Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is there even a point in making these threads?

Basic Member
    I hope they'd just release some kind of mod kit so we can add and edit bot AI ourselves or something. That way their dev team can focus on other things while the community can submit their versions of bots. Some of us play exclusively with/against bots, and would really like to see this aspect developed more. I'm sure we all have our opinions on how bots should build, etc., like why on earth does Traxex bot build two Wraith Bands instead of going for the Ring of Aquila?

And some bots seem like they could be implemented easily based on other existing bots, like Clinkz based on Drow Ranger/Bounty Hunter.

I'm just saying, if we had a means of fixing up the bots ourselves...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H.T. View Post
    I hope they'd just release some kind of mod kit so we can add and edit bot AI ourselves or something. That way their dev team can focus on other things while the community can submit their versions of bots. Some of us play exclusively with/against bots, and would really like to see this aspect developed more. I'm sure we all have our opinions on how bots should build, etc., like why on earth does Traxex bot build two Wraith Bands instead of going for the Ring of Aquila?

And some bots seem like they could be implemented easily based on other existing bots, like Clinkz based on Drow Ranger/Bounty Hunter.

I'm just saying, if we had a means of fixing up the bots ourselves...
    You can edit a bots item/skill build and his laning/picking/role preferences actually. It used to be quite a hot thing actually (you'll want to skip to page 3+'ish), but there was very little we could get out of ChrisC even though we had entire bots configured for optimal performance ready for copy/pasting. Like all we managed to get out of him was adjusting the boots choices for some heroes (not even all, Zeus and CM still have terrible boot choices) and a minor skill build change for CM and Necrolyte.

Since there's various out-of-date guides in that thread and I can't be bothered to find the other thread where I posted an up-to-date guide, I'll just post write one again:

1) Download and install GCFScape
    2) Navigate to your dota 2/dota folder, open pak001_dir.vpk
    3) Extract npc_heroes.txt from root/scripts/npc/
    4) Open npc_heroes.txt, edit the bot builds to your liking
    5) Put the npc_heroes.txt file in the dota 2/dota/scripts/npc/ folder
    6) Go to Steam -> Dota 2 -> Properties -> Set launch options -> add "-console -override_vpk" (no quotes)
    7) Start dota 2, then either start a practice vs bots match solo, or alternatively open the console (default key ~) and issue the following commands:
    map dota
    jointeam good/bad/spec (radiant/dire/spectator)
    dota_bot_populate

In case you joined spectator, also issue the following command to prevent it from auto-ending the game: dota_surrender_on_disconnect 0
    Mind you, the npc_heroes.txt file is updated weekly. You may get some weird errors like naked heroes or not being able to pick a newly added hero if you don't update it weekly. I've actually written an update tool for it but sadly my old PC's motherboard exploded so it's I can't get it easily until I get replacement.

If Valve actually shows any interest in it, I'm sure loads of people will start again, myself included. Or heck, just any update to the bots at all would be great, if a new hero is added I'm sure some threads will pop up of people discussing optimal item/skill build for the new bot.

Basic Member
    Oh that's good to know. I'll give it a try. But it's still sad to know that even that isn't able to add new bots to the game. Could be awesome to see Bristleback, Rooftrellen, Magnus or Pugna as bots.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    Mind you, the npc_heroes.txt file is updated weekly. You may get some weird errors like naked heroes or not being able to pick a newly added hero if you don't update it weekly. I've actually written an update tool for it but sadly my old PC's motherboard exploded so it's I can't get it easily until I get replacement.
    You just gave me an incentive to re-learn some programming.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karyoplasma View Post
    You just gave me an incentive to re-learn some programming.
    My original plan was to make a fully fledged bot editor tool, but I'm not that amazing at GUI's (yet) and in the end just working with Notepad++ was faster. Regardless, the automatic update is a god send, honestly. I'll gladly upload it once I get access to my old PC again.

Basic Member
    I sat my ass down to write some lines, but it doesn't quite want to work. The game won't load my npc_heroes.txt. Optically, everything looks fine but I get a whole bunch of KeyValue errors. My console looks like this after start-up:
    Code:
    KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { for key ITEM_EXTENSION in file scripts/npc/npc_heroes.txt
    (*5*), (*SlotText*), (*Bot*), (*LaningInfo*), (*RequiresSetup*), (*shadow_demon_ambient*), (*5*), 
    KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { for key ITEM_DERIVED in file scripts/npc/npc_heroes.txt
    (*5*), (*SlotText*), (*Bot*), (*LaningInfo*), (*RequiresSetup*), (*shadow_demon_ambient*), (*5*), 
    KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { for key ITEM_EXTENSION in file scripts/npc/npc_heroes.txt
    KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { for key ITEM_DERIVED in file scripts/npc/npc_heroes.txt
    KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { for key HeroType in file scripts/npc/npc_heroes.txt
    (*Build*), (*25*), (*Bot*), (*LaningInfo*), (*RequiresSetup*), (*shadow_demon_ambient*), (*5*), 
    KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { for key } in file scripts/npc/npc_heroes.txt
    (*LaningInfo*), (*RequiresSetup*), (*Bot*), (*LaningInfo*), (*RequiresSetup*), (*shadow_demon_ambient*), (*5*),
    At first, I thought it was really a missing bracket somewhere, because I basically just copied the "Bot" section in the old file and overwritten that in the new one, so to rule that out, my tool is now copying the information between the brackets and pasting this stuff into the new file. It doesn't even touch the layout or the bracketing, but to no avail. Shit gets me mad. I have no clue why it doesn't work...

Basic Member
    Not sure about that bug, but it could be a typo, missing bracket or quotation mark somewhere further up the file. Try double checking the section you edited.

Also thanks for all the info, Arxos. I just found out that you can indeed make new bots using this technique. D: I just added a bunch of new bots with generic builds like Axe and Bloodseeker, among many others. And of course I fixed up the builds to suit my liking.

So to get this straight, if I host a private match with bots to play with friends, these new bots and edits to bot builds will be work as well, right?

Not sure about that bug, but it could be a typo, missing bracket or quotation mark somewhere further up the file. Try double checking the section you edited.

Also thanks for all the info, Arxos. I just found out that you can indeed make new bots using this technique. D: I just added a bunch of new bots with generic builds like Axe and Bloodseeker, among many others. And of course I fixed up the builds to suit my liking.

So to get this straight, if I host a private match with bots to play with friends, these new bots and edits to bot builds will be work as well, right?
    Were the new bots such as Axe and Bloodseeker able to use their abilities? When I tried adding them, they didn't seem to be able to use their abilities.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassadarmaster View Post
    Were the new bots such as Axe and Bloodseeker able to use their abilities? When I tried adding them, they didn't seem to be able to use their abilities.
    You can only refine the item loadout, skillbuilds, roles and laning choices for existing bots. If you just add other bots to the implemented list, the AI will pick them, but they only have the basic logic then, which means they will lasthit, deny, retreat, trying to gank, etc. but they are not be able to use their skills.

No, matches with more people than you as players don't run on your computer but on a server, so there is currently no way to play with the edited bots with friends.
    Last edited by Karyoplasma; 06-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Basic Member
    You can play with your edited bots with friends actually, but the process is rather tedious.

Just follow this guide: https://github.com/Matheus28/SourceM...a-local-server
    Now, in order for your server to use your edited bots however, if I'm not mistaken you actually have to unpack all your VPK files. You can try the standard technique of just putting npc_heroes.txt in dota/scripts/npc/ folder of the server and then running the server with -override_vpk, but if I recall correctly this didn't work, you had to unpack all the VPK files and put the contents of them in the dota folder, replacing the vpk's npc_heroes.txt with your own, and then delete the vpk's (just the pak01 vpk's, the sound vpk's don't need to be unpacked). It's rather tedious to do this process every time there's an update (though it won't be necessary to update your server all the time, as is in the guide)