Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Addressing valvr's response about communication reports

Banned
    +1 really bad system needs to be removed

Basic Member
    Valve said that 1% of player base is muted.

If it is necessary for them to be muted to avoid the trashtalking so other players can enjoy the game then I applaud their system.

I can't believe this guy just complains about Valve all day, every day on the forums. I think you need to find a new hobby, buddy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PostwarPenance View Post
    I can't believe this guy just complains about Valve all day, every day on the forums. I think you need to find a new hobby, buddy.
    No he is right that system is to easily exploitable. To prove it why don't you tell me your in game name and I'll use a few of my 30 something invites to make accounts and get you chat muted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedone View Post
    No he is right that system is to easily exploitable. To prove it why don't you tell me your in game name and I'll use a few of my 30 something invites to make accounts and get you chat muted.
    I said nothing about exploitation. Only making a comment about how this guy spends all of his time complaining about a game he obviously doesn't enjoy. Valve made a statement today that everything is working as intended, and the system is constantly being tweaked to create the best possible player experience. Therefore, I don't see the need for him, or you, or anyone, to spew the same complaints out over and over, and over, and over, and over again.

It saddens me that you're the type or person who would threaten something like that. You're making a real strong ambassador for the 1% of players who are currently muted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PostwarPenance View Post
    I said nothing about exploitation. Only making a comment about how this guy spends all of his time complaining about a game he obviously doesn't enjoy. Valve made a statement today that everything is working as intended, and the system is constantly being tweaked to create the best possible player experience. Therefore, I don't see the need for him, or you, or anyone, to spew the same complaints out over and over, and over, and over, and over again.

It saddens me that you're the type or person who would threaten something like that. You're making a real strong ambassador for the 1% of players who are currently muted.
    LOL ahh the simple mindedness of people who comment on the forums. That is what these forums are for, to point out bugs, exploits and things of that nature. Who are you to assume because he makes a valid complaint about a obviously flawed and exploitable system equate to him not liking or enjoying the game? I've been playing close to 10 years and I have posting the same thing as the OP on this topic, so by your flawed logic I guess that means I don't enjoy the game either? I can tell you that is the furthest from the truth I love dota, just hate that Icefrog went to Valve with it and are letting them run the game into the ground.

Think before you speak and remember the first 3 letters of assume are ass which is exactly what you comment makes you look like.
    Last edited by Dedone; 05-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Basic Member
    A few statistics:

Since the ban system has been implemented, there’s been a 35% drop in negative communication interactions.
    Less than the 1% of the active player base (players who have played Dota 2 in the last month) are currently banned.
    60% of players who receive bans go on to modify their behavior and don’t receive further bans.
    Total reports are down more than 30%, even after accounting for the reduction in the number permitted per week.
    I doubt that those numbers are faked. Valve is a big company and faking numbers will only backfire.

I recommend you to read their blog again. Ofc it doesn't work perfectly from the start but the results are promising.
    Bear in mind 1% of active player base are currently muted. This might have been higher in the past due to false muting but we are in the present. And it seems it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    I doubt that those numbers are faked. Valve is a big company and faking numbers will only backfire.

I recommend you to read their blog again. Ofc it doesn't work perfectly from the start but the results are promising.
    Bear in mind 1% of active player base are currently muted. This might have been higher in the past due to false muting but we are in the present. And it seems it is working.
    Im not saying they are fake, Im saying a lot of those are impossible to measure accurately

Lets assume they have a system in place that detects abuse even if its not reported (Given they say new players dont know they can mute, and reporting takes more clicks than reporting and is on the same window)
    Why is people harassed? they are harassed when they SCREW UP and when they play really bad

So a player quits after ending up 0 kills 23 deaths 1 assist...
    Did he quit because he was harassed? Or because he found the game too hard and frustrating for him to try and learn?

35% drop in negative communication interactions.
    How do you measure that?

do you think they do it manually? how many games would they have to review to have a good demographic idea of the entire DotA community?

And even if they did it manually (Which is statistically illogical) How do they decide if the player quit playing for the harass or for the steep learning curve? what if they got frustrated at DYING and being useless? (even if you win you can be a loser that nearly ruined the game due to sucking) besides, how fun can it be to play against a player with 50 times your experience? Im sure noobs love to be stomped

60% of players who receive bans go on to modify their behavior and donít receive further bans.

Read the forums please, they LEARN to dodge the system they harass in other ways and wait to do it from Wednesday on when people have no more reports

And Im NOT complaining about the game, I love DotA, and DotA 2 is adding a lot of good things to it,I post here my opinions and thoughts about the things I think could be improved to try and make a better game for all, if that bothers or offends you: thats your problem, not mine
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

Basic Member
    So putting people with 10 games in games with people of 1000 + games is a good and wise idea ! If you make your match making better i doubt there would be so much hate .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SabotaZ View Post
    the actual reasons why people leave this game are
    - almost 3 years in "beta"
    - bad matchmaking
    - unable to get over that 50% winrate (had 8 wins one after the other cause i was playing with a stack of friends. I did not play a single game for 3 days cause i was sure i would get cancer. after all i decided to press that find match. 7 loses, 2 wins...)
    - mute system

there is a great gap between "ideal" and "broken" and the mute system is broken as hell at the moment. you are saying:

"We don’t want to restrict anyone’s speech nor prevent anyone from speaking their mind" but thats a freaking lie. If you really did not want all these things, you would not keep the mute system automatic and let it being abused by 15 yo kids but you would have some people in there to check these reports and actually punish the guys who rage report. I dont care if some random guy calls me retard during a game. I do care if i get muted and cant communicate with the rest of my team.

"If you are currently communication banned, any communication reports you receive in that time period do not contribute towards, nor result in additional bans." thats a lie too. Reports do stack up even when you are already muted. You can check one of the many threads in misc section saying that.

"Ignoring the side problems around some players not knowing about muting, and that the damage is often done before you know you should mute someone else, the real problem with the muting approach is that it doesn’t provide strong feedback to the speaker. " So you are saying people can find how to report someone but they dont know how to mute him. You do remember that these 2 options are one click away, right? I mean you designed it like this. You open the player table (default button is \) and you either hit the speaker next to the name or you click on the name and "report player". Second thing is, with that statement you are clearly more interested on punishing the bad users other than protecting the good ones. Now i see why people rage report. Its because you are giving them a hand to express all the psychological problems they might have. Home, school, job. No matter what, we will have to face the bitterness they have, into our games.
    Im not the only one who somehow cant get over that fucken 50% win rate?
    Win > win > win > lose because of one faggoty team member > muted.

I dont give a fuck, Valve is making more people hate the game than bringing people in.