Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Dota 2 Factors Vertical Axis Into Projectile Speed

Basic Member

[Confirmed] Dota 2 Factors Vertical Axis Into Projectile Speed

See video.

Dota 2 seems to use the vertical axis as well when it comes to calculating projectile movement. In the video, notice how even though Mirana's collision box passes by all of the towers before heading into the fountain, the tower projectiles can't reach her until she descends. In DotA 1, projectile speed is defined purely on the xy plane, and movement in the vertical axis isn't factored into the listed projectile speeds, which were copied into Dota 2. If the unit had its fly height set to a really high value, the projectile would appear to "speed up" so that its ground movement is the same. The end result is that projectiles in Dota 2 move slower when compared to DotA 1 as part of their velocity vector is "wasted" in going up or down.

Basic Member
    Nice Volvo, nice....

Volunteer Moderator
    That is actually ridiculous... And probably helps to explain a few things - this could cause some of the speed bugs - they've taken it as absolute speed rather than x/y component resultant... Sigh.

Basic Member
    Umm...that'd be because Mirana's Leap fully disjoint projectile right now?

Note how before you land, there's a few of the fountain's projectile hitting animation, but you weren't taking damage.

Then after you land, it was 4 hits from the fountain (133 damage each or so) that killed you.

Can you try again with something like tiny's Toss vs stationary target being targeted by a single projectile skill?
    Every time someone make a false report.
    Making people's losses feel worse with just my name (don't ask me how it work, I certainly don't)

Currently observed Orb(Unique Attack Modifiers), Critical, and Bash interactions for DotA2

To:
    People who cry MM isn't fair: Maybe you're not as great as you make yourself to be.
    People who wants surrender: It exists, but I'm not teaching you how to do it.

Volunteer Moderator
    The projectiles still take too long to hit...

Basic Member
    It disjoints projectiles when you leap, not while leaping.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.

it still appears that the projectiles travel longer as well as their damage time is issued later (noticable inside the fountain area).
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    How does this interact with the visual flying height of flying units being a client-side setting?

Basic Member
    Oh gog, did I really write that title? How do I the English writing language text?

The point is, flying height should be cosmetic only, but using extreme values shows that the engine incorrectly factors flying height into projectile calculations.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYango View Post
    How does this interact with the visual flying height of flying units being a client-side setting?
    it's a local game in which you can modify the server data.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage