Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Could someone please give me a serious argument for the mute system?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Could someone please give me a serious argument for the mute system?

Okay guys, I'm looking for a serious argument in favor of the mute system, because I just don't understand. At the very least, why would valve not have an option for players to unmute the muted players? Like, they are defaultly muted but you can unmute if you wish. You can already mute people if they are bothering you with one click. So I just dont understand why there has to be a system that mutes people without an option for the player's team to unmute them. This isn't coming from a whiny kid who's mad about being muted, I am legitimately trying to understand. I'm a bit sick of having 2 or 3 people on my team who can't communicate aside from chat wheel.

Basic Member
    Valve already explained about the mute system on their main website Dota2.com if you haven't read it already I suggest you should right now. Simply put, the mute system is shown statistically helping the game and improve the Dota2 community. The mute system has been improved and the mute ban rate has droped alot. currently only 1 percent of the players are muted. really if you just play the game and be friendly the mute system isn't a problem at all. The trolls who post complain all deserve to be muted and I have never been muted ever. So I can prove the mute system is good.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvstery View Post
    Valve already explained about the mute system on their main website Dota2.com if you haven't read it already I suggest you should right now. Simply put, the mute system is shown statistically helping the game and improve the Dota2 community. The mute system has been improved and the mute ban rate has droped alot. currently only 1 percent of the players are muted. really if you just play the game and be friendly the mute system isn't a problem at all. The trolls who post complain all deserve to be muted and I have never been muted ever. So I can prove the mute system is good.
    Never trust statistics.

Basic Member
    That's what they are saying. Stack banning doesn't work according to them either. Stack banning still works, since the system is still automated. The 1% is pretty much horseshit as well, about 3/10 games (on average) I run into a muted person. And unless it's the same guy who changes his name after every game, it doesn't look like only 1%.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agravaine View Post
    Stack banning still works, since the system is still automated.
    Are you suggesting that Valve can't automate ignoring "stacks"?

Quote Originally Posted by Agravaine View Post
    The 1% is pretty much horseshit as well, about 3/10 games (on average) I run into a muted person. And unless it's the same guy who changes his name after every game, it doesn't look like only 1%.
    Or your bracket and/or session group contains a higher number of muted people, it won't necessarily be evenly distributed.

For instance I use Solo Queue a lot and, as far as I can tell, I've yet to play with a muted player.

Valve already explained about the mute system on their main website Dota2.com if you haven't read it already I suggest you should right now.
    valve also admitted that innocent players get muted and basically said 'its a work in progress' and 'its for the greater good' in that blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Meiun View Post
    valve also admitted that innocent players get muted and basically said 'its a work in progress' and 'its for the greater good' in that blog.
    There will always be "innocent" victims of the system.No matter how good will be the system there will always be.Most of those "victims" deserve their chat ban (more or less, but they do).What Valve should work is reducing the number of abuses, but nothing more.I'd even suggest a low prio for those who get repeated chat bans (I mean ok, you get banned once because you were in a team with a stack of retards that all reported you and finally gpt chat banned, it happens twice, bad luck, it happens 3 times; wait a second dude you are really a douche -> low prio)

Basic Member
    I did read it, and I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that 1% of the player base is muted. There is no way. In every game I play there is at the very least 1 person with a [muted] tag in their name and probably others who didnt bother to change their name. Your logic is downright hilarious. "I have never been muted, so the mute system must work well" is like saying "I have never had AIDS, so it must not be a problem". I still don't see why I shouldnt have an option to unmute muted players so I dont have to lose a game because half my team can't communicate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubs View Post
    I did read it, and I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that 1% of the player base is muted. There is no way. In every game I play there is at the very least 1 person with a [muted] tag in their name and probably others who didnt bother to change their name.
    Total unique players this month: 3,451,040
    1% of that ≈ 34,510
    Players online right now ≈ 152,000
    Chances of a muted player in your game ≈ 22%

1% is A LOT. People sure do have a lot of ego/anger problems.
    Last edited by k0n; 06-04-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubs View Post
    I did read it, and I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that 1% of the player base is muted. There is no way. In every game I play there is at the very least 1 person with a [muted] tag in their name and probably others who didnt bother to change their name. Your logic is downright hilarious. "I have never been muted, so the mute system must work well" is like saying "I have never had AIDS, so it must not be a problem". I still don't see why I shouldnt have an option to unmute muted players so I dont have to lose a game because half my team can't communicate.
    I can't be arsed to read this whole thread but if you're not going to believe Valve's response then don't fucking ask for one.