Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A lot less people share match history than I expected

A lot less people share match history than I expected

EDIT:
    I'm pretty happy with my data now. It took a while to go back and re-parse the incomplete matches (missing players) whilst also keeping up with the new matches. There is a about a day of data missing (when the parser fell over), but I should pick that up at some later point.

65.9% is still quite a large number. While the sample size was smaller, I have seen this number rise to 80%... but never drop below 50%.

Any thoughts on how relevant this phenomena is to the accuracy of the data you can pull from the API?

Last edited by jimmydorry; 07-15-2013 at 09:21 PM.

I guess it's because the default setting is not to share. I'm actually surprised that only 57% don't as I thought the majority of players didn't even know about the option.

I guess the only people sharing would be the users of dotabuff.

I really wish Valve had done the responsible thing by making people choose whether to enable or not, as a once off startup question.

Or even better, put a unique dummy user_id for those that are hidden. You can't do any population aggregate statistical analysis as it is.

My sample was pretty small. It's actually shifted to 73.32%. Sample period is 1.3days
    Last edited by jimmydorry; 06-16-2013 at 04:33 AM.

75.17%... gosh. I guess we won't have a good idea until I have a few days worth of matches. At this rate it looks like it will be 80%. *_*

Basic Member
    I'll chime in here and i think i know another reason why people don't want to show there matches apart from not knowing they can.

If any of you have played other games similar you will realize that stats can hinder games. I will use HoN as my example since it is a very similar game.

The problem with HoN stats that if glorified certain roles *carries* so if u didn't have a base 1:1 kill to death ratio then people would rage and choose another carry in spite just because you chose a carry. The assist statistic would be completely ignored and because of this other roles like support and tank/initiators became some what frowned upon or obsolete.

Statistics can type cast players into certain roles and force unwanted behaviors from a community, so I would say this would have some part to do with it as well. I think its good that players have the choice to reveal or hide cause i knew players were using the stats in matches to troll others before Valve intervened.

I myself think that there are still many players out there that don't even know Dotabuff exists thus they don't change the "share match history" option.

Do these hidden stats affect you or your projects?

I asked on dotametric, but since it's Your thread, I'll repost.

What Your data really means as in:
    Having 20 883 matches I'd expect sum of (anon+total id_ed) to be 208 830 (number of games *10). 122k+38k does not sum up to 200, I assume incomplete games, yet no data about it.
    How can You have more unique users, then id'ed ones? Aren't they swapped in Your image?
    What methodology do You use to differ from 1 anon user, then another?

For example:
    match1: anon,anon,anon,anon,anon vs 1,2,3,4,5
    match2: anon,anon,4,5,6 vs anon,anon,anon,anon,anon

In this example, do You count 8 id'ed users, 6 unique and 12 anon => 12/(12+8=20)=60% ?
    That's wrong assumption, as anons in game 1 and 2 might be same 5man stack, so that would be 7 unique anons => 7 / (7(unique anon)+6(unique)=13) => 54% of players in this 2 matches don't share stats.
    And what if we would have 8 more matches with full anons only? ( so 8ided, 6 unique, 92 anons) Will You call it 92% ? Those as well might be just 10 unique anons, which would mean 10/(10+6) = 62.5%

Unless You state Your methodology, You cannot say "% of userbase are sharing stats", You might ofc say "% of users in matches are anon", but that's completely different statement.
    You gotta FIGHT!
    For Your RIGHT!
    To BUUUGFIX!

I feel like cosmetics(and even that is pretty sloppy most of the time) and preventing Dotabuff from stealing match information(what sensible company would allow this, really?) are the only 2 things they've done right lately.