Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spam Botters

Just make a spam filter to prevent players from posting the same thing more than twice in the past 3 seconds.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    VAC banning is meaningless on a free game unless there are some other restriction as well. Otherwise the spammer will just create a new account and start spamming again.

In addition to VAC banning, I would suggest:

• Requiring people to complete the tutorial (100%) before they can use chat channels. Having to invest several hours just to get to the point where they can spam will make them rethink.
    • Possibly take that last one a step further and do the same thing as done with TF2: separate the game between F2P and Full by the purchase of something in the store, and only people who have purchased items can use chat channels.
    • If an account becomes VAC banned, lock all items to it (no trading). The spammer could create a new account after the old one is VAC banned, but he wouldn't be able to move the items to the new account. Give them a way to appeal this. Unfortunately, this isn't a great solution because spammers would just move all their items to a bank account that they never spam with, and only move items to the spam accounts when they get a bite. I can't think of a good solution to that.
    • Give us a Right Click->Report Spammer option. If enough people (say 5) in chat report the person as a spammer, it will mute them in all channels. The spammer is not notified in game, but rather notified by their linked email account. If they never read that email, then they never know they're muted.
    +1 bro, are you by any chance roadkill from South Africa :?

anyway i started my thread about this in the misc section with some of my own ideas - some like them and some don't we just need feedback on this from the devs!

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=99672

Basic Member
    VAC banning is meaningless on a free game unless there are some other restriction as well. Otherwise the spammer will just create a new account and start spamming again.

• Requiring people to complete the tutorial (100%) before they can use chat channels. Having to invest several hours just to get to the point where they can spam will make them rethink.
    • Possibly take that last one a step further and do the same thing as done with TF2: separate the game between F2P and Full by the purchase of something in the store, and only people who have purchased items can use chat channels.
    • If an account becomes VAC banned, lock all items to it (no trading). The spammer could create a new account after the old one is VAC banned, but he wouldn't be able to move the items to the new account. Give them a way to appeal this. Unfortunately, this isn't a great solution because spammers would just move all their items to a bank account that they never spam with, and only move items to the spam accounts when they get a bite. I can't think of a good solution to that.
    • Give us a Right Click->Report Spammer option. If enough people (say 5) in chat report the person as a spammer, it will mute them in all channels. The spammer is not notified in game, but rather notified by their linked email account. If they never read that email, then they never know they're muted.
    Steam bans should completely ban certain hardware IDs, like hardware MAC address, hard drive serial numbers, motherboard serial number, etc. That would prevent easy circumvention.

Basic Member
    They will write Bots which complete the Tuts :/ I agree with the Report Spammer option though.

Basic Member

+1 to all of this points

Basic Member
    Valve really should have fixed this by now, specially with TI3. Being spammed with trading messages outside a match is already bad enough, but when you ignore bots their message will still keep showing when you are spectating a game while having a chat room selected.

Basic Member
    this bots really ruined my ti3 experience a little bit. last year we used to chat while watching games and share exiting moments. this year, if you select your community channel, you had a textwall of spam on your screen...

i report them all for user misconduct, i hope valve will help us.

FIX THE BOTS please, Im tired of bots spamming all chat rooms, they shouldnt be alowed to spam rooms that arent for trade like main reddit channal, Joindota, GGnet official channals and other just let them spam in channals like ''Items trade'' ''Trading 2-1'' etc or JUST BLOCK BOTS please.