Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can you still tollerate those fundamental bugs?

Banned

How can you still tollerate those fundamental bugs?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...nnoys_me_alot/

964 upvotes,

+

When you have some other unit selected, it dies, and you press a move command, that command is issued on your primary hero, even though you did not select him.
    +

as an old dota player, it really bugs me that somehow i keep buying tps without buying tps.

I can't, that's why I try avoiding "micro" heroes.
    VALVE KNIGHTS - ASSEMBLE!

Basic Member
    Leave Volvo alone plox, it's beta be happy to play the game for free.

If you can't tolerate "bugs" in betas you gonna have a bad time. If a unit dies the next unit will be selected which gives you the chance to react faster with your hero but also can screw you up if you don't pay attention, having to select at least 50% of your unit with drag boxes prevents you from selecting units around the unit you want to select, like broodmother in tons of her spiderlings, so you could change these "bugs" just that someone else would complaining about them the other way around. Dota 2 isn't Starcraft 2.
    Last edited by Kaneomanie; 06-09-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Basic Member
    i am sure these are pretty important features need to be fixed in some way, but reddit upvotes? seriously?

Basic Member
    Even on broodwar, or baldur's gate (~15 year old game) the selection via dragging wasn't as fail as here. So to me, this is an indeed an horrible bug.
    for those who played lord of the realms, even thought it was pretty bad, it wasn't as bad as here.

I mean, it's okey to have bug in a beta, a lot have been fixed (some would say not enough ^^) but yeah, some bug are almost innaceptable, just cause it been years since no1 ever made them (even on poor quality flash game !)
    And definitly, the drag selection in dota2 is one of them.

Personnaly, on dota1, i was always using drag to select unit (even to select a single unit), now in dota2 i switched to single click + maj to add more
    Last edited by miambox; 06-10-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Basic Member
    What you are suggesting is that if the creeps are inside/touching the green lines the units are selected.

This can be sometimes frustrating. (A fast moving unit which takes a lot of room for his animation. Its animation keeps going in and out of that green box making the selections harder.)
    The way it is now makes sense and I personally prefer it that way.

It is weird for starcraft players because they are not used to it.

-----

When you have some other unit selected, it dies, and you press a move command, that command is issued on your primary hero, even though you did not select him.
    I actually like this feature. If you have a unit -which you have no control over- selected and you rightclick on floor you automatically jump to your own hero. I am sure you used this feature plenty of times. While checking the enemy/ally heroes' item build you still have full control over your hero.

In WC3 DotA you have to select your hero again. Be it via manual click or unit binding. This can mess it up quite a lot. Imagine you were checking your enemies items and you are ganked that moment. Many people panic and try to click on ground trying to run away. But they have to select their hero before being able to issue any command.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    Imagine you are playing phantom lancer, naga, chen, enchant, beat, or we other hero that has either illusion, summon, or dominator or necrom.
    You back, and try to body block with summon/illusion, but then timer of that unit run out, or it get destroy too fast (hex/drain/cleave/crit etc...)

Your hero is now returning to the area he was escaping from, and since turn rate isn't instant, he at least lost 1 sec.
    It's ok for it to be a new feature, but it is definitly worst then what it was before (okey that point dipend on skill of players/case in which it happen), so it should be in option, like auto attack on/off is an option

This game will be in this "pseudo beta status" forever unless we as users stop justifying the lack of commitment to fix things just because "it's a beta".

But what can you do when Valve is being pumped money out of nowhere by selling e-books (and I'm guilty of helping them). Sigh...

Valve Developer
    We will improve box-select in an update soon.