Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Addressing valvr's response about communication reports

Addressing valve's response about communication reports

http://blog.dota2.com/2013/05/communication-reports/ All quotes and comments are from this

Quote Originally Posted by Valve View Post
    it seemed in the best interest of the Dota community to not push away players who actually enjoyed the game. As a consequence, this meant restricting the ability for some members of the community to say whatever they want
    What you are doing here is alienating your loyal players and fanbase in the hopes of making the game for more wide audiences, its what deadspace 3 abandoning the terror/survival theme to turn in to an action shooter

some players not knowing about muting
    Muting takes 2 clicks
    Reporting takes 4 clicks, one comment, and is on the same screen as mute
    If this does anything for players to feel better about flaming is because of the REVENGE they can get, you are deterring 1 toxic behaviour by encouraging other

the mute it doesn’t provide strong feedback to the speaker
    Nor does this system, we cant tell for what game or actions we were banned, and even if we were told, the replays have their logs private so we cant prove when we did nothing wrong

and the percentage of players being reported for communication bans is dropping over time.
    I hate to be sarcastic in a serious post but....really? nowdays few people report for anything else, as they know that might actually bring punishment over people even if they did other than communication abuse

we’ve tried to build a system where the community gets to own the definition of abuse
    The idea is awesome, however the way you did it is not, the problem with that is that what IS abuse for a part of the community, ISNT, for the rest, people report others for playful taunting (Something you by the way ENCOURAGE with items that do it graphically) We cant say "Congratulations :3 you got the rege rune instead of me....was it worth dying? >:3!" bcause thats instareport, and if he convinces 2 other people its instaban

Wanna leave it to the community? Make Volunteer mod program, give items to the volunteers and give them a defined set of rules for applying punishment or not (One that we, the players can read, so that we KNOW what is acceptable or not...I cant follow rules of behaviour if I dont know what is expected of me, and that is impossible when my punishment is on the hands of different people with different opinions or tolerance

Overall:
    I gotta say WOW, I didnt expect a reply from valve like this, so thumbs up for that one valve, good job and I appreciate it.

- However I think you guys not yet realize that the system can and is abused...can we prove it? No because the system gives us no feedback about the reason of the ban, and even if it did we cant post or debate because the logs are private
    - Another good way of preventing experienced players from making new ones quit is DONT put them together, make a ladder system, this will reduce the rage of the experienced players and the frustration of the new ones (or ...both actually o.0!)
    - A community managed by its own players, handling its own punishments? AWESOME!...With no set of rules and leaving it up for each player to decide if the other guy deserves a ban?...not so much
    - Its good you are trying to increase the player base, but there's a very thin line between that, and destroying what DotA is as a game, DotA is a competitive game with a dense atmosphere and difficult to master (unlike LoL), and with no ladder, auto mute system, and private stats, you seem to be trying to turn it in to a CASUAL game, to aim to a broader audience, at the risk of alienating your old player fanbase

Where does my opinion come from
    This might not matter, but I just want to clarify that im no casual player that has been in dota for 1 or 2 years, I have been playing dota for more than 10 years, ever since the version 1.20, with naix's ult being magic invulnerability making him huge, naga 6 arrows 100% damage, faceless with map wide chronostop, I saw pendragon destroy his work in DotA-allstars.com for an argument with icefrog and the subsequent releae of LoL...I have seen a lot of good and bad things in DotA, and I can tell you that personally, this has been the worst. (only thing even close to this is when they removed techies and put him on the -fun- mode only X)...glad they reverted that tho) hope you guys fix this system too, my personal opinion is that the only way to fix the REPORTS is either to remove AUTOMATIC ban, and/or replace it for a MOD or TRIBUNAL based system, where REAL offenders breaking actual rules, are punished, and only them.

I'm NOT against the mute system, I support the idea of muting abusive players, but only if done correctly, reviewed by a human being to prevent abuses, and with a clear set of rules we can follow
    Last edited by Shmendrich; 05-28-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

Basic Member
    I want to flame for free whenever I want. If you don't want new players leave game because I hurt their feelings, don't put them on my player pool.
    I am sick of players ruining my joy already.
    With mute, you prevent me to decharge with calling people what they are.
    I wanna yell at them, I wanna make them realize they suck.
    On most situations, I control my anger, I try to tell people what to do nicely.
    When I see they are arrogant and throwing game with trolling etc, I am naturally raging.
    Wtf is wrong with that? Just because I tell my opinions, I am getting muted?
    On most situations, telling target to kill, when to initiate, ask them "wait" etc. is not possible with scroll chat command thing (another bullshit)
    Anyway, I just realized that I type something that noone cares (including volvo) so I will just stop giving fuck.
    Play with this retarded mm system and quit game myself one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmendrich View Post
    That huge wall of text with aggressive colors and a largely condescending tone? This is what it would be if you were muted.

Regardless of how pissed you are at the system, this is what the majority of the community wants. Muted players are the minority here, they're less than 1%. Want to quit DotA 2 because of how stupid the mute system is? We can still do fine with the 99% others.

Remember that Valve aren't the ones reporting ragers - other players are. Other members of the DotA 2 community that really hate their attitude. And it probably takes up to 10 people in multiple matches just to get 1 player muted which is a lot of people when you think about it.
    Last edited by Bleako; 05-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleako View Post
    That huge wall of text with aggressive colors and a largely condescending tone? This is what it would be if you were muted.

Regardless of how pissed you are at the system, this is what the majority of the community wants. Muted players are the minority here, they're less than 1%. Want to quit DotA 2 because of how stupid the mute system is? We can still do fine with the 99% others.

Remember that Valve aren't the ones reporting ragers - other players are. Other members of the DotA 2 community that really hate their attitude. And it probably takes up to 10 people in multiple matches just to get 1 player muted which is a lot of people when you think about it.
    The amount of Kool-aid you are ingesting is disgusting. You're gonna get diabetes if you continue this way...

Basic Member
    Everyone is angel, everyone is innocent and noone rages.
    Repeat after me:
    "YOLO, this is just a game!"
    (bullshit.)

Regardless of how pissed you are at the system, this is what the majority of the community wants.
    Again the flawed logic of "They dont vote, and dont come to express their opinion hence they are on my side)
    Only 1% of the players were muted when valve wrote that? Yup I believe that, I'm not currently muted nor is a lot of the people that are expressing their disapproval of the mute system,
    A lot of people havent been muted yet? Yup I believe that too, that doesnt means they support the system or think it works properly

Facts?:
    > 1% of the players were muted at the time valve made that statement (Doesnt means only 1% has ever been banned, and also you gotta consider a LOT of the players have multiple accounts)
    > Most of the people in the forum think the system is flawed in one way or another (85+%)
    > We dont know what the rest of the people thinks about the mute system

I'd also have to ask, if the reports have really reduced (People has become more civil in 2 weeks and decided not to report even when now there IS an AUTOMATED punishment) why would there be a need of having only 2 reports? if people are reporting less then we could have 4 again...anyway they say we arent using our 2 ~
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

Basic Member

I would like to see that actually Data on that fact because every single game I play atleast 3-4 + people are muted. if 4/10 is the "1%" then.. I need to go back to primary school maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonellia View Post
    I want to flame for free whenever I want. If you don't want new players leave game because I hurt their feelings, don't put them on my player pool.
    I am sick of players ruining my joy already.
    With mute, you prevent me to decharge with calling people what they are.
    I wanna yell at them, I wanna make them realize they suck.
    On most situations, I control my anger, I try to tell people what to do nicely.
    When I see they are arrogant and throwing game with trolling etc, I am naturally raging.
    Wtf is wrong with that? Just because I tell my opinions, I am getting muted?
    On most situations, telling target to kill, when to initiate, ask them "wait" etc. is not possible with scroll chat command thing (another bullshit)
    Anyway, I just realized that I type something that noone cares (including volvo) so I will just stop giving fuck.
    Play with this retarded mm system and quit game myself one day.
    http://www.twitch.tv/sing_sing/b/319005512

Understand yet?

the actual reasons why people leave this game are
    - almost 3 years in "beta"
    - bad matchmaking
    - unable to get over that 50% winrate (had 8 wins one after the other cause i was playing with a stack of friends. I did not play a single game for 3 days cause i was sure i would get cancer. after all i decided to press that find match. 7 loses, 2 wins...)
    - mute system

there is a great gap between "ideal" and "broken" and the mute system is broken as hell at the moment. you are saying:

"We don’t want to restrict anyone’s speech nor prevent anyone from speaking their mind" but thats a freaking lie. If you really did not want all these things, you would not keep the mute system automatic and let it being abused by 15 yo kids but you would have some people in there to check these reports and actually punish the guys who rage report. I dont care if some random guy calls me retard during a game. I do care if i get muted and cant communicate with the rest of my team.

"If you are currently communication banned, any communication reports you receive in that time period do not contribute towards, nor result in additional bans." thats a lie too. Reports do stack up even when you are already muted. You can check one of the many threads in misc section saying that.

"Ignoring the side problems around some players not knowing about muting, and that the damage is often done before you know you should mute someone else, the real problem with the muting approach is that it doesn’t provide strong feedback to the speaker. " So you are saying people can find how to report someone but they dont know how to mute him. You do remember that these 2 options are one click away, right? I mean you designed it like this. You open the player table (default button is \) and you either hit the speaker next to the name or you click on the name and "report player". Second thing is, with that statement you are clearly more interested on punishing the bad users other than protecting the good ones. Now i see why people rage report. Its because you are giving them a hand to express all the psychological problems they might have. Home, school, job. No matter what, we will have to face the bitterness they have, into our games.

i like the raging 13 year olds let them stay