Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Global Mute is now being used to promote racism and homophobia

Global Mute is now being used to promote racism and homophobia

There's already language barrier tensions and people queuing cross regions. The chat mutes are already being used for these racist purposes.

Just talked to one of my Steam friends today. Apparently he got queued with a 4-stack that reported him for "having a voice like a faggot". Even if my friend isn't actually gay, this is beyond horrifying. I suspect that anyone that doesn't conform to a group of players ideals is at risk for being selectively muted.

Valve, please fix this immediately. It's a disgrace that anyone can be muted at any time for "sounding black" or having a "gay 14-year old voice".

Valve, you realize this is a real life issue, correct? It's incredibly offensive to allow it.

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

Basic Member
    Just one more strike against the system.

Quote Originally Posted by ABadManneredPlayer View Post
    There's already language barrier tensions and people queuing cross regions. The chat mutes are already being used for these racist purposes.

Just talked to one of my Steam friends today. Apparently he got queued with a 4-stack that reported him for "having a voice like a faggot". Even if my friend isn't actually gay, this is beyond horrifying. I suspect that anyone that doesn't conform to a group of players ideals is at risk for being selectively muted.

Valve, please fix this immediately. It's a disgrace that anyone can be muted at any time for "sounding black" or having a "gay 14-year old voice".
    Wait, so you are saying that saying "having a voice like a faggot" is saying someone is gay? I probably missed the memo, but when can people sound gay?

but when can people sound gay?
    Well since gay tend to have that very annoying sounding voices (which do they on purpose) maybe his friend has an annoying sounding voice? I know someone like this, he sounds a little gay, but he doesnt do it on purpose, and he has a wife and kids.

Banned
    technically this was already a problem before. It's just gotten worse with the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by q1l4YY8ewS14wHR View Post
    Well since gay tend to have that very annoying sounding voices (which do they on purpose) maybe his friend has an annoying sounding voice? I know someone like this, he sounds a little gay, but he doesnt do it on purpose, and he has a wife and kids.
    So are you saying that is a legit use of the system and that its okay it keeps being abused like this due to being automated?
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

Quote Originally Posted by q1l4YY8ewS14wHR View Post
    Possibly one of the most stupidest things I have ever read.

Banned
    what a homosexual opinion

OH WAIT I THINK THAT MEANS I SARDONICALLY AGREE WITH YOU AND THAT VALVE IS OPTING IN TO DROOLING OVER THEIR CEREAL AND HAVING THEIR MOM WORRY IF THEY CAN HANDLE A SANDWICH WITHOUT CHOKING INSTEAD OF FUCKING MANNING UP AND LISTENING TO THE GODDAMN COMMUNITY

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponera View Post
    what a homosexual opinion

OH WAIT I THINK THAT MEANS I SARDONICALLY AGREE WITH YOU AND THAT VALVE IS OPTING IN TO DROOLING OVER THEIR CEREAL AND HAVING THEIR MOM WORRY IF THEY CAN HANDLE A SANDWICH WITHOUT CHOKING INSTEAD OF FUCKING MANNING UP AND LISTENING TO THE GODDAMN COMMUNITY
    +1 this guy is right Valve should ban all the gays then the problem is solved xD.

No but honestly if people complain about your voice then why dont you just shut the fuck up and type instead that way the problem is solved. Another option is to mute you but then they wont see your text miss calls etc and thats also a problem.
    So the simple sollution is if your accent/voice bothers the people you're playing with then just shut up and type its not that hard, a diffrent sollution could be to add a mute sound button and a seperate mute text button.