Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solution to ALL the matchmaking issues

Basic Member

Talking Solution to ALL the matchmaking issues

In addition of regular matchmaking we need the ability to create and join random lobbies like the original DotA system. When you create a room you will be able to choose parameters such as :

- Minimum/maximum wins
    - Region (You can lock it so for instance only EU West inhabitants can join it)
    - Language
    - Gamemode
    - Password
    - etc

Once someone join you'll be able to check his profile so you can see in addition to the actual profile page (which displays regular matchmaking informations) their lobby winrate/leaves/etc.
    Stats from regular matchmaking and lobbies will be separated (lobbies will also display loses unlike matchmaking), this way we're sure winrates from lobbies won't affect matchmaking.

Lobbies stats will only be saved if the match lasted atleast 15/20 minutes being 5 people on each team, this way we'll prevent cheating on the winrates, etc...
    Concerning battlepoints on lobbies I don't really know this up to you, maybe we should not give any so we're sure there will be no cheating, or we just could make an anti-cheating system.

After you finished the match everybody go back to the lobby's screen so people can commend eachother, add themselves as friends, rematch, leave, etc...
    This system provides us all things we need : better community (since you'll be able to make more friends and rematch with them), better matches quality (since you'll be able to choose who you play with), better progression (since you'll be able to create noob's lobbies), the ability to play every gamemode (like Reverse Captains Mode), etc...

I hope you like this suggestion, please let me know what do you think about this !

=> No mute system on lobbies only individual mutes, so it don't hurts teamplay
    Last edited by ne3zy; 06-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Basic Member
    bump

Basic Member
    I'd like to see a similar system (I have an alternative system idea which is a bit different) but this is a huge change compared to the present system. And as far as I know Valve does not like huge changes, they make them step by step.

But in this case it would be really difficult to make these changes step by step because your system would only work if the stats of players were public and a lot of people would join these lobbies.

It doesnt solve all the problems, since queue times will become even longer.
    Read this if you want to know why so many games is very one sided: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post436467

I guess Valve is preparing something similar to your suggestion called "The Guild system".
    The strings posted on Cyborgmatts stream show a system where a large group of different players can play and interact with each other.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantToHelpAsMuchAsIcan View Post
    It doesnt solve all the problems, since queue times will become even longer.
    there is no queue in lobbies

Quote Originally Posted by ne3zy View Post
    there is no queue in lobbies
    A person plays game in the lobby -> a person who doesn't participate in the MM.

So yes, even if lobbies will be quite unpopular, they will still result in longer queues.

Basic Member
    What's the point? In a normal matchmaking game, you're already matched with people with all the parameters you had mentioned.

By merely looking at wins is certainly not enough to judge a player and in the end, it's still the same question, "How're you going to group people of the same level together?"

This is not a solution but an evolution to more problems.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyDestiny View Post
    What's the point? In a normal matchmaking game, you're already matched with people with all the parameters you had mentioned.

By merely looking at wins is certainly not enough to judge a player and in the end, it's still the same question, "How're you going to group people of the same level together?"

This is not a solution but an evolution to more problems.
    Not really, I can talk with them before I decide to play with, I have a lot of time and not only 1 min to check everything, if they're bad or flames a lot, etc I can decide to not play with them anymore, if I enjoyed to play with someone I can rematch with him easily, etc...
    Tell me how can an algorythm better choose who I want to play with than me ?

PS : and no matchmaking don't work with this paramaters, I have 500 wins and I've been matchmaked with some 20 wins guys, also you can't lock your region, etc...
    Last edited by ne3zy; 06-17-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ne3zy View Post
    Not really, I can talk with them before I decide to play with, I have a lot of time and not only 1 min to check everything, if they're bad or flames a lot, etc I can decide to not play with them anymore, if I enjoyed to play with someone I can rematch with him easily, etc...
    Tell me how can an algorythm better choose who I want to play with than me ?

PS : and no matchmaking don't work with this paramaters, I have 500 wins and I've been matchmaked with some 20 wins guys, also you can't lock your region, etc...
    Talking with them will tell you how good they're?

Not everyone had plentiful of time to wait for you to check them one by one based on a meaningless parameter, the no. of "wins".

So you decided not to play with me? What if I changed my name and join again? Then you'll be asking for a banlist or even restrict name changing, etc.

You can choose based on your preferences but is it going to maintain the quality of the match? It's going to be one-sided. You can choose to play with players who you can owned easily and not to play with players who you can't win. No matter what the situation is, you're still going to lower the quality of the game for others. It's selfish. And again, alogrithm isn't the solution too, that's why I asked "How're you going to group people of the same level together?"

Wins is not a good measurement of how good a player is. And you got placed with a 20 wins dude because the dude's skill level is yet to be determined caused by the insufficient amount of games played. It's known but hard to resolved because you don't want new players to be queue with worse players from the start, you will lose them in no time consider the amount of trolls/flamers out there. Though having 20 wins and still able to be in your pool means that that dude is somewhere there, near you skill level.