Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Could someone please give me a serious argument for the mute system?

Basic Member

Could someone please give me a serious argument for the mute system?

Okay guys, I'm looking for a serious argument in favor of the mute system, because I just don't understand. At the very least, why would valve not have an option for players to unmute the muted players? Like, they are defaultly muted but you can unmute if you wish. You can already mute people if they are bothering you with one click. So I just dont understand why there has to be a system that mutes people without an option for the player's team to unmute them. This isn't coming from a whiny kid who's mad about being muted, I am legitimately trying to understand. I'm a bit sick of having 2 or 3 people on my team who can't communicate aside from chat wheel.

Basic Member
    Valve already explained about the mute system on their main website Dota2.com if you haven't read it already I suggest you should right now. Simply put, the mute system is shown statistically helping the game and improve the Dota2 community. The mute system has been improved and the mute ban rate has droped alot. currently only 1 percent of the players are muted. really if you just play the game and be friendly the mute system isn't a problem at all. The trolls who post complain all deserve to be muted and I have never been muted ever. So I can prove the mute system is good.

Basic Member
    I did read it, and I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that 1% of the player base is muted. There is no way. In every game I play there is at the very least 1 person with a [muted] tag in their name and probably others who didnt bother to change their name. Your logic is downright hilarious. "I have never been muted, so the mute system must work well" is like saying "I have never had AIDS, so it must not be a problem". I still don't see why I shouldnt have an option to unmute muted players so I dont have to lose a game because half my team can't communicate.

Banned
    Valve's response *is* in fact a reasonable argument for the mute system. Whether or not you agree with it is a different story entirely.

Basic Member
    We must have different definitions of reasonable. But my main problem with the system is that there is no option of unmuting teammates who are muted.

Quote Originally Posted by tehadambomb View Post
    Valve's response *is* in fact a reasonable argument for the mute system. Whether or not you agree with it is a different story entirely.
    Exactly. Valve's argument is basically "bad behavior needs to be modified." Let's take that as given for now. It's not unreasonable in and of itself.

The problem is implementation. For behavior modification to be successful, you have to specify what behavior you want to be modified. That is, you have to say what was done incorrectly and what should be done instead.

Does the current system do that? No. It gives you NO feedback whatsoever. Players do not know in which games they were reported and for what reasons. You cannot expect players to change their behaviors if you don't give them this information.

Oh, of course, someone will retort, "60% of all muted players reform." First, that statistic is the worst one of the four presented. It does not address the possibilities that muted players leave the game / create smurfs. You might say, "good! We don't need them." Which is fine, but then you can't say they "reformed."

Second, if Valve believed what they said, then they would not have had to throttle pings for muted players, now would they? I mean, why make this change if most muted players "reform" and there aren't many muted players to begin with?
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post

The problem is implementation. For behavior modification to be successful, you have to specify what behavior you want to be modified. That is, you have to say what was done incorrectly and what should be done instead.
    Incorrect. Just treat the people you play with like people you see everyday, in real life, and there will be no issues. I will almost guarantee no-one sees someone trip or fall walking down the street and says "learn to fucking walk you idiot, may as well just go kill yourself." Which translated into dota 2 terms is "you fucking suck at this game you idiot, just quit now."

Quote Originally Posted by sn1 View Post
    Incorrect. Just treat the people you play with like people you see everyday, in real life, and there will be no issues. I will almost guarantee no-one sees someone trip or fall walking down the street and says "learn to fucking walk you idiot, may as well just go kill yourself." Which translated into dota 2 terms is "you fucking suck at this game you idiot, just quit now."
    This is not a good comparison and making it is ableist. Stop trivializing the plight of the disabled and check your privilege.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonWasTaken View Post
    This is not a good comparison and making it is ableist. Stop trivializing the plight of the disabled and check your privilege.
    Haha. Did you miss the point of what I said or are you being sarcastic? Funny none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by sn1 View Post
    Incorrect. Just treat the people you play with like people you see everyday, in real life, and there will be no issues.
    No. If you want behavior modification, you have to specify what behavior you want modified. That's introductory psychology.
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix