Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve on communication reports

Basic Member
    It might be true that the social quality of games has improved, but the real problem is that the GAMEPLAY aspect of the game has taken a nosedive. I may admit that I might rage every now and then and deserve punishment, but being unable to call lanes, organize strategies etc etc is too problematic. I know I dont have the numbers to back it up, but I noticed that games tend to get reaaaaaaaaaaaal noobish and frustrating when there are muted players playing. I had to change my nick to claim a lane pregame. Kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by represor View Post
    retarded developers draw retarded conclusions from retarded data results.

you or the system ? an automated system can not judge patterns , an automated system counts, what does your system count ?
    stop bullshitting people ... your system failed, and it is so bad that it made you invent lies instead of apologies.
    I for one will not play dota again unless this moronic system is removed or changed ... I do not want to have muted players in my team , I don't care how much they swear to me, I want to be able, at least, to unmute them myself ... if I want to see bad words on my screen it is my own problem not yours Valve ... and it is not you to decide what is negative communication against me.
    Not a single useful contribution since signed up, but statements like this and then wondering why muted all the time:
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...182#post570182

Not needed here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Funny, I have the exact opposite experience. None of the people on my friends list are banned, and I have only run into about 3 players that have been muted in game.

Thanks for the statistics Valve. Hopefully the forum will return to actual discussion now and not people crying about how unfair their ban is (we all know this won't happen)

EDIT: ^Case in point
    Same for me and my friendlist. But don't give up the hope.

The not-ganging up on people already was kinda clear before they confirmed it. Afterall Slotz had fun with his experiment

1. Thanks to Valve for finally commenting on the system.

2. Thanks to Valve for indirectly admitting that the system is automated (..."we felt it was better to gather data on this first step before trying to complicate it with extra nuance. We’ve changed the algorithm several times already...")

3. Regarding the following,

Quote Originally Posted by Valve
    The perspective one has over what is or isn’t warranted or abusive varies by player, and that’s one of the reasons why we've tried to build a system where the community gets to own the definition of abuse, and the community’s overall decision finds its way back to the people who cross over the line.
    you can't build an automated system that relies on "the community" defining "abuse" and expect it to work. Either you, Valve, define what "abuse" is, or you get real people to review the reports. This brings me to the next point.

4. The statistics are selectively mentioned or are not necessarily clear.

a. What does it mean to have a 35% "drop in negative communication interactions"? You mean there's been 35% fewer communication abuse reports after 4/19 relative to before? (Related to d.)

b. What percentage of the active player base was ever muted?

c. How many players who didn't receive further bans after their first stopped playing after the first? Alternatively, of the 60% who "reformed," how many of them were falsely muted to begin with?

d. It's not meaningful to say that "total reports are down." You can't "account for" away the fact that the reports per week went down from 10 to 4 to 2.
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

Awesome that Valve made an official statement.

Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    1. Thanks to Valve for finally commenting on the system.

2. Thanks to Valve for indirectly admitting that the system is automated (..."we felt it was better to gather data on this first step before trying to complicate it with extra nuance. We’ve changed the algorithm several times already...")

3. Regarding the following,

you can't build an automated system that relies on "the community" defining "abuse" and expect it to work. Either you, Valve, define what "abuse" is, or you get real people to review the reports. This brings me to the next point.

4. The statistics are selectively mentioned or are not necessarily clear.

a. What does it mean to have a 35% "drop in negative communication interactions"? You mean there's been 35% fewer communication abuse reports after 4/19 relative to before? (Related to d.)

b. What percentage of the active player base was ever muted?

c. How many players who didn't receive further bans after their first stopped playing after the first? Alternatively, of the 60% who "reformed," how many of them were falsely muted to begin with?

d. It's not meaningful to say that "total reports are down." You can't "account for" away the fact that the reports per week went down from 10 to 4 to 2.
    actually you can account for that by ratios

10 > 4, means you should have 40% of the reports before if it stays constant, and then down to 2 is 50% of 40%, so 20% of the 10 reports

Easily accounted for

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    actually you can account for that by ratios

10 > 4, means you should have 40% of the reports before if it stays constant, and then down to 2 is 50% of 40%, so 20% of the 10 reports

Easily accounted for
    Don't argue with him about anything related to math. Don't do it. For your own health.

Also it doesn't really matter for the thread :P

edit: it's not surprising that the Valve statement, that they all screamed for, doesn't keep them calm, because it clearly isn't what they wanted to hear.
    Last edited by Cocofang; 05-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWilder View Post
    Now the Anti Mute system ragers will change into "We don't trust your numbers Volvo"
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoker View Post
    They really believe in these statistics?
    or they think that we are so stupid to believe in them?
    I feel sorry for valve for their ideas.
    GL dota2 community
    And so it was written, that jimmies would continue to be shaken.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by represor View Post
    retarded developers draw retarded conclusions from retarded data results.

you or the system ? an automated system can not judge patterns , an automated system counts, what does your system count ?
    stop bullshitting people ... your system failed, and it is so bad that it made you invent lies instead of apologies.
    I for one will not play dota again unless this moronic system is removed or changed ... I do not want to have muted players in my team , I don't care how much they swear to me, I want to be able, at least, to unmute them myself ... if I want to see bad words on my screen it is my own problem not yours Valve ... and it is not you to decide what is negative communication against me.
    ROFL

Basic Member
    Ahahaha! Only 30 000 people out of 3 000 000 muted. But they are really active on forums.
    Finally communication towards the community from Valve.