Thread: [Fixed?] Whirling Axes In Both Forms Have Geometry Issues

Basic Member

[Fixed?] Whirling Axes In Both Forms Have Geometry Issues

From my findings in this Brainstorming thread:

Ranged Whirling Axes:
    Range is set to 900, should be 945.
    Speed is set to 1200, should be 1500.
    The axe spread is set to 45, I'm assuming 45 degrees. Should be 25 degrees.
    The cast point is correct, 0.2. Dota 2 Wiki is wrong.
    Damage is correct, 75.
    Search radius is correct, 100.
    Slow and duration is correct, 0.3 and 3/3.75/4.5/5.25.
    If you're reading the JASS, the range should be 945 as the trigger actually evaluates 21 times rather than 20, since the trigger destroy effect is checked at the end of the function.
    No good way for me to check the Backswing on this.

Melee Whirling Axes:
    Damage, Blind, and Blind Duration are correct.
    Cast Point is 0, should be 0.2.
    Cast Backswing is 0, should be 0.3.
    Doesn't interrupt orders, should.
    Axe radius is 100, correct.
    Max range is set to 450. Presumably this is the max effect radius, not the max axe radius. Technically correct, although I don't like the implementation.
    Axe movement speed is 1000, totally incorrect. Their absolute radial speed (movement along their radius) should be 233.33..., or 7 units per 0.03 seconds. Their angular speed should be 666.66... degrees per second, or 20 degrees per 0.03 seconds. Thus, they should not have a constant absolute speed. Their radial speed should change direction at 1.5 seconds, because...
    Axe whirl duration is incorrect. Is set to 4 seconds, should be 3 seconds.
    Finally, axes use their movement speed to "follow" Troll, incorrect. They should be in fixed positions around him. This serious bug is most noticeable if you Blink while they are spinning.

Fervor:
    Is one of those Fan of Knives-based abilities that should use a backswing, currently it doesn't.
    Last edited by imxtrabored; 06-04-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Whirling Axes are mostly fixed now, but there are a few notable errors remaining.

Melee Axe speed is now set to 1250. They should behave like Spirits, having a set angular velocity and radial velocity rather than having a set tangential velocity.

Visually, it appears that they don't retract all the way when returning. They should reach their maximum range at 1.5 seconds after release, and fully retract afterwards. This bit isn't conclusive though.

If you teleport or Blink while Melee Axes are spinning, they will visually appear to "follow" you. As far as I can tell, this behavior is purely visual.

The other numbers appear to be corrected (I'll just trust that the backswing is correct).

Basic Member
    so the melee velocity is still 50 units too slow, right?

and what about that velocity thing? i dont quite get it.

and the last thing is returning melee axes dont follow a blinking beastmaster and intead return to his original cast position?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Basic Member
    The two remaining issues are mostly tied to each other.

1. The axes are currently set to a speed of 1250, and visually, they appear to be moving at a constant speed of 1250 as well. They should behave like Spirits, which move "faster" when they're further out and "slower" when they're further in. This is because in DotA 1, they have a set angle per second and a set "change in radius" per second, instead of merely a set speed.. Thus, the axes should move in an angle of 666.66... degrees per second, and the radius of the axes' rotation should change at 233.33... units per second.

2. (Perhaps just visual bug) While Whirling Axes are spinning, they should have fixed positions around you like Spirits, where if you move, they instantly assume the correct angle and distance relative to you. Visually at least, it appears that Whirling Axes does not do this. It is most noticeable with a Blink Dagger or with other heroes that can move Troll instantly. The Axes appear to fly towards Troll's new position at what I would assume is a speed of 1250. This may be only visual as the axes don't seem to deal pass-through damage while flying like this, but I don't have the reflexes to test this thoroughly (if he keeps dealing damage at his arrival position when he arrives but before the axes arrive, etc.).

0.5. I can't tell as I wouldn't trust my eyes and don't have Dota 2 numbers, but it appears that the Axes begin more "inside" Troll than they end. They should begin and end with their centers on Troll's center.
    Last edited by imxtrabored; 07-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Basic Member
    i think, i'll need a video/screenshot comparison for that, sorry.
    preferably in a new thread.