Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Muted for giving advice apparently??

Basic Member

Muted for giving advice apparently??

Hello duders,

My last chatban ended on last thursday (I earned that chatban by saying "?" in chat after ganking folks). Anyway, I decided to do some good for a while and give out advice while playing Dota 2. I played about 3 games before I decided I was done for the night. People reacted surprisingly negatively. Last sunday I found out my communications were taken away for another week. Is giving advice considered abusive now?

Here are links to the three games I played. I'm "wise sensei"

http://dotabuff.com/matches/218868254
    http://dotabuff.com/matches/218837670
    http://dotabuff.com/matches/218709351

Can someone figure out what the abusive thing I said was? Assuming Valve is telling the truth, I was abusive in all of those games since they don't chatban you for getting reported in one match.

Here's a picture that explains my situation:

Last edited by Foolstone; 06-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Seems like this Plague called mute ban is really coming back to bite valve in the......forums.

OT: I dont know, what i do know from what i've seen is that you can get muted if you are reported in 2 games in a row, no matter if you earned it or not, so tread lightly, Match making added another hazard to it's name.

Playing solo is a gamble nowadays, you have to behave your best to not offend anyone. Almost feels like a concentration camp where one word said at the wrong place in the wrong time can end up with getting you muted.

Worst part is for the repeat offenders, if you were reported once - say a month ago- got banned for 24 hours, then said to yourself "o shit, i have to be careful how i behave!"

and are well mannered for this one month and then suddenly you piss someone off again and get reported - BAM! Muted for 48 hours, and so forth.

I don't like this system at all. I think after a week ban they should reset the reports on a player, so the next time he gets a single report it doesnt count as a "pattern" and net him another week ban for a single report.

It's kinda unrealistic to expect people to react positively to criticism given by complete strangers. Especially when the one giving advices is an opponent. This is just insulting and condescending.
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.

im sorry but the chat i saw in that picture came off as really really arrogant. and if you would please believe me, im not just saying that

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Talron View Post
    im sorry but the chat i saw in that picture came off as really really arrogant. and if you would please believe me, im not just saying that
    Look at his nick in game. "Wise Sensei" He's obviously making a funny joke by giving advice because his name implies he is a "wise sensei" . You SEE? People are stripped of their sense of HUMOUR in this new idiotic system. You can't have fun anymore, hell ANTI MAGE is a happy go lucky drug lord compared to this stupid mute ban.People are forced to behave like bots, the only communication they have is that of "ganging this lane, ganging that lane, going back" is this what valve wants?POLITE NAZI DOTA?

Basic Member
    smurfing to dodge mute. getting muted on the smurf.
    life sure is tough on you.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolstone View Post
    Hello duders,

My last chatban ended on last thursday (I earned that chatban by saying "?" in chat after ganking folks).
    Dick move, ban deserved. I won't expand on this much further, as it is not the main topic of this thread. I just wanted to ensure you were aware that the gesture mentioned above is not appreciated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolstone View Post
    Anyway, I decided to do some good for a while and give out advice while playing Dota 2. I played about 3 games before I decided I was done for the night. People reacted surprisingly negatively. Last sunday I found out my communications were taken away for another week. Is giving advice considered abusive now?

Here are links to the three games I played. I'm "wise sensei"

Can someone figure out what was the abusive thing I said? Assuming Valve is telling the truth, I was abusive in all of those games since they don't chatban you for getting reported in one match.
    I will admit, if we interpret your comment based on the word-choice alone, your comment means well. The problem is, you just killed people on the opposing team and then proceeded to give them advice in a condescending voice. Example, I punch you in the face (on accident of course), then I say "Make sure you don't stand there next time I decide to swing my arm." Don't rub insult into injury. How long have you been playing dota 2? I am sure you have witnessed advice given, and how rarely it is appreciated. If you honestly were ignorant to the fact advice is not taken well in dota 2, well at least you learned something new to carry into the future.

One more thing. Your name makes almost everything you say sound like an asshole comment. Think of it this way, it's like someone named "Smart ass" is giving you advice. More than likely not taken well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleako View Post
    It's kinda unrealistic to expect people to react positively to criticism given by complete strangers. Especially when the one giving advices is an opponent. This is just insulting and condescending.
    What's even more insulting and condescending is the fact that this system treats people like weak-minded, little victims, who cannot handle the slightest bit of adversity.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    smurfing to dodge mute. getting muted on the smurf.
    life sure is tough on you.
    I wasn't on a smurf account??

http://dotabuff.com/players/26626955

I've been playing on the same account since the game came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldrax View Post
    What's even more insulting and condescending is the fact that this system treats people like weak-minded, little victims, who cannot handle the slightest bit of adversity.
    The "system" isn't automatically detecting insulting comments and randomly throwing bans around... it's only giving punishment based on player reports. Which were made by 100% real actual humans that found the comments to be insulting enough to warrant wasting a couple minutes to write said reports.

Why would you even need player reports if there was no penalty?
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-17-2013 at 01:03 PM.