Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Could someone please give me a serious argument for the mute system?

Basic Member
    One of those quotes is actually something I said and that he was quoting, fyi.

Edit: Erik, your last post was a pretty good one! I disagree with a lot of points, but your example of the tribunal system being the kind of system you're advocating and being successful was an especially good and well supported point. I'd love to engage it, but I don't know when I'll have the time again or if I'll have stumbled onto something else that's draws my attention until then. I have a feeling this thread will be lost to time before I can get back to it anyway, so let's just say that I'm giving you last word on topic and call it quits for now.
    Last edited by daretoslack; 06-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daretoslack View Post

Edit: Erik, your last post was a pretty good one! I disagree with a lot of points, but your example of the tribunal system being the kind of system you're advocating and being successful was an especially good and well supported point. I'd love to engage it, but I don't know when I'll have the time again or if I'll have stumbled onto something else that's draws my attention until then. I have a feeling this thread will be lost to time before I can get back to it anyway, so let's just say that I'm giving you last word on topic and call it quits for now.
    Which one?
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Just to clarify, there was never any "win rate" calculation. Ever. It is true that a goal of matchmaking is to make even teams. The matchmaker also will raise your Elo and try to put you in players of equivalent skill, which indirectly tries to get the win rate to 50%. However, it has never looked at your historical win rate and put you in a game where it knew that you were expected to lose.
    Is every post on this forum about the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Which one?
    This one:
    See, this makes me think you have no idea what we're talking about again.

Basic Member
    if you are allowed to unmute a player who is banned from communicating, it defeats the purpose of punishment for the guy being rude or an asshole. the whole purpose is to make the person know how it feels like to be muted and unable to communicate and if he still wants to continue to be rude after the ban, he will keep getting banned and not be able to talk to allies other than chat wheel. i have a friend who was muted and was unable to chat, this made him change his attitude and the way he talk when he play after the ban finished. in whole if you dont want to get muted, watch what u type.

Quote Originally Posted by Mvstery View Post
    Valve already explained about the mute system on their main website Dota2.com if you haven't read it already I suggest you should right now.
    valve also admitted that innocent players get muted and basically said 'its a work in progress' and 'its for the greater good' in that blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Meiun View Post
    valve also admitted that innocent players get muted and basically said 'its a work in progress' and 'its for the greater good' in that blog.
    There will always be "innocent" victims of the system.No matter how good will be the system there will always be.Most of those "victims" deserve their chat ban (more or less, but they do).What Valve should work is reducing the number of abuses, but nothing more.I'd even suggest a low prio for those who get repeated chat bans (I mean ok, you get banned once because you were in a team with a stack of retards that all reported you and finally gpt chat banned, it happens twice, bad luck, it happens 3 times; wait a second dude you are really a douche -> low prio)

Banned
    the chat ban is flat out retarded in a game like this, no1 deserves it.

i just played a game where we had a lion mid, he ended up failing completely with 1/15/3, everyone reported him for laughs and directly after the game i received a prompt "We have recently ... Thank you for ... ".

for what?

for lols.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    LOL. Care to take a look in the mirror erik?

Take a look at these comments, all made by you in this here thread here:
    First, you basically did what I have suggested should be changed to the automated mute system, if we just gotta have it: tell players in which games they were reported and for what reasons (given by the players who reported them). With that said, let me go through your list one by one:

1. Yes, that's aggressive. That was also typed in response to "That is the hidden danger of having any idea what the fuck you're talking about" (daretoslack).

The only thing you can say here is that I shouldn't flame back at flames, and that having the whole chat log a la Tribunal is better than having out-of-context quotes.

2. Yes, that's aggressive.

3. Sarcastic, but not aggressive.

4. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

5. Rude, but not aggressive.

6. Sarcastic, but not aggressive.

7. Rude, but not aggressive. You also ignored how daretoslack called me out on using an ad hominem but nevertheless said he appreciated the way I used the fallacy.

8. Rude and aggressive.

9. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

10. I don't see how this is offensive at all. It's WRONG, but it's not offensive. Or sarcastic. Or rude. Just wrong.

11. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

12. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

13. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

14. A bit rude, but not aggressive.

15. I can see how this could be construed as offensive, but if I were told that, I would not consider it offensive.

16. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

17. Rude and aggressive.

18. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

19. A bit snarky and rude but not aggressive.

20. Snarky, but you took it out of context. My main point was that just because you don't need something doesn't mean it's not beneficial.

21. Snarky because I put quotation marks around argument but otherwise not aggressive.

22. I can see how someone would disagree if I said that, but I cannot see him being OFFENDED, no.

23. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

24. It's a question. Are you offended by my asking it? I'm not.

25. Rude but not aggressive.

26. Rude and aggressive.

27. As in 22, someone would most likely disagree but not be offended.

28. You took this out of context. My point was that anyone who says there is no Nobel in Economics is completely correct but is hammering in on something that isn't a "takeaway."

29. As daretoslack said, those were his words.

30. Same as 22 and 27.

31. I don't see how this is offensive at all. It's not even as strong as 22, 27, and 30.

32. I don't see how this is offensive at all.

Now erik, just ask yourself this: If some other guy was talking to you this way, would you think that was ok?
    Considering that other people here DO talk to me that way, of course. Thanks for going through my comments and picking the ones you found offensive. I think it further illustrates why I would like players to know in which games they were reported for what reasons. At least nine of the things you quoted ARE NOT OFFENSIVE AT ALL.
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

He is so oblivious of his negativity he doesn't even know right from wrong. In his world he doesn't know the difference.

More proof the system works because he is so butt hurt he can't give up a losing battle.
    Pro MUTE System
    • If you complain about it, you're one of the people who have taken swift punishment from it. Proving it works.
    • If you keep arguing against it, you're a repeat offender, proving it works again.
    • ONLY REPEAT OFFENDERS continue to fight it.
    • Thank you Valve! Finally a system that shuts bad attitudes, big egos and ignorance down like a bad habit.

Do you disagree? Please let me know why HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by daretoslack View Post

Look, thanks for correcting me. I think I did a very poor job of explaining what it was that I disagreed with. Telling students "no, that is not my favorite number" repeatedly until they get it right "works"; I just wouldn't say that it works well because I think telling them "too high / too low" will allow them to get it right FASTER. That's all, really.
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix