Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Allow the community to improve Dota2 (SDK+DEDICATED SERVER)

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Allow the community to improve Dota2 (SDK+DEDICATED SERVER)

[Great Suggestion] take advantage of the Source Engine.

I think that might be drawn more from the Source Engine.
    Things that usually have the source engine games are:
    Dedicated servers, mods, creating maps with Hammer Editor
    And Source Dedicated Server Source SDK.
    Ideas
    - Add two game modes. Normal (classificatory/matchmaking) / Free.* (As in: Dungeon Defenders)

- If so F2P sold, sell "skin" of character. (As in: League of Legends)
    - Source SDK could be used for creating skins, and include a workshop for Skins. (As in: Team Fortress 2)

- My ideas for how free will:
    - Add creation of Dedicated Servers. (As in: CSS, CS, TF2, DOD:S... Dungeon Defenders...)
    - Allow creation of Mods. Hammer editor to create maps for Dota2 (For a game mode "Free Mode / Open Play")

I think the base is to play in two ways:
    -The traditional way, qualifying or not.
    -Dedicated servers that make the community grow and evolve (mappers, modders, scripters, communities, etc)

-Using a "SDK" and "Steam Workshop" Users can help to end models of the heroes of DotA
    -Could also collaborate in the creation of objects.

*The normal mode is hosted on servers at Valve./While the free mode is hosted on servers users.

It is a Dota2 not DotA. Take advantage of the new engine would be great.

-Possibly already preparing ... But they should think about launching the SDK for the beta.
    So the community can assist the evolution of the beta (and creation of characters). Creating maps and multiple improvements for the final release.

* Approved * green *

Dedicated servers would be a world apart and games should not affect the games on official servers. So my comparison is with * DungeonDefenders

Dedicated servers allow many more players, less saturation of the official servers, more freedom for entertainment and that if any player gets tired, has something different to entertain in the game.
    Last edited by Tr0n0s; 06-13-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: green

Basic Member
    You know what would be epic? A custom survival map where a team selects a group of heroes to defend waves of monsters.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solo123 View Post
    You know what would be epic? A custom survival map where a team selects a group of heroes to defend waves of monsters.
    Nono, you got it all wrong, a better idea would be to have a custom RTS map where two separate factions of champions fend off hordes of minions.

So you want the game to literally be a tower defense game?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkirby View Post
    So you want the game to literally be a tower defense game?
    No, I'm saying it would be a bonus if users get to tamper with the map editor and host custom maps (a bit like SC2's custom games).

Basic Member
    The idea is ... more or less what you say all ... Let the community grow by itself, as did CSS / TF2

It is a source engine! Demonstrate its potential (Valve / Icefrog)!

Basic Member
    i would love any TD/fun maps ported into dota2 itself.

Banned
    You mean something like AoS?

I really think they should make it possible for users to create custom maps.
    Give others the chance that you've been given once, Icefrog!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    You mean something like AoS?

I really think they should make it possible for users to create custom maps.
    Give others the chance that you've been given once, Icefrog!
    Excuse me while I use the DotA 2 map editor to make a 4-team 20-man DotA map.

...how crazy would that be?

Basic Member
    More modding options make for a more dedicated and bigger community. So this is a T-Up. Although most mods wouldn't be used much it would still add to the experience (especially something like 6v6, OMG, LoD...).