Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 155

Thread: Muted for giving advice apparently??

  1. #41
    Basic Member D.E.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SPACE
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by max1c View Post
    Well now we know for sure that current mute system makes people go kookoo for cocoa puffs. This guy even thinks his from "SPACE".
    Hey the bottom line is the community needs some sheriffs and Valve has finally given us the opportunity to really make a positive difference.
    Pro MUTE System
    • If you complain about it, you're one of the people who have taken swift punishment from it. Proving it works.
    • If you keep arguing against it, you're a repeat offender, proving it works again.
    • ONLY REPEAT OFFENDERS continue to fight it.
    • Thank you Valve! Finally a system that shuts bad attitudes, big egos and ignorance down like a bad habit.

    Do you disagree? Please let me know why HERE!

  2. #42
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    67
    Yuck.

    The idea of even potentially being put on a team with you makes me want to puke.

  3. #43
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    i already said that the nickname is not the problem, it is the indication of the problem.
    So, the fact that I've been saying stuff like "?" and "easy" makes my point invalid or something? Why are you attacking that instead of the content of my posts? Or is it just the fact that I say these things that "indicate" that I'm an abusive person and that I deserve any bans I get, regardless of the actual reason? I'm not sure what you're going for here. I'm trying to argue that the system is flawed, and I've been using this recent ban as an example.

    The thing I've figured out is that it doesn't matter what you actually say. People ban whoever they're angry at. If they're angry at me, they'll report me. It doesn't matter if I call them the n-word or I just say "hello", I'm going to get reported. Is this what the system is supposed to be doing, letting the Dota 2 community, known for its irritability and hostility, to ban whoever they happen to be angry at? Is the line of thinking of "I'm really angry at this player. oh, he said "?", now I have a reason to report him for communication abuse" acceptable?

    Quote Originally Posted by sn1 View Post
    The point was missed, that is fine. Maybe it was a poor choice.

    There is a clear difference between asking for advice and someone rudely offering their advice. The tutorial is an option that can be skipped, same with the mentoring system.

    It is obviously not against the rules to give advice, but it is well known people don't take it well. So you just get to live with the repercussions when you do.
    Rudely offering advice? Do you feel offended when someone on your team tells you to buy wards, or when someone pings you and tells you to go back? Is giving advice inherently and objectively "disruptive and abusive" to the point of deserving bans? Or is it the combination of timing, who the person giving the advice is and the alignment of the stars that make it abusive? Should communication abuse be something that's actually defined and described somewhere, or should it just be something everyone decides for themselves?

    You say it's not against the rules to give advice, but then you say that I have to live with the repercussions of giving it. So is it against the rules or not? Why was I banned for something that wasn't against the rules?

    Quote Originally Posted by sn1 View Post
    Even if they took away all-chat you still would find a way to verbally harass players, for example even while muted you came up with several creative names to piss people off.
    Several? Which ones are those? I can understand "if i kill u it was easy" since I guess you can get offended if someone implies that they are actually better at something than you. I've used that name for a whopping total of two games. What are the rest? Is "muted for saying easy" one of them? I have to make it clear that I'm muted or people will get mad at me for not talking. I included the reason in the name because I thought it was hilarious.

    Do you guys consider "this person is killing me and saying stuff when he does it, he's making me angry" the same thing as "this person is being abusive?" If the answer is yes, then I hope you see what the problem with the system is. It's entirely subjective. People can ban anyone for anything. What's stopping people from reporting the Russians on their team just for speaking Russian? How about reporting people for not buying the courier and having a bad reason for it? Isn't it a bad thing that the whole definition of "abusive" is entirely arbitrary?

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    "me solo mid" is an indication for extremely selfish play
    Not really. I think you might have a hostile attitude if you think that. Here's the thing:

    1) Mid is the lane I'm best at. I'm poor at carrying and supporting (in proportion to my MMR). Decent at initiating.
    2) I have no other way of communicating that I'm calling the lane for myself. If I don't have that name, people are just going to get frustrated when I try to claim mid as Tiny or whatever.
    3) Calling a lane for yourself is selfish now? Yeah, let's ban all those abusive fuckers who say "mid" in the start of the game.

    edit: vvvv saying easy: 20 years in the cubes
    Last edited by Foolstone; 06-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.

  4. #44
    Basic Member D.E.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SPACE
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by snwe View Post
    Yuck.

    The idea of even potentially being put on a team with you makes me want to puke.
    With an attitude like that on the forums i can just imagine what your like in game.

    Repeat offender.
    Pro MUTE System
    • If you complain about it, you're one of the people who have taken swift punishment from it. Proving it works.
    • If you keep arguing against it, you're a repeat offender, proving it works again.
    • ONLY REPEAT OFFENDERS continue to fight it.
    • Thank you Valve! Finally a system that shuts bad attitudes, big egos and ignorance down like a bad habit.

    Do you disagree? Please let me know why HERE!

  5. #45
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    67
    I'm pretty nice, actually. I'm also assuming that you're trolling after that post.

    Foolstone: stop trying to make a sound argument to people who are not willing to change their mind, it's kinda painful to watch.

  6. #46
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    11,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolstone View Post
    So, the fact that I've been saying stuff like "?" and "easy" makes my point invalid or something? Why are you attacking that instead of the content of my posts? Or is it just the fact that I say these things that "indicate" that I'm an abusive person and that I deserve any bans I get, regardless of the actual reason? I'm not sure what you're going for here. I'm trying to argue that the system is flawed, and I've been using this recent ban as an example.

    The thing I've figured out is that it doesn't matter what you actually say. People ban whoever they're angry at. If they're angry at me, they'll report me. It doesn't matter if I call them the n-word or I just say "hello", I'm going to get reported. Is this what the system is supposed to be doing, letting the Dota 2 community, known for its irritability and hostility, to ban whoever they happen to be angry at? Is the line of thinking of "I'm really angry at this player. oh, he said "?", now I have a reason to report him for communication abuse" acceptable?
    the way i see it, you are one of the (many) people who try to test out the limits of the report system.
    you try to maintain as much from the disruptive behaviour that you are well aware of by changing into a more subtle mode.
    you dont say "you suck", you say "ez" or "?". while you are not blatantly offensive anymore, you are still doing everything you can to get back at/to the other guy.
    the same goes for the teaching thing. i suspect that you tried to take it one step further. be even less offensive while still trying to piss off other players. that's just my perception here but that perception isnt even the point.
    the point is that the other players arent stupid. they know very well when you are trying to annoy them even when you dont use swear words. they are aware of harrassment that an automated system could not possibly detect.
    and those are the ones that report you and given enough reports you will eventually be muted.

    so how do you avoid being muted? by trying to be nice and honest.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

    Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

  7. #47
    The type of people that defend the mute system, like Sir 'Bleako' here, are the types that have THOUSANDS of posts on the forums that don't even play the game.

  8. #48
    He was trying to be nice and honest by giving the opposing team nice and honest feedback as to why they were losing. You don't even play the game, stop pretending to have an understanding of the community and what goes on between teams.

  9. #49
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    67
    If you were being bashed for being bad every other game you'd be in favor of such an extremely oppressive system as well.

    PROTIP: Don't double-post, use edit instead.

  10. #50
    Basic Member D.E.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SPACE
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfeesh View Post
    The type of people that defend the mute system, like Sir 'Bleako' here, are the types that have THOUSANDS of posts on the forums that don't even play the game.
    He plays, the difference is he follows simple rules so the mute system works for him. Unfortunately many people mostly ones from broken homes have an issue with rules. So it takes several mutes before common sense kicks in.
    Pro MUTE System
    • If you complain about it, you're one of the people who have taken swift punishment from it. Proving it works.
    • If you keep arguing against it, you're a repeat offender, proving it works again.
    • ONLY REPEAT OFFENDERS continue to fight it.
    • Thank you Valve! Finally a system that shuts bad attitudes, big egos and ignorance down like a bad habit.

    Do you disagree? Please let me know why HERE!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •