Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Slark's Shadow Dance Passive doesn't linger

Volunteer Moderator

[Confirmed] Slark's Shadow Dance Passive doesn't linger

Summary:

Shadow Dance's passive healing should be based off a % healing ward aura, which lingers for 2-4 seconds after it is triggered to stop, due to the aura fadetime bizzo (similarly to jugg's healing ward). It currently stops immediately nerfing shadow dance drastically! (Should be 2-4 seconds more healing after you use your ulti, if not revealed)

Repro steps:

1) Pick slark
    2) run into tower and get hurt
    3) run away and wait for regen timer to start
    4) run back into the tower again

Result:

Shadow dance instantly stops healing

Expected result:

Healing lingers for 2-4 seconds, making it stay up for substantially longer, and effectively healing you a LOT more when getting chased.
    Last edited by Wyn-Ryder; 06-22-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Basic Member
    http://www.playdota.com/heroes/murlo...awler#skill492 - "has a 0.5 second delay on activation and deactivation"

If the DotA 1 behaviour is a 2-4 second delay in deactivation, I'd guess it's an intended change in DotA 2?

Volunteer Moderator
    No. It's an aura thing for the healing component. It's 0.5 seconds + 2 - 4 seconds. Think of jugg's healing ward.
    Last edited by Wyn-Ryder; 06-22-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Basic Member
    There is a reason why Dota 2 is created. To get away with the Warcraft 3 engine's limitation. If you are going to port every thing in Warcraft Dota, even if it is due to a limitation in Warcraft, then why create Dota 2. I think (only my opinion) that it is an intended change and I hope so.

Volunteer Moderator
    Well why would they port it for things like fountain, but not things like heart/shadow dance? It makes a massive balance difference and these skills have been balanced around it.

Volunteer Moderator
    That's 21% of his health healed more than in dota 2... Now if that's not huge I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by skudo12 View Post
    There is a reason why Dota 2 is created. To get away with the Warcraft 3 engine's limitation.
    this isn't engine limitation, coding a health regeneration without using ladder fountain aura isn't that hard, intended or not difference can still be reported i suppose, the frog even took a long time to make medusa's ulti the way it is supposed to be
    Testing bugs between DOTA 2 and DotA - No Test Client
    Common Gameplay Bugs list
    Intended Gameplay Fix list
    Times quoted: OVER NINE THOUSAND

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCream View Post
    Almost of every pokemon game that have online match. 75% of player are using full legendary pokemon team with all of them being sent out from master ball. And they got pawn by Magikarp.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyn-Ryder View Post
    Well why would they port it for things like fountain, but not things like heart/shadow dance? It makes a massive balance difference and these skills have been balanced around it.
    It depends on what you consider to be an engine limitation, because if Shadow Dance (and Heart for that matter) were both, in DotA 1, based off of the fountain aura, then I would immediately consider that an engine limitation; the fact that the fountain aura still has a 2 second delay could be considered intentional because that's how AoE auras are supposed to work, but strictly speaking Shadow Dance (and Heart) shouldn't be AoE auras (they only apply to that target unit) and hence shouldn't fall under the banner of fountain aura heal delay.

I guess it comes down to whether the devs thought of this as intended, or are thinking of it as a bug.

It is not an engine limitation when you can take other ways.... When are people going to learn this.

Instead of using that aura for HoT and Shadow Dance, he simply could have make the heal fully triggered, and that's not hard to do at all as already stated in this thread. But Icefrog choose to do it with that aura and the 2-4 seconds lingering is a part of that.
    Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    It might not be hard to make it fully triggered, but what I'm pointing out is that the playdota description itself contradicts the WC3 behaviour. The playdota description of Heart states that it is "Disabled if the bearer took damage from a player or from Roshan in the last 6 seconds (4 for melee)". The Shadow Dance skill description suggests that the passive buff should end 0.5 seconds after Slark enters vision (which, in WC3 DotA, it does). The fact that the heal is directly linked to the passive intuitively suggests that it was intended for the heal to be removed when the passive was (i.e. 0.5 seconds after Slark enters enemy vision), but instead the passive ends 0.5 seconds after entering enemy vision, and the heal continues for another 2-4 seconds after that. Just because IceFrog chose to make these aura-based rather than trigger-based could be a result of many things other than balance consideration; hence, as I said, it's up to the devs to say for certain whether this should be an intended change, or a bug.