Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Support!

Welcome to Dota.

Im sorry, but I dont understand what this thread have to do with development? This belong rather to PlayDota.com.

/On topic: play real solo q, while it wont solve all the problems it will at least split them equaly on both teams. Learn how to play multiple roles. Good player will always find a way to adapt and win 50%+ games even without stacking.
    Read this if you want to know why so many games is very one sided: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post436467

Basic Member
    cant agree more

the support is a very ungreatful role,
    i think iam at higher normal right now and have been lucky some games with people actually appreciate your hard work even if your stats aint so cool.
    my last game (Match 218813588) ended 3-5-15 with AA and even our muted Natures Prophet thanked me through his friend when i saved his bacon. (makes it more worthwhile),they understood without 5 min chatting that you tried to bait, but its always more fun when you win :/

This can be a dev issue, made this suggestion yesterday to get commend that more hit the support, "teamplayer" http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=92338

To all out there, commend the support more not only the carry even if it looks cooler when they melt faces.

live long and prosper //insanisane

Basic Member
    I usually play alone and almost always pick support:
    http://dotabuff.com/players/99474349
    I don't have that bad experience with team mates. I don't remember when I was flamed last time.

One tip: play support only if you enjoy that role.

Dude,when i play support i don't even buy wards and i still don't get flamed,or blamed.That's how good i am.

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    while you are certainly correct that playing support is an ungrateful role, you must not forget that it also is the hardest role to play.
    buying wards and chicken is nice but you also have many other responsibilities (creep stacking, creep pulling, zoning, ganking, securing runes, rotating against ganks and so on). there are so many tasks that you cannot possibly do all of them and need to prioritize. if you buy too many wards, you will not be able to do some of the other tasks because you lack speed, mana, damage, hp or something else (in the start, when every point matters). that is why usually two players are supposed to do the supporting/warding. one to a lesser extent but enough to give the other the opportunity to not be completely useless. it gets alot easier as soon as you participate in a kill ofc, but until then you are on a rough road.
    try to find out which tasks you do best. warding and buying courier are surely things one can do "best" but they are only good if your team can use them effectively. try to find out which other duties are more fitting to your current ally-skill-level and try to excel at them (read: zoning and creep-stack-pulling).
    This is excellent advice.

The most critical aspect of any game is the interplay between offlaners and opposing lane support. As lane support your goal is to starve the enemy of xp and gold, but don't forget that they're trying to do exactly the same as you. If they can stop you using the pull camp or stop you ganking the lane then the enemy offlaner is very happy because you get only base gold and any xp that you take is leeched from your carry.

I'd recommend learning offlane aswell, so that you can see how others of your rank play lane support. There are almost certainly ideas that you learn from them.

Lane support is often a thankless task. At lower ranks, that is often due to the fact that your allies don't fully understand your role. If I see a strong lane support, I'll be sure to compliment them after the match, even if they're on the enemy team.
    Last edited by Craig; 06-14-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    To avoid LPQ:

Don't draw attention to yourself
    Don't use voice or chat except for 'ss'
    Mute all at lvl 1
    Only play in parties
    Get alternate accounts
    Limit your usage to one or two games per day per account
    Don't play too well
    Don't play on Sunday or Monday
    Wait until the developers reset LPQ status

If you're getting matched with trolls or feeders:

You may have been placed in a hidden pool. There is no known way out of this, apart from moving to a different account.

Basic Member
    Whats with all the crying?
    Are you the guys who expect thanks for healing in a mmo?

If you play support your role is to buy all the consumables your team need, and helping whoever needs helping while caring for your carry.
    Thats what you do, if you dont like it pick a carry or a ganker but dont expect extra attention for doing what your role dictates you to do.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefiro View Post
    Whats with all the crying?
    Are you the guys who expect thanks for healing in a mmo?

If you play support your role is to buy all the consumables your team need, and helping whoever needs helping while caring for your carry.
    Thats what you do, if you dont like it pick a carry or a ganker but dont expect extra attention for doing what your role dictates you to do.
    Worst definition of Dota 2 support ever. Babysitting doesn't work90% of the time, specially if you want to win not completely relying on your team. Supports are heroes who have early game impact. Make use of that advantage, as several people have mentioned.
    I'm sorry Valve, but the only way I know how to coach players is with tough love.

We all play for fun, try hards are just WAY BETTER than you. Read this.

dev.dota2.com is about development, if you want to QQ about your last match (trust me, matchmaking algorithm has nothing to do with it): Click here

Basic Member
    If any of you have ever seen my Disruptor in your games (Simp) you'll know playing support is beast!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vininim View Post
    specially if you want to win not completely relying on your team.
    But dota is a team game, if you are not playing with your team, you are playing the wrong game.