Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 155

Thread: Muted for giving advice apparently??

  1. #31
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by KazZae View Post
    How are you even a moderator with that logic and sensitivity?
    Ooh, I can asnwer this one.

    He's a mod because he makes a pretty good contribution to the community, and is able to keep his cool even when being 'debated' by flaming retards.

    Plus, his point was excellent. Those were trolling nics, and it's entirely possible that you could interpret the 'wise sensei' comment as being barbed. I wouldn't say anything in all-chat after I killed them. I somethings say something if I or they get away from the gank....
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Just to clarify, there was never any "win rate" calculation. Ever. It is true that a goal of matchmaking is to make even teams. The matchmaker also will raise your Elo and try to put you in players of equivalent skill, which indirectly tries to get the win rate to 50%. However, it has never looked at your historical win rate and put you in a game where it knew that you were expected to lose.
    Is every post on this forum about the Dunning-Kruger effect?

  2. #32
    Basic Member erik-the-red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,682
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    i already said that the nickname is not the problem, it is the indication of the problem.
    I type corrected then. But my point remains. We need player review. Otherwise, it's just mob rule. Worse, players will change their behaviors, but not in the ways that you want them to (e.g. rage ping spam, "Well played!" spam, courier feeding).
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.



    merci fenix

  3. #33
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolstone View Post
    Your argument doesn't seem very sound. How exactly is an actual crime like assault anywhere near as bad as killing someone in a video game? Even if we disregard the inaccuracy of this comparison, you're still claiming that it's "insult to injury" to give someone advice how to avoid dying in a video game. Giving out advice isn't actually really a hostile move unless you are bad at taking it. If you consider that it's against the rules to give advice, you're essentially reinforcing the idea that Dota 2 has one of the worst online communities out there, and that it can't handle things like taking advice without getting upset to the point of reporting you for communication abuse.
    The point was missed, that is fine. Maybe it was a poor choice.

    There is a clear difference between asking for advice and someone rudely offering their advice. The tutorial is an option that can be skipped, same with the mentoring system.

    It is obviously not against the rules to give advice, but it is well known people don't take it well. So you just get to live with the repercussions when you do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolstone View Post
    It would also be contradictory with rest of the game as the game gives you advice while you play the tutorial. There's also a mentor system coming to the game, which is based on the idea that one person gives advice to another. I guess you could still argue that we don't need to hear advice from your opponents, but in that case why is there all-chat in the first place? It serves no tactical purpose, so it's really only used for (apparently) insulting the other team and saying gg. You might as well remove all-chat completely. Or I don't know, make it something that you can only enable in the options like in LoL.
    Even if they took away all-chat you still would find a way to verbally harass players, for example even while muted you came up with several creative names to piss people off.

  4. #34
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by sn1 View Post
    There is a clear difference between asking for advice and someone rudely offering their advice.
    Just look at how street preachers are received.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Just to clarify, there was never any "win rate" calculation. Ever. It is true that a goal of matchmaking is to make even teams. The matchmaker also will raise your Elo and try to put you in players of equivalent skill, which indirectly tries to get the win rate to 50%. However, it has never looked at your historical win rate and put you in a game where it knew that you were expected to lose.
    Is every post on this forum about the Dunning-Kruger effect?

  5. #35
    Basic Member MeSoloTopPlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Top Lane, Stalking
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleako View Post
    Simply put, low priority queue is for players that purposefully ruin the game for others. Trashtalkers don't ruin games and they shouldn't have to play with feeders and trolls just for lacking manners.
    Bear with me on this : Do you think those who are muted for 1 week (justly or not, there is a huge margin between the people who are muted) would enjoy their games? NO. These very same people who were muted but never ruined games before would stop giving a shit because of how they feel they were wronged and would think "fuck it, if some random troll can report me and get away with it, im going to ruin games for others as well" and they would consequently play worse on purpose(or not-they cant communicate with their team,remember?) and ruin games even more for others and might end up getting to LPQ for it. I never saw that happen to be honest, because to be in LPQ you must have atleast a few abandons in a single week, in effect: You get muted -> you get pissed and grief more often -> you ruin games for many people -> you still dont go to LPQ because you dont abandon games.

    Valve did not think this through when they added this abysmal feature. I'm starting to wonder if they think at all about players considering how weak their response is to all these whine threads about mute bans plaguing the forums, If my game was consistently flooded by a complaint it would open my eyes to say the least.

    You blame OP for his "condescending tone" in his games but fail to realise most of the posts by mute supporters on this forum are exactly that : CONDESCENDING. The very system you defend would have you muted if you used that tone during a game, that much i assure you.

  6. #36
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by KazZae View Post
    How are you even a moderator with that logic and sensitivity?
    They take anyone who has nothing else to do with their life than read this forum.

  7. #37
    Basic Member D.E.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SPACE
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by MeSoloTopPlz View Post
    Bear with me on this : Do you think those who are muted for 1 week (justly or not, there is a huge margin between the people who are muted) would enjoy their games? NO. These very same people who were muted but never ruined games before would stop giving a shit because of how they feel they were wronged and would think "fuck it, if some random troll can report me and get away with it, im going to ruin games for others as well" and they would consequently play worse on purpose(or not-they cant communicate with their team,remember?) and ruin games even more for others and might end up getting to LPQ for it. I never saw that happen to be honest, because to be in LPQ you must have atleast a few abandons in a single week, in effect: You get muted -> you get pissed and grief more often -> you ruin games for many people -> you still dont go to LPQ because you dont abandon games.

    Valve did not think this through when they added this abysmal feature. I'm starting to wonder if they think at all about players considering how weak their response is to all these whine threads about mute bans plaguing the forums, If my game was consistently flooded by a complaint it would open my eyes to say the least.

    You blame OP for his "condescending tone" in his games but fail to realise most of the posts by mute supporters on this forum are exactly that : CONDESCENDING. The very system you defend would have you muted if you used that tone during a game, that much i assure you.
    You are wrong, the mute system is the gift that keeps on giving. Ive got well over 100 confirmed mutes and now that i can relentlessly punish abusers and get rewarded to punish more i truly am a bringer of law and a true shining star of how well the system works. I can punish people who need to be punished, the community needs me for people like you. I am the law.
    Pro MUTE System
    • If you complain about it, you're one of the people who have taken swift punishment from it. Proving it works.
    • If you keep arguing against it, you're a repeat offender, proving it works again.
    • ONLY REPEAT OFFENDERS continue to fight it.
    • Thank you Valve! Finally a system that shuts bad attitudes, big egos and ignorance down like a bad habit.

    Do you disagree? Please let me know why HERE!

  8. #38
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    people choose their nickname. it is very often the kind of "character" they intend to exhibit in their online presence.
    the name alone is not necessarily the reason for the report but it is a good indication of how a person behaves in their usual online game. you can compare it with a freudian slip if you want.

    "vodka vodka putin" is an indication for latent xenophobism
    "muted for saying ez" is an indication for trashtalking
    "me solo mid" is an indication for extremely selfish play


    i might not report people for all of those things myself, but the point is that there are people who find them offensive and they will report you. so either you take into account offending those people and take your mute or you manner up. it's as simple as that.
    I am baffled that you are actually a moderator.

    Regarding OP: Just quit dude. I know it doesn't sound great but there are other things to do in your free time than play Dota 2. I've invested ~1800 hours and ~100 euros in this game but at some point the frustration just became too big (mostly poorly matched games for me, though).
    Last edited by snwe; 06-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.

  9. #39
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by D.E.A. View Post
    You are wrong, the mute system is the gift that keeps on giving. Ive got well over 100 confirmed mutes and now that i can relentlessly punish abusers and get rewarded to punish more i truly am a bringer of law and a true shining star of how well the system works. I can punish people who need to be punished, the community needs me for people like you. I am the law.
    Well now we know for sure that current mute system makes people go kookoo for cocoa puffs. This guy even thinks his from "SPACE".

  10. #40
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    67
    lol

    Only in Dota 2 will you find that kind of sociopath.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •