Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is smurfing allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Shmendrich View Post
    They also say the mute system isnt automated
    They never did.

EDIT:@above me: Dota 2 does NOT enforce 50%. Learn how a freaking MM system works. While the Dota system needs a lot of work, EVERY good system out there will reach 50% for most of the playerbase.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

If teams are of equal skill than 50% is ensured. In the Dota1 match making bots they tried to ensure a 50% spread of skill on teams. They would also tell you how stacked the game was. For example 53%, scourge stacked (as in Scouge more likely to win)
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Nope. Windows Explorer is not a database
    Take a look into the mirror! You think you are completely unfailable. With your limited knowledge, you think that you know more than someone who is very deep in the matter/an expert.

Basic Member
    They say matchmaking doesn't force 50:50 ratio. This may be partially true. Maybe they do not intend a 50:50 ratio.

But the current system gives you a 50:50 ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    They say matchmaking doesn't force 50:50 ratio. This may be partially true. Maybe they do not intend a 50:50 ratio.

But the current system gives you a 50:50 ratio.
    And this is perfect (even if the matches aren't). As long as it CAN match you with equal enemies, it should and this results in a 50:50 ratio. Only the high-end top 1% of the playerbase and the 1% low-end players should get other values.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Basic Member
    Yet it doesn't match me with players similiar my skill level.

I am forced to play support hero every match because I look at enemy picks and do not rush any carry heroes.

I've come to a point where it is expected to play in a 5 man stack. On offlane I often run in a trilane who stack and pull (or doublepull for Sentinel)

My lane partner is completly unaware of them pulling. Me talking to him result in nothing.

In order for me to actually win a match I have to team up with 4 other players via teamspeak.

Also the reason why I say the game is forcing a 50:50 ratio is because the match are pretty much decided at the beginning. There are hardly any close games. One team always clearly wins by 20-30 minute mark.

Basic Member
    The first step to recovery is admitting that you're not as good as you think, bro.

Basic Member Justinian of Hattes's Avatar
    The reality of the situation is its impossible to stop people from making smurfs. Fact. Can it be regulated? They can try. Can it be disallowed? It sure can't. The only way you'd be able to stop them altogether is make it a capital offense and IP Ban the individual from Dota 2, but that seems a bit harsh unless said individual used smurfs solely to troll when the main account was reported to shit.

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    Yet it doesn't match me with players similiar my skill level.

I am forced to play support hero every match because I look at enemy picks and do not rush any carry heroes.

I've come to a point where it is expected to play in a 5 man stack. On offlane I often run in a trilane who stack and pull (or doublepull for Sentinel)

My lane partner is completly unaware of them pulling. Me talking to him result in nothing.

In order for me to actually win a match I have to team up with 4 other players via teamspeak.

Also the reason why I say the game is forcing a 50:50 ratio is because the match are pretty much decided at the beginning. There are hardly any close games. One team always clearly wins by 20-30 minute mark.

Coordination does not= single player skill level
    Knowledge of the game does not = single player skill level
    Picking counters/proper picks does not = skill level.
    Experience does not = skill level

In game playing ability , timing etc = skill level.

There is a big difference between theory crafting and actually physically acting. If you are regular pulling / stacking that does not make you a better player than someone who doesn't regular pull /stack. They could still dominate you in fights. All you are showing here is that you have superior experience with the game than your allies or opponents, not that you have superior ability.

--> QQ more please

Also one team clearly winning by 20-30 min mark is pretty standard, you get the same in Dota1 pubs as well. This is part of the game. Since the buff on hero kills/assists it can influence the game a lot. If you have 2 kills on lane that's a bonus 800 gold +. This means you could get that Armlet or Yasha or those boots, early. 1 kill is the same as lhing a full creep wave.

Because farm rate is an exponential factor as your damage output increases your farm rate increases, and thus you can buy damage. The factor is much greater in the begging than it is in the late game. If you are underfarmed early your chances of making a comeback diminish. However if you reach mid game with semi decent farm then you still have a chance to pull back in the late game.

Dota is a snowbally game like this, the same can be said for most games. The matches which you have ever had which were very close was probably due to the fact, both teams got to mid game with semi decent farm. Testament to this fact is if you go back into the ricing meta era where you had carries being protected while they farmed for 30 mins, then they came out and fights big clashes that quickly decided the game due to (revive times) took place. These games were a lot closer calls and rarely ended up in complete stomps.

The current meta is simply end the game as fast as possible, that is why a lot of nuke heroes and big AOE impact heroes for quick team fights are emphasized over many utility heroes.

I do not know the real reason behind all of this, and I could be wrong; but for me this is the most logical outcome that I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Nope. Windows Explorer is not a database
    Take a look into the mirror! You think you are completely unfailable. With your limited knowledge, you think that you know more than someone who is very deep in the matter/an expert.

Basic Member
    I am very confident on my playing ability.

What I feel is lacking in my games are teamplays. In pub games however I do not find such teamplay I would have when playing with a friend. I can talk as much as I want they will just get annoyed and focus on lasthitting.

As someone who is not competetivly active since finding a good team is very hard and if finally found, finding the right time to play this is out of option. (On good days (including weekends) I can play 2 hours which is nothing.)
    I enjoyed my 5 man stack matches but had to give up on them because of incompatible time schedule, lack of players and time.

Also playing supporter in a 5 man stack feels totally different than playing supporter in a pub game.
    noone likes to play a support. And when there is finally a supporter you are expected to not-lasthit, to ward. But if things go wrong you shall receive the blame, you shall be blamed for having no items, you shall be blamed for dying so fast and you shall be blamed for doing "nothing" despite having spotted the enemy, warned the team with pings, stunned and hexed the enemy. Also all the glory goes to the carry. Ironically the team leaders from competetive DotA clans are mostly support players. They actually deserve the glory since they make the kills possible.
    Playing with 4 other players where they know the supporter don't have much gold/levels, is an easy target etc. They won't blame you. And having supporters is the key to victory.

In pub games it feels more like they need a supporter to blame their fault at. While they didn't even use the supporters potential.

I'm still convinced that solo queuing in a high ranked match (team matchmaking) is garbage. I know there is an option dedicated to solo queuers but the last time I found a match was after 25+ minutes. And there were countless unsuccessful tries before with 10+ minutes waiting.

Basic Member
    The win loss ratio seems to play a big role on your matchmaking ranking since my smurfs have 54:50 36:30 W:L

Their system detecting one's player skill level must be very accurate if the 50:50 ratio is applied so quickly. /sarcasm

But I am wondering how they detect it. The profile of a carry looks totally different than of a supporters. One would think - judging by lasthits, K/D/A - that the carry got a lot of work done. And the supporter?

Maybe I should stop playing supporters.