Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Support!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Playing Support!

I usually play Support and I rly watch alot competitive games. But it's simply not possible to play support in public games with >3 random players that I don't know.

Game starts: >2 russians in team insta pick 2-3 carries. My turn, as I said, I usually pick support. First carry cries for chick and wards, I'm the only support, so I start the game with 1 Tango, 1 Salve, 1 Clarity, 1 Branch.

Laning begins. I accidently hit on a Creep.. and now I find myself in a situation of hatred and cyrillic sympols. I apologize in english, no one answers. Laning goes on and the lane gets pushed. Finally I see the first english words in the chat: "GO FUCKING PULL U MORON". Same person.

Minute 5. My items are 1 Branch and 320 Gold. A wild mid-laner apears. "CHICK-UP FFS!". done. 100 Gold, 1 Branch.

Minute 8. "OMFG NO WARDS". I got 440 Gold. Down to 290 but wards are up again, no one say thanks.

Minute 11. Finally, the magical 450 Gold to get dat boots! So my items are: 1 Boots of Speed, 1 Branch. Full-build.

The game goes on and on. I managed to get classic support stats like 1-4-8 or so, wards are up all the time. Also got a brand new Magic Stick but it seems like we're gonna lose this one.

Minute 34. My three russian carries try to steal as much farm from each other as possible and get perma killed by 5-men doto from the enemy. Cyrillic everywhere. At least mixed with some english words I can understand. "CYKA [NAME-OF-MY-HERO] FUCKING IDIOT IDI NAHUI blah blah blah"

Minute 41. After hours of fountain-dancing and all of my carries finally got their Hand of Midas. The game is over. I get one of that awesome new Treasure of Incandescent Wax Chests and the last words I read from my mates are: "REPORTS THIS FUCKING [NAME-OF-MY-HERO] FEEDER".

ggwp

i enjoy "storytime with whiners" thanks for posting

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Talron View Post
    There's a lot of siggable comments on here recently
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Just to clarify, there was never any "win rate" calculation. Ever. It is true that a goal of matchmaking is to make even teams. The matchmaker also will raise your Elo and try to put you in players of equivalent skill, which indirectly tries to get the win rate to 50%. However, it has never looked at your historical win rate and put you in a game where it knew that you were expected to lose.
    Is every post on this forum about the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Basic Member
    Same. Also at op:
    Boots<wards<chicken upgrade
    A guy that screams we need wards at min 8 means most likely you had wards min 0-6 but not past that for 2 mins. So my conclusion on this:
    wards up all the time
    Fucking lie
    Also it is possible to play supp in pubs without mates. I do it all the time. Get some skillz
    Also learn to mute button the ppl that only spam in cyrillic it only clutters your screen with random bullshit anyway.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohne_caps View Post
    Same. Also at op:
    Boots<wards<chicken upgrade
    A guy that screams we need wards at min 8 means most likely you had wards min 0-6 but not past that for 2 mins. So my conclusion on this:

Fucking lie
    Also it is possible to play supp in pubs without mates. I do it all the time. Get some skillz
    Also learn to mute button the ppl that only spam in cyrillic it only clutters your screen with random bullshit anyway.

I found the carries. Go report them if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefiro View Post
    Whats with all the crying?
    Are you the guys who expect thanks for healing in a mmo?

If you play support your role is to buy all the consumables your team need, and helping whoever needs helping while caring for your carry.
    Thats what you do, if you dont like it pick a carry or a ganker but dont expect extra attention for doing what your role dictates you to do.
    And here comes the mid.
    Last edited by nymphe; 06-15-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Basic Member
    By taking a support hero you are just opening yourself up to abuse from people who expect you to spend 100% of your gold on them, will scream at you for getting your core items, because boots make you a carry, and who will refuse to buy wards even if they have 3000 gold in the bank.

Basic Member
    And that's exactly why most of my games end in flame and blame. I just want to enjoy the game by offering my mates the role that nobody wants to play. I like to play support but at the moment, DotA is the meeting place for legendary online cock-fights. Especially by the end of the week when nobody got any Reports left.

ill delay my boots for 10-15 mins or more if my team needs wards enough.

My new rule is that I don't play support to non-English speakers (which includes those South Americans and Russians whose English consists entirely of "fuck your mother").
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

Basic Member
    while you are certainly correct that playing support is an ungrateful role, you must not forget that it also is the hardest role to play.
    buying wards and chicken is nice but you also have many other responsibilities (creep stacking, creep pulling, zoning, ganking, securing runes, rotating against ganks and so on). there are so many tasks that you cannot possibly do all of them and need to prioritize. if you buy too many wards, you will not be able to do some of the other tasks because you lack speed, mana, damage, hp or something else (in the start, when every point matters). that is why usually two players are supposed to do the supporting/warding. one to a lesser extent but enough to give the other the opportunity to not be completely useless. it gets alot easier as soon as you participate in a kill ofc, but until then you are on a rough road.
    try to find out which tasks you do best. warding and buying courier are surely things one can do "best" but they are only good if your team can use them effectively. try to find out which other duties are more fitting to your current ally-skill-level and try to excel at them (read: zoning and creep-stack-pulling).
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage