Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Report System Experiment #1 (May 13th - May 27th)

Basic Member
    16/34 people where chat banned for communication abuse, and they only uses the comm. wheel. (not including 48hour and 7day mutes just to make it easier)

this part is the important part.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    We don't know that our population has normal distribution, n=30 assumes normal distribution. We don't know that. In fact I think our population may be very skewed one way, which means you need a MUCH larger sample size

because our information on the population is low, assuming 30> is enough is silly, we probably need several thousand to get any data thats meaningful, (also, the sample is biased, since "An added note, my group of friends has chosen to refrain from purchasing anything from valve until you do fix the current system, they seem to agree with me that in it's current state it only causes more damage to the community than good."), so still useless data
    Well I'm not even going to try to convince you anymore because now you are just saying random stuff. There are probably Intro to Statistics classes at your local city college if you want to learn more.

Basic Member
    We don't know that our population has normal distribution, n=30 assumes normal distribution. We don't know that. In fact I think our population may be very skewed one way, which means you need a MUCH larger sample size

because our information on the population is low, assuming 30> is enough is silly, we probably need several thousand to get any data thats meaningful, (also, the sample is biased, since "An added note, my group of friends has chosen to refrain from purchasing anything from valve until you do fix the current system, they seem to agree with me that in it's current state it only causes more damage to the community than good."), so still useless data
    Even if the pool is to small. 16/34 people got muted for NOTHING
    Regardless of the number, this shouldn't be allowed to happen.

You must also account for that fact that once people learn of the said system and how its automated, that they will then abuse the system, this is happening the % will get higher and higher.
    Last edited by || Nerf ||; 06-23-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Well I'm not even going to try to convince you anymore because now you are just saying random stuff. There are probably Intro to Statistics classes at your local city college if you want to learn more.
    I'm not saying random shit, our sample is biased, our sample is too small, and we don't know enough about our population to assume 30 is enough

When in doubt, err for MORE data than less.

Quote Originally Posted by || Nerf || View Post
    Even if the pool is to small. 16/34 people got muted for NOTHING
    Regardless of the number, this shouldn't be allowed to happen.
    forgive me for saying this but..

We don't know that. We simply know half of them were muted. We don't know how they acted. Everything in this is taken from good faith on the part of the readers, to believe the data on people being muted innocently, we don't have any evidence of what their actions were or how they acted.

Basic Member
    our sample is biased, our sample is too small, and we don't know enough about our population to assume 30 is enough
    Honestly... I don't even... I mean seriously? I thought everyone has to take at least basic statistics? Please just don't even use the word population or sample until you get a dictionary.

Basic Member
    forgive me for saying this but..

We don't know that. We simply know half of them were muted. We don't know how they acted. Everything in this is taken from good faith on the part of the readers, to believe the data on people being muted innocently, we don't have any evidence of what their actions were or how they acted.
    and most importantly ONLY USED THE CHAT WHEEL FOR COMMUNICATION.
    Kind of an important part..

I used big letters just so you don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Honestly... I don't even... I mean seriously? I thought everyone has to take at least basic statistics? Please just don't even use the word population or sample until you get a dictionary.
    whats wrong with my argument. You have to know your population is 'normal' to assume 30 is enough

we don't know our population is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by || Nerf || View Post

Kind of an important part..

I used big letters just so you don't miss it.
    Yes, but as we all know, communication reports are used for more than communication (which is unfortunate, because that really messes up the system)

Basic Member
    Ignore Shaella, he/she is yet another DEA white knighting the broken system.

What I find amazing is that you guys are thinking only 16 participants were communication banned... ALL BUT 1 WAS COMMUNICATION BANNED! The only only that never received a ban was the one that started in low-priority but ended in normal-high skill bracket.

16 recieved bans for only 24 hours throughout the experiment

10 received bans for 48 (meaning they received a 24 in the past and got a 48 later)

7 received bans for 7 days (meaning they received a 24 AND a 48 in the past)