Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Report System Experiment #1 (May 13th - May 27th)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynxvarn View Post
    Ignore Shaella, he/she is yet another DEA white knighting the broken system.

What I find amazing is that you guys are thinking only 16 participants were communication banned... ALL BUT 1 WAS COMMUNICATION BANNED! The only only that never received a ban was the one that started in low-priority but ended in normal-high skill bracket.

16 recieved bans for only 24 hours throughout the experiment

10 received bans for 48 (meaning they received a 24 in the past and got a 48 later)

7 received bans for 7 days (meaning they received a 24 AND a 48 in the past)
    So we know our sample is definitely fucked then, because there are PLENTY of people who aren't getting com banned over the course of 2 weeks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    whats wrong with my argument. You have to know your population is 'normal' to assume 30 is enough

we don't know our population is normal.
    If you believe Valve's numbers from that blog post, which you clearly do since you have it in your quote, then the sample is more or less normal. It is impossible for us to get the exact data of course, only Valve has that, but part of statistics is working with what you have. Accrding to Valve's blog post, a small percentage of the players are currently chat banned, which implies that the distribution is more or less normal. You have a large amount of "normal" playesr (not chat banned) and very few on the extremes (chat banned). That is normal distribution and why I said to get a dictionary. Maybe look at a graph and you will have a better understanding. Just imagine the big center portion of the graph as normal, unbanned players, and the edges of the graph as chat muted players. Hope this clears it up.

If the distribution was not normal, then "less than 1% of the active player base are currently banned" would not be true.
    Last edited by Sigma; 06-23-2013 at 12:00 PM.

This whole post/experiment is rendered invalid just from the fact that you simply do not have access to the same massive amount of data and resources that Valve has about player behaviour and their systems/infrastructure
    So, no matter what, your experiment bears no weight by default and you can not possibly expect to draw valid conclusions by it. Only anecdotal evidence (and as far as we know it may be biased, or otherwise tampered with, we do not know you, you are not an established entity with any kind of proof of the validity of your claims).

A small group of friends of mine have done an experiment on the wonderful report system and have found valve to be extremely misleading when it comes to "facts" about this new system.
    Because obviously you have access to the same data Valve has, and you can confirm this. Again, the only thing you have is anecdotal evidence, do not try to impose your anecdotal evidence from your limited point of view/research over the results that Valve can come up with, as having more weight. They are not comparable.

the broken system that is killing public ques.
    The hyperbole.

People are now AFRAID to talk to each other because of the rampant misuse of the report system, and it makes any que other than one with 3+ friends a huge gamble on if you will be communication banned or not, typically for the smallest of reasons.
    Speak for yourself and do not generalise.

Now, let us talk numbers... Really think about how much 1% of the current player base is.

1% of 3,400,000 is 34,000. By valve's estimates 34,000 people are currently under communication ban.

How many truly "unique" players are there in 3,400,000? To give benefit of the doubt, I am going to assume only a couple hundred thousand are mule accounts, remakes/fresh starts, secondaries due to mutes, etc.
    You see, thing is, Valve do not mention any "current player base", nor "unique users" nor 3.4 million players, all they make mention of is "1% of the active player base"
    That "active player base" has a potential upper limit of 3.4 million users. That does not mean that 3.4 million players are actively playing in reality.
    Most likely it is somewhere along the lines of whatever the currently online users are, and probably some more than that. But 3.4 million is the ideal (see unachievable) supremum.
    So, the 1%, is even less than 34,000.

If 34,000 is not a lot of people (even out of 1.5-2 million) then my sense of volume is incredibly skewed. Think about how many of those reports are for legitimate purposes, from what I have seen in game maybe 20% of them are LEGITIMATE reports. By that estimate it is 27,200 people that are under communication ban for the wrong reasons.
    Again, more anecdotal experiences and made up percentages. You are just a fraction of the playerbase and you cannot possibly have any knowledge of what is happening in the greater picture. Unlike Valve. The sooner you realise that.

The total amount of reports has dropped by 30%, but each player only has 2 reports per week now. Compared to the 7 per week that you had prior to the change of the system.

That means MORE people are being reported now than ever before, but there are less reports because they only allow us to make 2? It doesn't make much sense after looking at the forums...
    What Shaella told you somewhere above. Also, in the end, the number of available reports probably doesn't mean much.
    Plus, a lot of things stop making sense in the forum, don't sweat it.

I did read your experiment, but I am not going to make any points or observations on it, reason is explained in the opening paragraph.

Sure, the mute system could be improved, by means of like letting the muted player know what was it that led to his mute, and constantly fine tuning the algorithms behind it to reduce false positives, but that's all.
    The mute system is most definitely not killing any game, and it will likely stay.

Also, if you are still not convinced that the number of complainers here (with or without a valid reason) is minuscule, compared to the greater picture, consider this mental excercise. And he is even assuming an active player base of 3.4 million.
    Last edited by CloisterBlack; 06-23-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Basic Member
    Ignore Shaella, he/she is yet another DEA white knighting the broken system.

What I find amazing is that you guys are thinking only 16 participants were communication banned... ALL BUT 1 WAS COMMUNICATION BANNED! The only only that never received a ban was the one that started in low-priority but ended in normal-high skill bracket.

16 recieved bans for only 24 hours throughout the experiment

10 received bans for 48 (meaning they received a 24 in the past and got a 48 later)

7 received bans for 7 days (meaning they received a 24 AND a 48 in the past)
    Oh, so we are talking unique bans, My bad, I figured if someone got a 7d they where also counted in the other pools.

Yes, but as we all know, communication reports are used for more than communication (which is unfortunate, because that really messes up the system)
    Pretty sure that is what this is about! the abuse of the system.. oh my..

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    If you believe Valve's numbers from that blog post, which you clearly do since you have it in your quote, then the sample is more or less normal. It is impossible for us to get the exact data of course, only Valve has that, but part of statistics is working with what you have. Accrding to Valve's blog post, a small percentage of the players are currently chat banned, which implies that the distribution is more or less normal. You have a large amount of "normal" playesr (not chat banned) and very few on the extremes (chat banned). That is normal distribution and why I said to get a dictionary. Maybe look at a graph and you will have a better understanding. Just imagine the big center portion of the graph as normal, unbanned players, and the edges of the graph as chat muted players. Hope this clears it up.
    See, what you're not getting is its entirely possible for all 34 to fit within the 1% of mute banned. Its too small a number for the circumstances, you wouldn't take a survey of 34 people on their political leanings and claim it represented the entire nation.

Quote Originally Posted by || Nerf || View Post
    Oh, so we are talking unique bans, My bad, I figured if someone got a 7d they where also counted in the other pools.

Pretty sure that is what this is about! the abuse of the system.. oh my..
    Yes, the system is abuseable, but this data is useless because it simply doesn't tell us enough.

I agree its a problem that people are using comm reports for everything, but we don't know if the players didn't deserve to be reported for something in the first place.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    Yes, the system is abuseable, but this data is useless because it simply doesn't tell us enough.

I agree its a problem that people are using comm reports for everything, but we don't know if the players didn't deserve to be reported for something in the first place.
    Regardless of size, 33/34 people got banned, This should not be allowed to happen.

Tell me what is a good number to you?

Quote Originally Posted by || Nerf || View Post
    Regardless of size, 33/34 people got banned, This should not be allowed to happen.

Tell me what is a good number to you?
    33/34 might have also been an anomaly.

I'd want to see at least a thousand.

Please don't start the "white knight" crying. You're showing your opinion, points and evidence for something that you believe, just like Shaella and others are doing.

I thank your effort to try out an experiment, and I understand that you think that it's enough to get to the conclusion that the mute system is flawed, but for me and most people, I would imagine, that is NOT enough. Indeed, you need more data.
    Nothing is perfect, therefore the system is "flawed", there is a lot of room for improvement, just not in the way most people complain about.

Also, I'm sorry, but I've never witnessed within my own group of game friends (that surpasses your 30ish people) someone being banned without a reason. The ones who complain about it deserved their ban, and I say that because I play and know them, but, just like yours, this is just personal experience/anecdotal evidence, and that's not enough to conclude anything.
    Last edited by gugglle; 06-23-2013 at 12:25 PM.

This is not an experiment that the community should be doing, this is something that the Valve QA team should be working on (if they aren't doing it yet). Sorry for sounding like a prick OP but no one here has any reason to believe that your data is actually correct.

I could make an alternate account and post my own fake results from my own fake experiment and people wouldn't have any more reasons to believe me.

Seriously, 89% of the teammates I played with like grapes, more precisely 167 out of 186 players. Trust me, I had 3 friends helping me on gathering that data. /s
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.