Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with bots is infuriating- AI, team lineup, dives, feed etc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbla View Post
    Slightly tangential, but don't brush off being unable to win when your bots feed (which happens often) as unrelated to your own play skill. Even if your bots feed over the moon, if you know what you are doing you can still win comfortably (unless you did something stupid like play a Crystal Maiden).
    If your bots do nothing but feed the entire damn match there isnt much you can do apart from split pushing with boots of travel, and even with that nothing will guarantee that you will win. What can you do against a team of 5 pushing bots specially when they are fat from killing your team all the time? Do I constantly need to teleport to all lanes from the beginning of the game to support the bots and prevent them from feeding? No. The topic here is that your team bots are retarted. This doesnt happen when playing a bot co-op match, pretty much it ends up something like 40-4 for the human team and the bots have no change.
    Last edited by Garry70; 06-12-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Basic Member
    I have to completely agree that Allied bots are worthless. I have pretty much rage quit the last half dozen or so times I've tried to kill some time for my friends to be ready to play with me. You can't win if they are feeding while you are mid and lane-ing with one is practically 2v1 with someone taking half your xp

Basic Member
    If you see the enemy team got Viper and you somewhat got Drow in your team, ggwp. (unless you take Sniper and beat the shit out of Viper's ass during laning phase.)
    Seriously, Drow on the enemy team is godlike. When she's on your team she went full retard mode.
    Last edited by Acer13; 06-13-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Basic Member
    All the points here are valid.

I find that one of the worst "features" of the bots have is the inability to jump in if you are playing an initiator. Just try and play earthshaker, blink in, get a perfect slam off and get chained to death by 5 enemy heroes all on 10% hp while your allies are standing outside the battle doing absolutely nothing despite your frantic pinging. After you're dead, half of them back off while the other half will suicide to the 5-man team. The other half who ran away will suicide 10 seconds later. Every time. Exactly the same thing with magnus, tidehunter and the like.

One other thing that wasn't mentioned in here is that when you're playing support and pull a jungle camp, your lane carry will often get confused by the lack of creeps and stand in the lane getting killed, or in other cases he'll just pull the enemy creepwave and heroes to the camp you pulled your creepwave to. It's actually pretty funny how good they are at that. They can tank under towers fine in other cases, like when defending so it's a bit weird.
    The bots will also get stuck on clearing jungle camps that get pulled by aoe damage or by whatever (so that they're outside of the spawnpoint). It can be midchase or when rushing to tower, they'll just have to stop to kill all jungle creeps that aren't inside their camps. It gets especially bad if you clear the trees from around the camps.

Additional bugs:

Sandking is unable to break the sandstorm channeling until it runs out of time or it gets interrupted.

Fleeing bots will turn to face the enemy team if you heal them. Even if it was 5 enemies chasing one low bot, the moment you pop a heal on him, he'll turn around and die.

Kunkka fails at farming. Big time. He'll go in to hit a creep every once in a while when his tidebringer is up but it happens really randomly and he then just stands back until tidebringer is up again.

Bots don't care about death prophet ulti. At least they rarely stand in jakiro ulti, but that might be because jakiro ulti never hits anything in the first place.

If you ping an enemy hero and your team goes to chase, additional pings will do nothing: your team will chase the first pinged hero until the enemy tier3 at which point most of them are usually dead or dying.

If you ping your own tower/base right after your allies have left to do whatever they like to do, they'll often waste tp scrolls to come back.

Enemy bots have no trouble doing roshan while allied bots usually fail to attack or tank him at all.

Trying to get your own bots to interrupt enemy rosh attempt: your bots will go and try to kill rosh (=stand there doing nothing) while enemy team will rip you apart.

All in all, the bots will teach you almost nothing about the game in their current state as so many of the bot features are just too broken. However, botmatches are good for learning jungling, last-hitting against decent denying (hard and unfair bots on the enemy team are really good at last hitting and denying, I'll give you that) and lane-pulling (that's if you don't mind your lane-partner feeding like mad) and all that mechanical stuff and learning what the hero skills do. But I really couldn't imagine how it'd be like to play with the bots without any prior dota experience. It can't give a good impression about the game.
    Last edited by Peekafoo; 06-17-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Basic Member
    Yup, playing against a Sniper Bot on hard is hell because he denies almost everything, no fun.

Also I talked about the enemy bots maphacking and it amazes me how well they do this and insta stun you to death. I was playing as a Skywrath when suddenly I got hit by by Jakiros ice stun, followed by a torrent and Sand Kings burrow strike. They had no vision what so ever but since the CPU is so damn precise with their attacks that when one gets you, all the others will too. I couldn't do jack shit and died. They must have some kind of "human Player is close radar".

Meanwhile your bots never, and I mean NEVER do this.

Basic Member
    If you're somewhat comfortable with the hero you're playing and play an active role in teamfights you will ALWAYS win. And if you are seriously worried about getting hit by those famous bot chain stuns (we are all familiar with them) then farm up a bkb as soon as possible and watch the enemy team melt.

A lot of the complaints in this thread are valid, however these issues should rarely stop you from winning. In fact recently I've been playing a lot of bot matches and I sort of wished my teammates would be a bit worse and not push so efficiently, since they tend to push towards the ancient before the 40 minute mark.

And a tip if you want to finish your bot match quickly, farm up damage items, go to the enmy fountain when the majority of them are dead and kill them when they respawn. For some reason their derpy AI reaches a whole new level near their fountain.

Basic Member
    If you're playing a carry with strong aoe (for example anti mage with battle fury, void with ult and battle fury, weaver with radiance) you should take advantage of the bot's pushing strategies (grouping up as 5 and staying in a small area). These clumped up hero tactics are really funny when you're playing a high leveled invoker, meatball combo and rampage ensues. Also heroes like Zeus, Warlock, Tidehunter, Magnus, etc. are good if you want to have some fun with those pushing bots.

And you really SHOULD gank the other lanes in the early game too because it's more effective than just staying in your lane feeding off your lane opponent as far as gpm is concerned.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkurtommo View Post
    And you really SHOULD gank the other lanes in the early game too because it's more effective than just staying in your lane feeding off your lane opponent as far as gpm is concerned.
    Plus it's pretty entertaining. If I'm playing with a full bot team (which I often don't, usually when I play with bots nowadays I play 2v5 unfair with a friend of mine), then I'll generally prefer going a support/ganker hero and just ganking and supporting all over the place, it really gives your own bots an edge and stops them from randomly falling into a feeding frenzy. The games are usually quite action packed without the game turning into a complete stomp due to your own inability to take over the game like a carry hero because I generally also don't take last hits from my bot allies, it is recommended to run with a modded bot setup though because otherwise you'll get CK's in your lane that stare at you going "Why aren't you taking last hits CM? I'm support, you take it. :))"

Basic Member
    Bots cant deal with meepos.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkurtommo View Post
    If you're somewhat comfortable with the hero you're playing and play an active role in teamfights you will ALWAYS win. And if you are seriously worried about getting hit by those famous bot chain stuns (we are all familiar with them) then farm up a bkb as soon as possible and watch the enemy team melt.

A lot of the complaints in this thread are valid, however these issues should rarely stop you from winning. In fact recently I've been playing a lot of bot matches and I sort of wished my teammates would be a bit worse and not push so efficiently, since they tend to push towards the ancient before the 40 minute mark.

And a tip if you want to finish your bot match quickly, farm up damage items, go to the enmy fountain when the majority of them are dead and kill them when they respawn. For some reason their derpy AI reaches a whole new level near their fountain.
    I don't think anyone's complaining about not being able to win against bots. The issue is, they're doing a lot of really stupid stuff while offsetting it with maphacks and all the other inhuman stuff. Sure you can exploit their AI all you want to win easily, but it doesn't teach you anything about playing against other humans. I see the bots are there for practicing and testing stuff before you head to face other people, but in their current state they're just so unlike human players that it's utterly useless.