Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match

Lightbulb [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match

Suggestion
    Show Dota patch notes ingame as soon as it matters to you (Example: When you picked a hero who got patched)

Introduction:
    As we all know Dota gets patched quite frequently. I dont mean the patches every week, like bug fixes and hats, but the patches which get implemented into Dota 1 as well. For Example the most recent patch due to v6.78: http://www.playdota.com/changelogs/6.78
    These patches contain many changes to heroes, items and gameplay in order to balance the game and will carry on even after Dota 2 got released.
    I would guess many players don't notice these patches since they don't follow the games developement and even if someone reads the changelog it can be difficult to remember all important changes. There may be some irrelevant changes like "Damage rescaled" but some changes are pretty important like "Spell XY reworked" or "Added Aghanim's Scepter to Spell XY".
    Because of the huge amount of changes and their obvious impact on the game, players should get informed or at least reminded of them ingame. (Examples below)
    This whole Patch Indicator could be only available for a certain period of time after the patch (e.g. 1-2 month) and players should be able to turn this feature on and off.

Example 1: Hero
    When I pick Ancient Apparition I would see a popup with "Added Aghanim's Scepter: Increasing Ice Blast duration from 8/9/10 to 17"
    Example 2: Item
    When I acquire a Gem of True Sight: *Popup* "Gem can no longer be destroyed"
    Example 3: Gameplay
    When I random a hero: *Popup* "Swapping a hero that you randomed now costs you 100 gold"

Options for implimentation:
    - Selecting a hero (= grey, not picking) shows a list of changes affecting this hero. (edit: changelog should be available via mouse hover, picture below)
    - After picking a hero a popup inform about changes affecting his spells. (picture below)
    - After purchasing an item a popup inform about changes affecting this item.
    - There could also be a simple button which opens a list of changes affecting relevant spells/items of the picked hero.

Advanced ideas:
    - After picking a hero a popup inform about changes affecting suggested items (Example: Pick Storm = [Popup] "Bloodstone: Can be activated to instantly kill yourself")
    - Generall changes or good-to-know-changes could be displayed on the loading screen. (Example: "Quelling Blade: Can now target Observer or Sentry wards dealing 100 damage")
    - More Information: Post #4, Post #11, Post #13

Criticism
    - The community pointed out that the loading screen might not be the right place for patch notes and could lead to a longer picking phase.
    - Furthermore popups could be overwhelming and time consuming. A simple window might suffice.

Pictures (only visualization of what I mean):

Old Version: http://i.imgur.com/AkUa7p0.jpg

Last edited by Eggsplorer; 07-16-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    that's actually quite smart.
    but what if a person misses out on say 20 patches.
    how would you display the patchnotes in that case?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

That's a good point.
    If someone has a lot of catching up to do he should propably read some changelogs first.
    The client would show the latest patch notes only but would indicate that the player missed many patches.
    Let's assume someone is interested in catching up but don't know how to do it:
    In the long term it is not ideal to forward players to playdota.com/changelogs since some new players might not know about the original site.
    I would like to see a changelog on dota2.com with map changes only (v6.78 etc.) where people can keep track of changed content without using different sites.
    Furthermore it would come in handy if one could select a certain hero and see all changes made to him only.

Since Dota 2 got released it will attract players who might never heard of Dota 1 before. I imgaine them playing without knowing about playdota.com or these dev forum. If a new map gets released they might notice their dota client updating but wont know about relevant changes.
    Changing this fact is quite important since new players have in my opinion a high priority.

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    that's actually quite smart.
    but what if a person misses out on say 20 patches.
    how would you display the patchnotes in that case?
    I think that person can do the research on his own.

Basic Member
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruscris2 View Post
    No.
    Do you refer to the OP?
    If yes, may I know why not?
    Last edited by Eggsplorer; 07-14-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Direclaw View Post
    I think that person can do the research on his own.
    ofc he can.
    the question is how should the system deal with it.
    eggsplorer already answered it by stating to display only the latest patch and to notify the user that he missed alot of additional changes.

another question.
    how about a hero who has all 4 of his spells changed in various ways (not completely reworked). that would mean 4 very hefty popups that nobody can ever read.
    how to deal with that amount of data?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

hm maybe display a check box like

[x]patch 6.78 changes
    [ ]patch 6.77 changes
    [ ]patch 6.76 changes

so ppl can choose from that (if anything)