Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Cheaper Items in the Dota 2 Store

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Cheaper Items in the Dota 2 Store

Yes, you read the title and think I'm a jew/selfish bastard without a job. (The last part is true)

Anyway, to get down to business,

Valve's store is going to fail eventually because of the rising prices. With so many sets in store, it's hard for people to choose which set they like better, or which set has higher quality etc.. Hence, people are going to judge by price. People want value for money, not paying a ridiculous $12.99 for a Common PA set (http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20173), I mean really? To quote Luminous, "What...in the actual fuck". I can't see many buying that PA set because of it's tag itself.

Before the Polycount, the item sets were reasonable. We had good looking, nice effected Mythicals for $11.99! (http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20002). It was glorious, and I have no doubt many people bought from that.

I understand that this is a free game, that these cosmetics are used to partially fund the game, but this is just plain stupid. Look at the compendium! Look at it's amount of value and it's demand in the market! It's freaking amazing! $10 for an amazing Battle-Bonus, courier with now a potential unusual effect, and the ability to make predictions and such. For just $10!!!!! And it sold like hotcakes! It's earned you thus far a profit of $1,697,346 upwards. From 1 good value item! A million bucks and rising! I cannot stress this enough, good value = good sales, just look at IT!

So how do we go from here? Do we insult the people who've bought the items by lowering it's price? Maybe, maybe something drastic like that is needed. However, I urge you guys, if you come across this post, to just make 1 patch of items, just 1 patch, lower in price and higher in value for money, and see the change in the profits you guys have.

Some notes in case people get weird:
    • The makers of the items do not set the price, ask any of them if they do.
    • This plan doesn't diminish the quality of items because of it's low price. Items will get afforded the same quality to money ratio. This is just a general lowering of items across the board.
    • My suggestion doesn't apply to non-cosmetic items, like Tournaments and Pennants, just the items for heroes, couriers and other like items.
    • Yes I know the Compendium was a tournament example, but the market remains the same, people want value for money.

tl;dr: Valve's business model isn't working as efficiently as it could, a lower price range across the board would help induce and increase sales and profit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dt4ngy View Post
    not paying a ridiculous $12.99 for a Common PA set (http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20173),
    One of the many bugs in the patch, if you look at the actual items its 2 rares + 3 uncommons, which would label the bundle as rare due to it being based on the rarest item.

Basic Member
    What's more disturbing is the price if you only want to buy 1 part of the set and not the whole one. I mean I got the old lycan set and I only wanted to buy the summoned units and the ulti modifier, but that would cost me 9.5 euro for the ulti and 4.75 for the summmoned units, while the whole set costs 13.49 (Which is fucking ridiculous, coz valve didn't even design the set...).

I hope they reconsider their marketing way, because right now they just see that we are buying and their are just trying to milk us...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mig_ View Post
    One of the many bugs in the patch, if you look at the actual items its 2 rares + 3 uncommons, which would label the bundle as rare due to it being based on the rarest item.
    I concede that point, but compare the latest rubick set and the one before it. (http://www.dota2.com/store/?hidecaro...634838168&h=86), I don't know about you, but that rare set isn't going to get much attention if there's a mythical that has a lower price.

It's just incredibly...weird from valve that they would do it this way.

Well u have point

+1 for this thread
    Thank you IceFrog, Valve and Dota 2 team for everything you doing for Dota 2 community.

Basic Member
    +1
    I love the way when the market arrived, only about 5-7$ for really cool set ( Like lina, nature prophet )

Basic Member
    And one more thing, new item from new set do not drop....it mean we only can buy it from store.

Basic Member
    Ye i agree prices are seriously high. I mean new CK set is 12 € and for the same price i can buy a whole game... Ive bought some from store when prices were ok (like 4-5 € for a set). I understand cooler items have higher prices, but going over 10 € is surely too much.

Basic Member
    People have been paying so they've continued raising prices. Once people quit buying they'll lower them again until they find that "right price." It's just like any business, this is part of the beta testing as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeivousBeast View Post
    People have been paying so they've continued raising prices. Once people quit buying they'll lower them again until they find that "right price." It's just like any business, this is part of the beta testing as well.
    Not many betas allow you to buy items, much less items at over $20 USD each. Valve has already stated that they do not consider this game a beta any more, and it just plain doesn't make sense when mythicals are worth less than rares, when you release items that bug the game up for profit and still price them high. It's not ethical nor smart to charge so much yet do so little to make it worth it.

I understand your point of view, but to me, Valve has already crossed over so much and done so little to make these items work that they just cannot place the items' value so high without giving something. The people that make the items MAKE the items, and all Valve/ Icefrog chooses is to put it into the game and put a number on it. They're not doing a lot. They're doing less than the bare minimum (making the items work as they should) and charging far past the maximum for it.
    Last edited by dt4ngy; 05-27-2013 at 02:33 AM.