Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: to anyone who belives he was muted for no reason

  1. #11
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    194
    It's more likely that about 10-20% of the active community is currently muted, at least in the normal brackets. This is evidenced by a large number of games I've played where players on my team communicate only with the chat wheel and pings, or where the enemy team have had "muted" in one of their players' nicks. I'm guessing that close to 1/3 of the active playerbase has been muted for 24 hours or more at some point. Valve's statistics don't add up with observation, and should simply be discarded as public relations' repair.

    If you didn't play on the "launch day" of the muting system, the likelyhood of you having been muted is significantly lower than if you did. On "launch day", everyone could report everyone. And if you were muted? Then you reported everybody else, on both teams. Because you experiencd the horror of realizing you had been punished, but not told that you were punished (as you are in LPQ). So the people who claim not to have been muted must either have been absent on launch day, or play almost entirely in stacks (or both).

    Statistically, everyone in our community has an extremely high chance of getting muted *at some point*. This is because of how probability works. All of the universe is based on probability -- this is proven by quantum mechanics and statistical thermodynamics, for which there is ample evidence. If the chance of an event is a number larger than zero, then as time progresses, your likelyhood of never having been muted is going to decrease. Simultaneously, because it appears that the "system" has a lower threshold for previously muted players than it does for those who are not, it seems likely that we will experience a "mute bubble" in a month or two -- where a *significantly larger* percentage of the active community is muted at a single time (plus the cumulative nature of the mute creates more active playing muted players than a non-cumulative one would).

    I expect that once this bubble bursts, Valve will significantly "nerf" the muting system. It's just too bad that this has to happen before they see the error of their ways.

    As for efficacy?

    I've trained a number of new players, I give helpful advice to teammates (and for this, I've gotten a fairly large number of commends -- I estimate that for every person who reports me while I'm not muted, there is between one and three that commend me). If I am to be doomed to play in this bracket where I am the best player on my team 50-70% of the time, and I can't give constructive criticism to teammates without being muted for a week, what possible reason do I have to play like anything but a troll? Frankly I'm losing my incentive to behave well at all. At least as a troll, I could laugh the entire game, rather than be frustrated with my teammates' simple-to-fix mistakes, unable to change the losing course of my game because an Italian didn't like the tone of my voice, or that I talked to someone on microphone to coordinate a gank (a large number of players dislike it when people use the in-game voice command, even though there is a mute button for it).

    I'm a competitive person. Instead of trolling or annoying my teammates with the chat-wheel, I'd much rather be trying to win, and I'd like Valve's system to be an *addition* to the gameplay rather than a direct subtraction.

  2. #12
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth, unfortunately
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Jew View Post
    ...i should write this to clearify things a bit....
    You're not "clearifying" anything as you're only presenting your opinion. And from what i read, it's not really a clear one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Jew View Post
    ...furthermore, these trolls would most likly report you for feeding, which is punished by LPQ and not mute...
    Really, if you "clearifyied" that, i know now for a fact that they "most likly" report for feeding not for com abuse. Because you say so...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Jew View Post
    ...if you are punished, there is always a good reason for it....
    Same goes for "i beat the crap out of you, there's clearly some good reason for it". Probably got bullied in school and still didn't got over it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Jew View Post
    ....please stop complaining about the mute system. there are far worse problems needs our focus
    Well, sorry, here's a forum about game development. For far worse problems please go here The Red Cross and help everyone you feel like. I myself will stay here and discuss about this game problem.
    Last edited by thefbiman; 06-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.

  3. #13
    Basic Member nadaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,341
    Thinking of reporting you for the reason of starting this thread which is by your logic is good of reason as any, sooo can we see your account to... check your uhm.. last 5 matches ?

  4. #14
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    194
    You sadly can't report people unless you're in game with them.

  5. #15
    Basic Member Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    i am afraid you are mixing up things (which is understandable).
    the report system got changed/reworked/adapted/improved/scaled many times. the manual validation step might not be the current state anymore as it was stated about a year ago.


    i share your general notion though. in dota close to everybody deserves a penalty for bad manners if you look at the right games. almost every dota player has a huge tendency to be rude, mean, aggressive, arrogant, etc. that simply comes with the game.
    what buffles me is that just currently 1% (or let's assume the 15% alltime are correct) are affected with a mute penalty. i would find something close to 50% alltime or even more much more realistic.
    so how come so few people are being muted? it appears that valve is taking the safe road and only mutes heavy, repeated and clear offenders.
    The 1% statistic is the percentage of the full 3.5 million accounts that showed any sign of actitivity in the last month that are chat banned at any one time. The majority of those will have had very few games in the last month and are very unlikely to have been chat banned. The most active accounts are the ones that you're most likely to be matched with if you're and active player and are also the accounts that are the most likely to be chat banned.
    To avoid LPQ:

    Don't draw attention to yourself
    Don't use voice or chat except for 'ss'
    Mute all at lvl 1
    Only play in parties
    Get alternate accounts
    Limit your usage to one or two games per day per account
    Don't play too well
    Don't play on Sunday or Monday
    Wait until the developers reset LPQ status

    If you're getting matched with trolls or feeders:

    You may have been placed in a hidden pool. There is no known way out of this, apart from moving to a different account.

  6. #16
    Basic Member Automedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The 1% statistic is the percentage of the full 3.5 million accounts that showed any sign of actitivity in the last month that are chat banned at any one time. The majority of those will have had very few games in the last month and are very unlikely to have been chat banned. The most active accounts are the ones that you're most likely to be matched with if you're and active player and are also the accounts that are the most likely to be chat banned.
    Okay, let's try something really crazy: Let's just assume for a moment that Valve is not dumb enough to mute someone due to a sheer number of reports, but rather uses a reports vs games played ratio. It took me roughly 20 seconds to figure that out so I doubt Valve hasn't thought of that.

    Besides that, you all seem to think Dota 2 crawls with smurf chars who fuck up the statistics. Okay, let's do some math. Let's assume 50% of the community is just more or less idling smurfs, so the actual muted percentage is 2%.
    50% isn't enough? Ok, let's make that 75% -> 4% muted.
    Still not enough? Ok, 88% are smurfs -> 8% muted. And that doesn't even take into consideration that Valve said the muted percentage was less than 1%.

    So even if just 12% of the community are actually active (which is a ridiculously low number) you still don't even have 1 out of 10 players muted. There's really no reason to inflate the helpless anger of a banned minority to the huge, gamebreaking issue it appears to be according to this forum.

    As blash said:

    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    so how come so few people are being muted? it appears that valve is taking the safe road and only mutes heavy, repeated and clear offenders.

  7. #17
    Basic Member erik-the-red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Automedic View Post
    There's really no reason to inflate the helpless anger of a banned minority to the huge, gamebreaking issue it appears to be according to this forum.
    Do you find it at all surprising that 2 reports per player per week => very few players muted?
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.



    merci fenix

  8. #18
    Basic Member Automedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    Do you find it at all surprising that 2 reports per player per week => very few players muted?
    So what was your point again?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    208
    My point is that OP is seriously off in some of his basic understanding of how things work and this is basically a troll thread aka a distraction to any sort of discussion moving forward. Read OP's post again, then let it go.

  10. #20
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    11,187
    Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    Do you find it at all surprising that 2 reports per player per week => very few players muted?
    as already stated in a different thread (which you were active in). the number of reports doesnt have any correlation with muted players if there is a proper report threshold in place.

    if you rank players from disruptive to non-disruptive the report distribution of the whole community on them will be similar to a gauss curve.
    disruptive people will have a lot of reports, non-disruptive close to none.

    if you increase the number of reports, the absolute values of that curve will increase, but the relative distribution will not.
    what a proper report threshold does is to select the most reported part of that curve (the disruptive players).
    this system works the same way with 1, 2, 4 and a thousand reports per person.

    the only difference is that 2 reports per person allows valve to manually check some cases if they see fit alot more time efficient than if there were 10 reports per person (you know, because they have to read less reports).
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

    Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •