being particularly troublesome, so to me, a global mute is just overkill.

    What's stupid, is that it punishes the team too. I've played with muted people, and it sucks. Coordinating with them is 100x more difficult because it's just a guessing game.

    Global mute is like a messed up social experiment. Human beings get frustrated with each other, we say cruel things to each other, we try to intimidate each other, we like to play with each others heads, so on and so forth. It's just how we are, and always have been, and we especially behave like this in team based games. If you're surprised by this, you may have been sheltered as a kid.

  7. #27
    Basic Member wachon1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Córdoba, Argentina
    Posts
    2,138
    you get muted instantly after the game after having 3 reports from any one and with a description like this: sadsduashdsdhasudhasdp


  8. #28
    Basic Member Beardbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by wachon1992 View Post
    you get muted instantly after the game after having 3 reports from any one and with a description like this: sadsduashdsdhasudhasdp
    Actually, it seems to be 4 reports in one hour for the automated system to mute you.

  9. #29
    Basic Member wachon1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Córdoba, Argentina
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardbeard View Post
    Actually, it seems to be 4 reports in one hour for the automated system to mute you.
    believe me buddy, yesterday i got muted again for 168 hours. the 3 man stack reported me for not following " their plan". after the game ended i wanted to talk a bit on my country channel to find out i was muted. the system is automated, it takes 3-4 reports to mute you, noene checks the reports and its instant after the game is over.


  10. #30
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    39

    Cool

    I would like to address the cons, from my personal viewpoint and using my own experience, that OP has listed:

    - Cripples every team and player the muted player will play with while muted, extending the punishment to people who didn't have anything to do with the previous abuse
    Sorry, either I'm insanely lucky or your use of the definition "every player" is invalid. I've never suffered in a game to the point where I would have questioned if someone is muted or not. I have yet to even see a person using something related to mute status in their player nick.

    - Is automated, hence people CAN abuse it...they only abuse it less now because there's less reports (I'm not saying its always abused, because obviously a lot of mean players are muted as well)
    Yet again I'm either insanely lucky or your description of the supposed abuse is excessive. I've been told countless times in so many games that I have been reported for whatnot at times. Almost always on false claims, although. Never had mute enforced on me, even of the alleged reporting abuse that has been supposedly directed at me many times.

    - It NEEDS us to have less reports (2 only, so that it wont be abused as much) so people who play more than a couple games a week, run out of reports quickly, and both mean players and other types of game ruiners, walk off unpunished
    With this I concur; I too would like to have more in the amount of reports I can file in a week. 2 is not enough, judging from what I've seen.

    - Gives a tool to trolls and intentional game ruiners to ATTACK other players and actually have an EFFECT and PUNISH the other person without any admin/mod intervention (Something I have NEVER seen on ANY game EVER)
    I wouldn't call it a tool here 'cause that causes the assosiation of it being effective in the hands of said trolls and whatnot. Seems a bit exaggerating in my humble opinion.
    Also you speak of personal experience of never seeing this kind of harmful action in any game ever before? I'm sure you must have played Counter-Strike or, say, Call of Duty at some time? I remember these games and having myself and friends kicked out of games 'cause someone was unfairly upset and initiated a vote kick that other's blindly followed to get on with the game itself. Even the original DotA had a third-party tool that allowed you to kick specific player(s) during gameplay. Just saying that you should broaden your experience and after a while, this doesn't seem so unbelievably bad to you.

    - Makes players AFRAID of making funny comments when something happens in game "I survived with 3 hp :P luckyyyy" or other gentle/friendly taunts, as the other player might be a RagingReportTroll
    I'm not afraid because of this, never have been and probably never will be. I'm not funny but I still manage to crack lame jokes in all chat without any fear of being reported. If they report, then I would like to discuss about what offended them and then apologise. After that, problem solved as it is "out of our hands". I suggest this behaviour to others you feel you have described with this particular con.

    - There's no REAL set of rules written down for which one player can or cannot report someone else (Is it okay to call someone "beginner" instead of "noob?" is "Noob okay?" is "Please, would you be kind enough to stop diving and suiciding 5v1?" an insult? (because a lot of people take it that way)
    It should be taught to you as a child what is appropriate and what is not and how to deal with it. This is a common part of being raised, in my opinion. If you are not taught and you are unaware, for example in the cases you presented now, how to behave then may I suggest asking first if someone would be offended by something you would like to say? Or if you say it, then add "no offense" or something like this. This is being more polite and considerate, and I do believe people in general will appreciate this kind of behaviour.
    If you are waiting for a game to tell you how to interact with other human beings, then I'm afraid you've been brought up wrong (in my opinion) or you have completely misunderstood the said game's intentions. I'm glad though, if my crude tip is of service to you or anyone else.

    - You can make people think twice about saying "FUCKING RETARD" but you cant educate them in an online game, if they want to bitch at people they'll do, they already do with multiple accounts or simply not playing Sundays and Mondays
    I do feel the contrary. Said education can take any form of information, can it not? For example, you or one other might say the offensive slur "retard" to another and I, for example, would be quick to add that this term is actually offensive to handicapped people. I'm very sure you or any other one would not perhaps considered this as I've seen this slur being used like it was the air that you breathe. Thus, I would have in the best case scenario given you or any other new knowledge of the vocabulary he/ she uses and effectively changed it for (in my opinion) the better.
    I'm not entirely sure if you meant your statement as another absolute, but I read it so. If this was not your intention, then I apologise for sounding nitpicky.


    There. I have countered your cons and would like to hear your reply to my views and takes! Break a leg.
    Off- topic: I took the liberty to fix a single typo of yours that caught my eye in a bad way, hope you don't mind.

    Edit: I would also like to add that I have now learned that people seem to sometimes think that the likes of me (who are never muted etc. etc.) play in "stacks" with friends or something like that. This is not clearly the case with me as I almost always play without friends. *Insert "forever alone" joke here*
    Last edited by Nihoggr; 05-23-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Newfound knowledge of an argument I made

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •