Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Muted for giving advice apparently??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleako View Post
    The "system" isn't automatically detecting insulting comments and randomly throwing bans around... it's only giving punishment based on player reports. Which were made by 100% real actual humans that found the comments to be insulting.
    Duh, that's how the system works, and it doesn't change a thing about what I said.

Basic Member
    your last nicknames:
    Minorkos 575
    im muted and im mid 26
    muted for saying "?" 17
    Bruisebringer 17
    muted for saying ezy 8
    wise sensei 4
    if i kill u it was easy 2
    potato knishes 2
    5 out of 8 give clear indication that you like to mock your enemies and allies.
    it's ridiculous that a player with that kind of mind set assumes he can teach other players without brushing them the wrong way in the very same game.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Why would you even need player reports if there was no penalty?
    Why would you ever need inadequate penalty systems?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    your last nicknames:

5 out of 8 give clear indication that you like to mock your enemies and allies.
    it's ridiculous that a player with that kind of mind set assumes he can teach other players without brushing them the wrong way in the very same game.

How are you even a moderator with that logic and sensitivity?

What kind of adequate penalty system doesn't dish out penalties? You can't ban people because they'll just make smurf accounts, you can't throw them in low priority queue for raging because the penalty is unfair, you can't just put a language filter because saying bad words isn't the actual issue but instead the intentions behind the words... you can't take away their cosmetics because they paid money for it...

What kind of adequate system could penalize trashtalkers appropriately in a way that doesn't piss them off anyway? Legit question here, give me examples.
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-17-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Basic Member
    It's kinda unrealistic to expect people to react positively to criticism given by complete strangers. Especially when the one giving advices is an opponent. This is just insulting and condescending.
    Man. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of making a better community right? You could say that the chat ban isn't working as intended. The nerve of that guy, offering advice to other players.

Laughable.

What kind of adequate penalty system doesn't dish out penalties? You can't ban people because they'll just make smurf accounts, you can't throw them in low priority queue for raging because the penalty is unfair, you can't just put a language filter because saying bad words isn't the actual issue but instead the intentions behind the words... you can't take away their cosmetics because they paid money for it...

What kind of adequate system could penalize trashtalkers appropriately in a way that doesn't piss them off?
    Why the hell not? It seems like the PERFECT punishment to me. Mute ban to me is a last resort measure to be taken against true hardcore flamers that insist on cursing their allies in allchat every other game. Not people who dont comply with what their team wants and blurt out one flame in SELF DEFENSE. Learn the difference troll.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sn1 View Post
    I will admit, if we interpret your comment based on the word-choice alone, your comment means well. The problem is, you just killed people on the opposing team and then proceeded to give them advice in a condescending voice. Example, I punch you in the face (on accident of course), then I say "Make sure you don't stand there next time I decide to swing my arm." Don't rub insult into injury. How long have you been playing dota 2? I am sure you have witnessed advice given, and how rarely it is appreciated. If you honestly were ignorant to the fact advice is not taken well in dota 2, well at least you learned something new to carry into the future.

One more thing. Your name makes almost everything you say sound like an asshole comment. Think of it this way, it's like someone named "Smart ass" is giving you advice. More than likely not taken well.
    Your argument doesn't seem very sound. How exactly is an actual crime like assault anywhere near as bad as killing someone in a video game? Even if we disregard the inaccuracy of this comparison, you're still claiming that it's "insult to injury" to give someone advice how to avoid dying in a video game. Giving out advice isn't actually really a hostile move unless you are bad at taking it. If you consider that it's against the rules to give advice, you're essentially reinforcing the idea that Dota 2 has one of the worst online communities out there, and that it can't handle things like taking advice without getting upset to the point of reporting you for communication abuse.

It would also be contradictory with rest of the game as the game gives you advice while you play the tutorial. There's also a mentor system coming to the game, which is based on the idea that one person gives advice to another. I guess you could still argue that we don't need to hear advice from your opponents, but in that case why is there all-chat in the first place? It serves no tactical purpose, so it's really only used for (apparently) insulting the other team and saying gg. You might as well remove all-chat completely. Or I don't know, make it something that you can only enable in the options like in LoL.

The "system" isn't automatically detecting insulting comments and randomly throwing bans around... it's only giving punishment based on player reports. Which were made by 100% real actual humans that found the comments to be insulting enough to warrant wasting a couple minutes to write said reports.

Why would you even need player reports if there was no penalty?
    The problem I have with the communication ban system is that the terrible Dota 2 community that needs to be moderated with such a system is also the same community in charge of handling the system. By doing this, you're essentially giving the power to ban people to the same people who tend to need bans. There's no actual reason to use the report feature for actual abusive players. People just tend to report whoever they don't like. Obviously being abusive gets you reported a lot, but so do a lot of other things. I've heard of people saying they've gotten reported for arguing with a teammate without actually being abusive in any way. Some other guy reported a player for buying a vanguard on AM. I don't think this is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoloTopPlz View Post
    Why the hell not? It seems like the PERFECT punishment to me. Mute ban to me is a last resort measure to be taken against true hardcore flamers that insist on cursing their allies in allchat every other game. Not people who dont comply with what their team wants and blurt out one flame in SELF DEFENSE. Learn the difference troll.
    Simply put, low priority queue is for players that purposefully ruin the game for others. Trashtalkers don't ruin games and they shouldn't have to play with feeders and trolls just for lacking manners.

Basic Member
    What kind of adequate system could penalize trashtalkers appropriately in a way that doesn't piss them off?
    That's a good question, but the issue here is whether or not the current system is a good penalty system. No, no, it's not.

I would prefer if Valve removed the system and made it easier for people to ignore those who are causing trouble. A simple language filter is better than what we have currently.