Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Intended?] Glimpse "Reset" Duration is Wrong

Basic Member

[Intended?] Glimpse "Reset" Duration is Wrong

The npc_abilities.txt and the tooltips list
    Code:
    "backtrack_time"            "4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0"
    meaning the unit's position will be set back by 4 seconds. In DotA 1, the unit's position is set back by 3.5-3.74999... seconds.
    Time Lapse is working correctly in this regard, as it sets Weaver back by 5 seconds in Dota 2, and by 4.5-4.99999... seconds in DotA 1 (presumably, by the tooltips; the "backtrack time" is not listed in npc_abilities.txt).
    It is notable that all tooltips in-game in DotA 1 and on PlayDotA do not reflect the actual in-game behavior.

Other Glimpse stats that I don't know about as they aren't in npc_abilities.txt:
    The projectile should either travel at a speed of 600 or so that it arrives in 1.8 seconds, whichever is faster.

But by the time the spell kicks in, 1 second passes.

Or am I misunderstanding the part where you explained that? [glimpse is a projectile?]

Basic Member
    Glimpse:
    As soon as Disruptor reaches Cast Point, the target location is chosen, based on where it was 4 seconds ago in Dota 2, or where it was 3.5-3.74999... seconds ago in DotA 1. Once this happens, a "lightning ball" travels from the unit's current location to the target location. The speed of the Lightning Ball will either be set to 600 or set to a speed that will allow it to reach the target in 1.8 seconds, whichever is faster. The maximum delay between when Glimpse reaches cast point and when the relocation completes is 1.8 seconds, but there is no minimum delay.

Basic Member
    now what's the point of this thread? 4 or 3.5-3.75... does it really matter? Maybe it has to do with how the server works? and at the end it's the same anyways. If not, I prefer 4 sec, it's a more logic number.

Basic Member
    The point is that Dota is a game where I've seen 0.1 seconds matter, and I just report overlooked discrepancies. The fact that there is a range in DotA 1 is more or less an engine limitation, but the fact that it's blatantly off by up to 0.5 seconds is not.

Basic Member
    i am a bit confused. it appears that time lapse saves weavers position every half second in wc3 dota, while glimpse saves it every quarter second.
    is there any explanation for this?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    i am a bit confused. it appears that time lapse saves weavers position every half second in wc3 dota, while glimpse saves it every quarter second.
    Weaver was released earlier than Disruptor, and by the time raptor-man came out there was less of an engine/memory limitation?

Basic Member
    less of a memory limitation to continously save 4 values?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

less of a memory limitation to continously save 4 values?
    It's a guess :P
    I recall map size being a real limitation before a late w3 update. Weaver could have had the data saved 10 times per second, but if it was a limitation, twice per second is also reasonable and shaves off a kb or two.

Basic Member
    Welcome back blash! Where have you been?

Yes, this is correct. Why it is like this, I don't know. Time Lapse has 11 slots at 0.5 second intervals where it saves Weaver's position and HP/MP, and it chooses the second-to-last slot. Glimpse uses 14 slots at 0.25 second intervals. and it chooses the last one.
    (Glimpse also saves data for some units it doesn't need to, and both Glimpse and Time Lapse use a rather inefficient form of a queue, but whatever.)